Dodge Challenger Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
19 scat pack 8 speed
I hope someone can help, I’m hearing a noise (only with the windows up) sounds like passenger side bank of engine. It’s kind of a rattle that increases with rpm and only above 2000rpm. Don’t have to be moving. Does not do it at an idle only above 2k. Almost sounds like a vac leak does not sound like a lifter to me. Engine can be cold or hot. Does not burn any oil. Intake manifold bolts are not loose Any ideas? Thanks

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I am going to make an appointment tomorrow

Yeah, I’m pretty familiar with these Engines, I know the injectors make noises, etc.
I really don’t think it’s a normal noise. At first it kind of sounded like a sucking/Vac noise but the more I listen to it it seems like a rattle/high pitched fast tick. I don’t hear it at all when idling, only over 2k rpm. The car only has 13k and under Warranty.

·
Registered
2020 Dodge Challenger Hellraisin Scat Pack
5,508 Posts
Do not hear anything out of the ordinary from the clip. Doesn't mean there isn't a noise of course. You report hearing one.

Could offer lots of WAGs of what it might be. But someone's going to have make a high confidence diagnosis and then get his hands dirty to fix the problem, assuming there is one of course. Cars/engines can emit noise that is "normal". That you might hear this does not necessarily mean there is a problem.

Regardless, Wm. Internet Rock DJ's advice to take the car in is very good advice and I'd 2nd that advice.

·
Registered
5,508 Posts
Yeah, I’m pretty familiar with these Engines, I know the injectors make noises, etc.
I really don’t think it’s a normal noise. At first it kind of sounded like a sucking/Vac noise but the more I listen to it it seems like a rattle/high pitched fast tick. I don’t hear it at all when idling, only over 2k rpm. The car only has 13k and under Warranty.
Then take the car in and be sure you can demo the noise. Unless there is something in the noise I can't hear -- my hearing is admittedly not that good -- and absent any CEL or signs of engine distress you'll likely be told no problem found.

But be sure you get that you brought the car in for a suspicious noise documented and get a copy of the paperwork.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Car went in to service dept. today, a tech came out and said it sounds normal but I’m not convinced. It is also staying there for a third time for AC problems that I’ve posted about in the past. Not sure what to do about the sound. I’d like to drive another car with a 6.4and see if it makes the same sound…. I would definitely not consider it normal.

·
Registered
5,508 Posts
Car went in to service dept. today, a tech came out and said it sounds normal but I’m not convinced. It is also staying there for a third time for AC problems that I’ve posted about in the past. Not sure what to do about the sound. I’d like to drive another car with a 6.4and see if it makes the same sound…. I would definitely not consider it normal.
When the tech came out and said it sounds normal that's just another way of saying "they all do that". That would have been when you should have requested the tech or possibly the service manager select a comparable model of car to yours and demo'd the "normal" behavior.

What A/C problems?

·
Registered
5,508 Posts
Just some general comments. If the noise is a sign of a problem I know of no case of a noise getting better with more miles. The point is if the noise is a real sign of a problem at some point the noise will rise above the "normal" classification. 'course, in anticipating that it can take some of the enjoyment out of driving the car.

There are some home diagnostics you can do if you are so inclined and feel you are up to doing them.

One is being careful you can use a mechanics stethoscope to probe various areas of the engine and various accessory drive items to see if you can better pinpoint the source of the noise.

Since you report the noise is present from cold you can remove the accessory drive belt -- after carefully noting (take pics!) its routing and direction of rotation -- then start and run the engine only long enough to confirm the noise is still present -- which suggests it is coming from inside the engine but it can also be coming from the exhaust -- or absent. Then you put the belt back on and confirm the noise is back.

If back then this is a good sign the noise is from an accessory drive component. A water pump is a pretty common source of noise. But I had one car that had 2 accessory drive idler roller bearings fail and only one water pump...

MIght add you should check the accessory drive belt. If a flat/serpentine belt the edges should be dull. If one is sharp this is a sign the belt is not tracking true and this can arise -- my experience -- from an accessory drive (water pump to be specific) with some bearing play. Not much but even so enough the belt's inner edge rubbed against the water pump pulley's side. Check for belt deterioration. Cracks across the Vs are ok. But the belt should not have any sections of the Vs missing.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
The AC has never worked correctly. (Car only has 13k miles now). The ac on Max Ac would only blow around 69/70 degrees even when it’s not that hot outside. I had it in twice for this, the first time they just “topped off refrigerant” which did nothing. The second time they said they found the 2 AC lines were rubbing so they changed them and it did improve the AC performance very slightly, but I still found the Passenger vent was blowing much harder than drivers side and reading a good 15 degrees cooler than drivers side as well…

I will remove belt and see if noise is still there, thank you for suggestion.

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
12,349 Posts
The AC has never worked correctly. (Car only has 13k miles now). The ac on Max Ac would only blow around 69/70 degrees even when it’s not that hot outside. I had it in twice for this, the first time they just “topped off refrigerant” which did nothing. The second time they said they found the 2 AC lines were rubbing so they changed them and it did improve the AC performance very slightly, but I still found the Passenger vent was blowing much harder than drivers side and reading a good 15 degrees cooler than drivers side as well…

I will remove belt and see if noise is still there, thank you for suggestion.
Sounds more like a blend/zone door issue.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Makes the same noise with belt removed.

Maybe you can hear it better in this video. Windows up

I might have to bring it to a different dealership. I’ve not been impressed with the “service” I received where I’ve been going

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
12,349 Posts
Open the hood and have someone record the noise coming from the engine by while you feather the throttle up to 3k rpm and back to idle (in park of course). To me it sounds like it might valve train noise because you are around 2k rpm in that vid which is where it is most pronounced. Or it could be water pump impeller rubbing the housing. Recording from in the cabin usually results in the phone picking up the lower exhaust rumble so it is hard to tell from your vids if it is valve train related.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts