Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Whats involved? Want lsd and a gear change in my 2016 sxt - will existing half shafts work or do i need to replace those too? hubs? brakes? cradle? I assume the differential will just bolt in, but not sure about driveshaft etc - just would like to have all the needed parts here before i jump in.....alternative is just getting a 195mm open 3.06 out of an sxt+ stp ss or b-top car, but if im going to be in there anyway, i rather an lsd......and i dont see where a 195mm one is offered (in any ratio) thanks!

·
Registered
42 Posts
The first thing I want to say is that if you're upgrading your differential, do it the right way the first time. This means getting an SRT differential with LSD and 3.91:1 final drive. Don't worry about the increased revs over a 3.73, you won't notice them with your 8-speed.
Now, I did this to my old '13 SXT. Speedlogix sold a kit that included new, properly splined axles. Aside from actually getting the differential from them (a difficulty I've had dealing with them a few times), the driveshaft didn't line up with the new diff. I had to have my driveshaft sent out to have an SRT end welded on to fit the SRT diff. Now, I'm not sure if Dodge is still using the Mercedes-style driveshafts, but that certainly complicated things on my car.
Bottom line, it's doable. You'll need a new differential (obviously), a way to reprogram your car so it knows about the new final drive ratio (though I've heard that this is now unnecessary), likely new axles, and likely need to modify your driveshaft or buy a whole new one. All told, the diff is the most expensive part and, if you're cool buying that, then don't let the rest deter you. The things that you'll need to overcome are the fact that Dodge started using new differentials in 2015 when they brought the 8-speed to the Challengers and that the people who have the money to do something like this to an SXT, have the money to buy an R/T and have usually bought one of those. This means few people have attempted to do what you want to do and you'll end up doing most of the troubleshooting yourself.
I still have all of the paperwork for my old SXT, which I've now sold, and if you'd like to do anything else to yours, I either did it or researched it thoroughly. PM me if I can help.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
One more time

So, I picked up a 230MM LSD and will finally get this project off the ground, still no clue as to what else I'll need - Im going to start by measuring mounting points and comparing the driveshaft flange, axle centerline, etc - still no clue on the half shafts, looks like different part numbers for 3.6 vs 5.7 vs 6.4 but some people have reported putting lsd in 15 and up a8 autos without having to do half shafts....anybody happen to have access to half shafts to count splines?

·
Registered
15,050 Posts
The spline count on the 230mm on Hellcat into the rear is 38 and into the hubs is 32. The splines at the axle CV joints are also 38 except for Demon, Widebody, Redeye and Scat Pack 1320 which are 41. I'm thinking all 230 mm should be the same so 38 in.

Now what are the 195mm axle shafts? I do not know but the 230 should bolt right up. Not sure on any driveshaft difference either.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

·
Registered
397 Posts
I have a 2017 R/T 5.7 that I was planning to upgrade to a Scat Pack 3.09 LSD. Does anyone know for sure if I only need the diff? My research has shown comflicting info, but most people seem to think the only thing I will need is the diff.

·
Registered
624 Posts
I put a 3.09 LSD in place of a 220 mm open 2.62 in my 18 Charger R/T and everything bolted up . Have not read of anyone swapping one in place of a 195mm.

·
Registered
328 Posts
For an SXT that's a lot of wasted money...and added weight. You don't need an LSD, except to talk about it, your V6 (same as mine) can't use the extra traction, because it has enough already. The other model Challengers weight a lot more, and the rear ends are part of the reason. You will end up losing performance, not gaining.

·
Registered
397 Posts
I’m not sure what that dude is talking about, but weight difference between the two diffs is going to be minimal. I doubt more than 10 pounds. Also, despite the SXT having less power, almost any car will benefit from an LSD when driven in a performance setting or when the roads are wet or icy. I’m not saying you need one, but I don’t really think he gave any good info.

·
Registered
328 Posts
yes - i was being a smart ass with my response

Maybe not smart, but sure. It's your money to waste as you wish. The diff weighs more, the axles weight more. You aren't going to ever need an LSD with the low end torque of the 3.6. Delude yourself as you wish. Or maybe do some reading. This has been discussed many times here.

But like I said, spend your money anyway you wish. But that rear end won't help you do anything but be poorer.

·
Registered
328 Posts
I’m not sure what that dude is talking about, but weight difference between the two diffs is going to be minimal. I doubt more than 10 pounds. Also, despite the SXT having less power, almost any car will benefit from an LSD when driven in a performance setting or when the roads are wet or icy. I’m not saying you need one, but I don’t really think he gave any good info.

I can see you are not sure. Do some reading. I can see you have a lot of racing experience.

·
Registered
397 Posts

I can see you are not sure. Do some reading. I can see you have a lot of racing experience.
Jesus. Condescending much? Why exactly do you think an LSD won’t help? Have you never spun a tire in your apparently underpowered V6? If you ever have, even a little, then an LSD would have helped with that. Also, performance driving means a whole lot more than just racing. An LSD helps provide cornering grip during spirited driving. If you have so much info about this, how about you cite sources or link to posts with legit info?

·
Registered
328 Posts
Jesus. Condescending much? Why exactly do you think an LSD won’t help? Have you never spun a tire in your apparently underpowered V6? If you ever have, even a little, then an LSD would have helped with that. Also, performance driving means a whole lot more than just racing. An LSD helps provide cornering grip during spirited driving. If you have so much info about this, how about you cite sources or link to posts with legit info?

I as usual just started out stating facts. Then after getting the replies I did, I started talking like the adult in the room. I remember what it was like to have to get all the best race stuff because it was just better. I grew out of that decades ago.

You can't break the 195 rear end even with a blower. Yes, I do know that, but no it's not my blower. Read the forum.

I also never said an LSD was bad, or useless. Just that putting a 230mm rear into your SXT to get LSD was not the best return on the money. In fact the car will be slower.

Is it possible under any circumstances to break a tire loose with my V6. Yes. But my open rear will beat your SXT with a 230 rear every day. Someone said they doubt the swap adds more than 10 lbs. Well, I doubt that is even close to being accurate. First the difference in weight of the ring gear alone, being over an inch larger in diameter would be most of that. Now the rest of the differential, the larger out shafts, the larger drive shaft. It all adds up. I think that it's a lot closer to 50 lbs than to 10. That's a lot of weight to add to a V6.

It's his money to spend. Nobody has to get shitty with people just because they don't tell you what you wanted to hear though.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Maybe not smart, but sure. It's your money to waste as you wish. The diff weighs more, the axles weight more. You aren't going to ever need an LSD with the low end torque of the 3.6. Delude yourself as you wish. Or maybe do some reading. This has been discussed many times here.

But like I said, spend your money anyway you wish. But that rear end won't help you do anything but be poorer.
**** You - you have no idea who I am and what my experience is ******* - I asked a question that you did not know the answer to, so you decided to answer it anyway with useless information - Then you become a "keyboard cowboy" hiding behind the internet - a real tough guy. I know exactly why I am doing the swap and my expectations are realistic - get the **** out of my thread unless you have an answer to my question

·
Registered
328 Posts
**** You - you have no idea who I am and what my experience is ******* - I asked a question that you did not know the answer to, so you decided to answer it anyway with useless information - Then you become a "keyboard cowboy" hiding behind the internet - a real tough guy. I know exactly why I am doing the swap and my expectations are realistic - get the **** out of my thread unless you have an answer to my question
You'er a moron. I've made not tough guy statements at all. I pointed out the obvious, but you didn't want to hear it. Then you started the crap.

I've got better things to do. And I certainly DO know what your experience is. All anyone has to do is read this thread.

Good bye and spend your money anyway you see fit. It's your car.

·
Registered
680 Posts
Why bother with a gear/axle swap on a V6? I mean it's still going to be vastly underwhelming when you hit the gas pedal.

·
Registered
2,177 Posts
I had a 2001 Ram that was equipped with an open differential from factory. Even with the 230 hp 5.2L, it had a tendency to break loose the right rear tire, and it was a bit miserable to get around in the snow. When the pinion bearing started howling, I had the rear end rebuilt and upgraded to the Track-lock LSD. It made a world of difference in how the truck drove. Especially in snow. I could get moving easier, even with crappy tires. I could do a nice controlled slide if I wanted, steer with the throttle, etc. It actually made it a lot of fun for a truck.

The way I see it, so the OP wants to put an LSD in his SXT. I really don't see a problem with that. I don't see him say anywhere that he plans on smoking everyone at a drag strip with it. I don't see any unrealistic expectations.

Maybe he has other reasons for putting it in? He wants the better control through a corner or on corner exit? Maybe he just enjoys doing smoky burnouts with 2 tires? Either way, he just wants to know what's involved with the swap. Unfortunately I don't know either, but I respect that he is trying to figure it out.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts