1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Banned
557 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
714 Posts
How can they put someone in jail for exceeding the speed limit, and moreover, based on a Youtube video? Maybe he just sped up the video and said whatever like in a movie... !

·
Banned
811 Posts
The article basically says the guy incriminated himself when the police spoke to him. That's what they will use to prosecute him. Moral of the story: never speak to the police without representation.

·
Premium Member
227 Posts
What a bunch of $hit. I don't think it's right to do 190mph on the highway, but I definitely don't think that the cops should be able to arrest someone over a YouTube Video. What if this guy was a bunch of BS and manufactured the video to make it look like he was hauling a$$.

Like I said, the guy's an idiot for posting it on YouTube, but I would hate for this to be a precedent.

·
Registered
7,683 Posts
Looks like he is literally hanging onto the steering wheel for dear life, as it accelerates. ;)

I'll have to side on the "cops suck" category, on this one. :p I mean, if they busted him in the act, then game-on, but coming back around after the fact from a YouTube video?...that's just a pissy move.

·
Premium Member
227 Posts
@HemiSam-

What's up...You know you would love to see this car on the Texas Mile...I don't disagree with you one bit about growing up. I just don't want this to be precedent for every STUPID thing posted on YouTube to allow someone to be prosecuted.

Believe me...I have posted some STUPID stuff on YouTube and I hope it doesn't come back to bite my a$$.

·
Registered
107 Posts
agreed

Better to get him off the road now before he takes out a family in a mini-van or whatever. That kind of speed has no place on a public highway, let alone a crowded one.

The video couldn't be used as evidence without authentication.. so as someone said, he probably incriminated himself. Statements against penal interest are admissible as an exception to the hearsay rule.

·
Banned
4,698 Posts
I love fast cars. I just cringe seeing something like that. Two issues. First, if you're going to do something like that, don't go posting it on youtube and then cross your fingers that it doesn't bite you in the butt. Why put ammo in the hands of someone pointing a gun atcha? Second, if you gotta mat the car try not to do it on a crowded road. And....see my first point...LOL! I don't dole out the lectures, but that one seemed a bit silly to me.

HemiSam

·
Premium Member
3,548 Posts
Two different arguments taking place. (1) Is going 190 mph on a public highway stupid? and (2) should the police be allowed to use a YouTube video as evidence to prosecute someone?

The answer to argument #1 is obvious. Yeah, it's stupid. You'd be hard pressed to convince anyone otherwise. We all know that much.

The answer to #2 is more of a sticky wicket, but I would have the say that the police are well within their right to use ANY evidence that evidences a crime taking place. Can the driver be convicted on that evidence? That's for a judge or jury to decide. The driver can most certainly lay a defense and claim that he "created" the recording through CGI means and that it's not real. Of course, the police have probably already seized the original recording by now and have examined it for authenticity, and a confession certainly doesn't help matters. That's a plea bargain waiting to happen. Of course, under new laws in most states now, once convicted, the police can seize the vehicle as a nuisance to the crime and sell it at auction. Therein lies the biggest unforseen problem for the driver. They might offer him no jail time and a small fine, but his car is gone.

Moral of the story: Jail the guy, he drives a Corvette. :)

·
Registered
1,614 Posts
I, for one, am glad they went after this jack***. He's putting innocent people on the road around him at serious risk. He's not just casually exeeding the limit, he's going faster than what some cars do on a closed course drag strip!:disgust: I do agree, I don't think that police should be going after "every little thing" thats posted on youtube, but this kind of crap should be stopped, IMO. How many other people would get the idea to do something like this after seeing it? They are out there, you know the type.....always have to do it one better. If they go after people who are reckless enough to do things like this and then post a video of it, hopefully it would discourage some others from doing the same.

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
How can they put someone in jail for exceeding the speed limit, and moreover, based on a Youtube video? Maybe he just sped up the video and said whatever like in a movie... !
The way they usually put someone in jail, probable cause. In Oklahoma if the police have probable cause to believe a person has committed a felony they can arrest that person without a warrant. They can, in some limited circumstances, make an arrest for a limited number of misdemeanor offenses, but ordinarily they would have to have a warrant, which is also issued on probable cause.

The last line of the story includes, "The Oklahoma County District Attorney's Office was equally concerned and aided in obtaining arrest warrants for Replogle" which tells me the police presented their case to the District Attorney, who made the determination there was probable cause and issued the warrant.

As for using the video posted on YouTube at first blush that gave me concern but after thinking about it I would have to ask is that much different than a surveillance video? Moreover, we are assuming the arrest was based only on the YouTube video and discounting that they (OHP) may have conducted an investigation, such as getting the video from the tollgates, interviewing witnesses that called in a tag number, verifying the identity of the driver on the video and the car on the video, to reported tag numbers, vehicle registration, as well as any statements the driver himself may have made.... namely if he said, "yeah, it was me, I did it".

If he wants to argue the video was made by CGI, speeding up the video, or that it was something other than him acting like an idiot on a public roadway he will certainly be entitled to appear in court where the probable cause standard will be raised to beyond a reasonable doubt.

·
Registered
362 Posts
The guy is obviously an idiot for driving 190 on a public road, that and while holding the steering wheel with one hand in the middle?! Seriously, if something happens at that speed you will be dead before you move it where it should be. Put him in jail forever I say.

As for the video as evidence, of course they can bust his arse, there is a video publicly available of him (his face is clearly visible) in a car driving 190 (speed can be easily measured form the video) and authenticity of the video can be easily confirmed by forensic experts. Game over. I am sure he was advised by his lawyer to do so, his father is some big shot btw.

I like speed too, but take it off public roads. If you lose control of your car at that speed, and you take your own life - I don't care, it is your business. But if you lose control and take the life of a family that has nothing to do with you, then what choice do you leave them?

Want to test your new mods, go to the track, enjoy your car, make a video so we can admire you, don't do it on public roads, it is just stupid.

·
Premium Member
1,987 Posts
Cops prosecute from YouTube, Facebook, and the like all the time. Every few days you hear of some criminal touting their exploits online and getting busted for it. If someone broke into your home and stole your stuff and then posted a video showing it you would sure want it used. This is no different.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Cops prosecute from YouTube, Facebook, and the like all the time. Every few days you hear of some criminal touting their exploits online and getting busted for it. If someone broke into your home and stole your stuff and then posted a video showing it you would sure want it used. This is no different.
Exactly... the driver is guilty of DCWS (driving corvette while stupid)...

·
Super Moderator
13,872 Posts
He was lucky and so were the other drivers on that turnpike. Normally, this is what results from that type of driver:

:notallthere:= :grim:

·
Registered
9,360 Posts
Stupid is, stupid does. Hope that they throw the book at him.

Once again this proves that "common sense", or lack of it, is not directly tied to your wealth (or debt) when it comes to a car.

·
Registered
243 Posts
I'm a victim of an idiot like that!!! they should confiscate his 1000HP vett and lock him in jail and throw away the key!!!

there's a time and place for speed and we all like do it... but take that kind of irresponsible show of no common sense and take it to the track!!!

I say throw the book at him!!!!

Packn8

1 - 20 of 40 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.