Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
does any one know the part# for a 190° thermostat for our cars. ive been searching for days with on luck. i put 2 different 180° in(Jet and autozone) and kept getting codes.

thanks
Rob

·
Registered
63 Posts
I had the same problem in an SRT8 but not in my R/T. the problem is not the thermostat it is the temp you have the fans set at. you need to reset the fans to 189 on the LS and 194 on the HS, check out HHP page and you should find it there.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I had the same problem in an SRT8 but not in my R/T. the problem is not the thermostat it is the temp you have the fans set at. you need to reset the fans to 189 on the LS and 194 on the HS, check out HHP page and you should find it there.
they where set to 190 and 198, and got codes tried raising and lower them with the same results

·
Registered
389 Posts
For what its worth - I got a code one time after installing the Jet 180. It was the only time I didn't let my SRT warm up for a few minutes before I drove off. Cleared the code with the Predator, then surfed through all the posts on 180s - all the posters said to let the car warm up a few minutes and no more codes. Been doing that ever since and no problems with the 180. No idea if the OP tried this - but it worked for me.

The various posts on this topic (180 codes) all pointed to the same issue. The computer "looks" for the engine to reach operating temp within a given period of time. The 180 t-stat apparently takes longer to reach that temp from a "cold start," particularly in cooler weather - hence the code. By letting the car warm up at idle for a few minutes before driving it, the engine will reach the operating temp within the time "expected" by the computer, so there's no code. Again, works for me - and is a more common occurance in cooler weather.

·
Registered
428 Posts
Been letting the car warm up for several minutes before driving and still get codes. Josh from HHP set the fans during a dyno tune so those should be right. Wish there was a way to set my thermostat temp so it wouldn't throw a code.

Can the PCM be adjusted for the thermostat temp?

·
Registered
432 Posts
Strange how some are getting codes from the 180 tstat and others aren't. :scratchhead:

I have the Jet 180 in mine and never have gotten a code. I even drove the car in cold weather in november and march (20 - 30 degrees) and never a code. And I usually only wait around 20 or so seconds after startup before driving off (just enough time to reach around to put seat belt on, turn on radio) .

what particular engine temperature is the computer looking for anyway ?
180 ? 190 ? 170 ?

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
If you are handy, why not make spacer out of a large washer.Try a thin one first and see where it opens at. On my now sold C5 vette, the hypertech I bought opened at 172*,The corvette is different than ours have thin shaft that goes into a tube that is part of the housing.My spacers were about 1/8" and I made various thickness out of an aluminum nail.IIRC .060 lowered the stock thermostat 10*.
With the Corvette you could visually check with a pot of water on the stove and a kitchen thermometer 0-212*This not a mod to use on a jet or any lower temp brand thermostat. It will lower the temps on a stock 203* thermostat. Then sell the overpriced Jet and have yourself a steak dinner at the Outback Steakhouse

·
Registered
645 Posts

·
Premium Member
559 Posts
Let me get this right. No use at all in getting a 180 thermostat if you don't get a predator to lower the fan settings also. Is this correct? Thanks...

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
i got the napa t stat in the mail today. it has a Jiggle Pin even though the web site said that it didnt. got it installed and it seems to be working. it runs cooler than stock but warmer than both 180s i had. no cel but i only drove 15 miles today.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts