Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i was riding around town, and tucked away behind the junk in an exhaust shop...a "seasoned" 1970 Coronet Super Bee. I call the guy about it, and he says $5000 for the whole thing. It has a rebuilt 440 Magnum, needs some rear-end work, and the body certainly needs some TLC. I found everything ill likely need for the body on ebay for reasonable prices. I figure that i get this car for $5000, and i can finish it up for under $10000. I know this car isnt exactly common, and im personally a fan of it. What do you think?

·
Registered
147 Posts
I say go for it! If I had the money and the skills I would love to fix up an old mopar. Unforunately, I have neither the money nor the skills. If you do buy it, post some pics as you progress in your project.

·
Banned
7,159 Posts
I had a 70 superbee when I was 18-20, I loved that car.

Not sure what they are worth, but if you can get it that cheap and just drive it, that is what I would do.

Even a plain jane 318 car should be worth $5,000 unless there is a bunch of body damage or rust.

·
Banned
664 Posts
You need to get a year one catalog and sit down and make a list of every part you need. Then figure the labor for stuff you can not do yourself and get a total for what the project will cost you. Then add 15% more because you are wrong on your total, it always cost more than you think. I doubt highly you can restore this car for under 10k unless you do all the labor. It is not a matching numbers car because the superbee did not have the 440, the RT did. The 1970 is not popular or very valuable the 1969 is the money car in superbees. So once you get your total see what you can buy a restored one for on ebay and elsewhere, if you can buy a restored one cheaper then you have your answer.

·
Registered
1,970 Posts
If the car is in decent shape that is an attractive price. I pretty much agree with posts above, most importantly you probably will spend more than $10K fixing the car up. Hidden rust is one of the biggest risks for going over budget. If you have or can get some pix, posting pix would be helpful.

Can the car be driven? If the car is mechanically sound, then $5K is a nice price unless it has big rust issues.

If the car can be driven, take it for a test drive. Also, write down the VIN and fender code info (if the fender tag is still there). That will let you know how the car was originally ordered out.

Here is a link to a fender tag decoder:

Mopar Fender Tag Decoder

Finally, while the 440 Magnum was not available in the 70 SuperBee, the highly desirable 440 SixPack was an option in the SuperBee. If this is a V-code car then grab it immediately!

http://www.hamtramck-historical.com/images/dealerships/DealershipDataBook/1970/70_Coronet0015.jpg

·
Registered
585 Posts
hope it works out for ya, ain't nothing more right than pulling an old soldier out of the throngs of death. do it !! and may the force be with you :thumbsup: Keeping my eyes open for something mid to late 60's myself.

·
Super Moderator
13,708 Posts
I did a quick check of Hemmings. Here are the price ranges for a 1970 Coronet:

Among 15 ad(s) found that list prices*:
The average asking price is: $33,184.07 The highest asking price is: $59,998.00 The lowest asking price is: $14,500.00

·
Banned
664 Posts
I did a quick check of Hemmings. Here are the price ranges for a 1970 Coronet:

Among 15 ad(s) found that list prices*:
The average asking price is: $33,184.07 The highest asking price is: $59,998.00 The lowest asking price is: $14,500.00
Asking price being the key words. Follow what they sell for, I was looking at a car the other day and the seller asked me do you know what they are asking for these cars? I laughed and said no but I know what they have been selling for. Here is one you can follow.
Dodge : Coronet - eBay (item 200550291063 end time Dec-09-10 05:08:23 PST)

·
Registered
466 Posts
I had a 69 SuperBee loved that car.......go for it

·
Registered
451 Posts
I thinl the 70's are undervalued, it is a one year only model!! I think the body style of the 70 rocks....

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Im supposed to be hearing it run this weekend. The guy says it drives, but the rear end needs to be rebuilt. Im very aware of the body damage from rust. Ive already priced the floorpans (main eyesore), and they are reasonably priced. I know itll cost more than 10k to make it "show worthy"...im just saying that to make it look decent and iron out the kinks per what the owner says is wrong. I know the 440 Magnum is an RT engine, but in a car that sweet im not too concerned about matching numbers. All in all I still believe the car is a worthwhile deal for 5k. Im definitely gonna do it...

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Not to mention...just priced the 15" Cragar Keystones im gonna put on it, lol...im pumped. Its just gonna take some time and love, lol

·
Banned
1,992 Posts
I would definitely get it - Coronets have a "mean" look to them. I'd treat mechanical issues first - and then work on the body - "Rat Rods" are in, you know? ;)

·
Banned
664 Posts
Im supposed to be hearing it run this weekend. The guy says it drives, but the rear end needs to be rebuilt. Im very aware of the body damage from rust. Ive already priced the floorpans (main eyesore), and they are reasonably priced. I know itll cost more than 10k to make it "show worthy"...im just saying that to make it look decent and iron out the kinks per what the owner says is wrong. I know the 440 Magnum is an RT engine, but in a car that sweet im not too concerned about matching numbers. All in all I still believe the car is a worthwhile deal for 5k. Im definitely gonna do it...
LOL I always love these threads. They all start the same with the question what do you think? They all end the same way yeah I know all that but I am gonna do it.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
ill definitely do mechanical, but trust me...that floor pan is shot, lol. ill feel a lil more comfortable knowing i cant count the rocks. im gonna take the whole thing apart, and just start blasting all the rust off the chasis...get it painted. before i did that i wouldve attempted to run it to either diagnose what i can, or what someone a little more professional can. i dont care how long it takes...ive never restored a classic, and i probably had no intention to. but this car just sorta called out to me...i wasnt looking for it...just found it XD

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
the poor girl just looked at me, and with those busted eyes she said: "Please save me". I cant resist the damsel in distress ^^

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
i think the biggest thing about that particular year that isnt like the others (and maybe this was sub-conscious thinking)...the face slightly resembles a 67 GTO (likely how the face meets in the center). either way...im obsessed

·
Banned
7,159 Posts
The 70 to me is the best Coronet, that face is awesome.

Just take your time, and don't go crazy. Drive it and don't spend 100k on a show car.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts