Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
4,292 Posts
Um....it makes the car run about 20 degrees cooler.

·
Premium Member
728 Posts
Still going to run pretty much near the same temps as before unless you adjust your cooling fan settings to make them come on earlier.

·
Vendor
12,262 Posts
in order to achieve better emission levels and improve fuel economy, Chrysler sets up the Hemis to run at about 223 degrees,

220+ is great for emission levels and fuel economy, but not so good for performance, by reducing the engine temperature, hps is increased.....sort of like our cars run much better when humidity is low and were into the 30 and 40 ambient temp, the cooler the engine temperature the better it performs, too cold can also reduce performance, mid 190's is near perfect for these motors

for a 180 thermostat to be effective, the cooling fans will have to be set 20 degrees lower

Luke

·
Premium Member
9 Posts
Do you have a part number for the Mishimoto 180 tstat? I noticed in another post that you recommend the Mishimoto. I couldn't find one online for a 2014.

·
Registered
500 Posts
So if im following this logic luke....and i just thought of this after so many tstat threads...you could put in the 180 and only changs the fans on track day lower...and leave the settings stock for regular driving to keep the mpgs for everyday

in order to achieve better emission levels and improve fuel economy, Chrysler sets up the Hemis to run at about 223 degrees,

220+ is great for emission levels and fuel economy, but not so good for performance, by reducing the engine temperature, hps is increased.....sort of like our cars run much better when humidity is low and were into the 30 and 40 ambient temp, the cooler the engine temperature the better it performs, too cold can also reduce performance, mid 190's is near perfect for these motors

for a 180 thermostat to be effective, the cooling fans will have to be set 20 degrees lower

Luke

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
If the fan settings are left stock, the engine will only run cooler on the highway when the natural air flow is enough to drive-down the radiator temps.

Around town, the engine temps will not be lower, since the engine relies heavily on the fans for cooling at low vehicle speeds.

Since the point of a 180 stat is to reduce heat soak and the associated power loss, changing the fan settings should always be done when a 180 stat is installed.

The Jet 180 stat is a drop-in, it has the bleeder hole and it's a quality piece which has been proven not to throw codes. I've had one in my Ram for 7 years and in my Challenger for 3 years - no problems at all.

·
Registered
‘13 Challenger SRT 6M
2,817 Posts
As per Luke at Steve Whites, I went with the Mishimoto. Little more expensive, but was told well worth it. Penny wise dollar foolish isn't in my thinking.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
Here's a question, will lowering the fan settings have any effect on a stock thermostat?

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
I heard the 180 can throw codes in cold weather because it doesn't allow the car to reach temp fast enough or something like that..

True??

·
Premium Member
4,634 Posts
I heard the 180 can throw codes in cold weather because it doesn't allow the car to reach temp fast enough or something like that..

True??
I've run a 180* thermostat all winter here in Nebraska before, and I never threw a code. If you are that concerned about it, just adjust your fan settings to a higher temp with your tuner... problem solved. Then when it warms up put them back to how you had them before.

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
I was thinking about installing the 91 tune, (using 93 octane) since I think I had a tank of bad gas when I tried it before...I know the tune is for lower fan settings, so I was concerned about winter/fall driving..

Apparently all is good with the Jet or Mishimoto 180 t-stat..

(can I hijack the thread.. if anyone can PM me... I'd like to know what % throttle boost is built into the 91 tune, and also if I add throttle boost, is it added on top of whats in there, or will the tune load it exactly with the setting % I select?

Thanks..
Ellis

·
Registered
1,489 Posts

True??
That will never occur.

·
Registered
3,338 Posts
why do people keep saying you have to change the fan settings. NOT TRUE.

put one in mine and several other cars. car runs cooler!
In bumper to bumper traffic, it will run at the 210 range but once you start moving again, in town or on highway temps drop back down to 190's

buy one and try it.

·
Registered
2012 challenger srt
1,951 Posts
why do people keep saying you have to change the fan settings. NOT TRUE.

put one in mine and several other cars. car runs cooler!
In bumper to bumper traffic, it will run at the 210 range but once you start moving again, in town or on highway temps drop back down to 190's

buy one and try it.
I think what their saying is if you want the temps to run lower in regular intown driving you need to lower the fan settings.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts