Dodge Challenger Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1970 Challenger T/A, all stock, all numbers matching, 78k original miles. To my knowledge, aside from a clutch and regular maintenance, there has been no engine work ever. The engine starts easily and runs strong, there is no smoke, spark plugs show no oil fouling. There is some lifter noise occasionally, not bad, but consistently on lift-off and other conditions where oil pressure decreases, minimal or no noise at cruise. Oil pressure is good overall, viscosity is correct and the oil is fresh. No lifter noise at idle. I've reset the lifter pre-load, there are no bent pushrods and no visible damage to the rocker arms. This is probably just lifter wear, looking for more experienced opinions that mine on if it is worth it or not to replace the lifters without touching the cam, timing chain, etc. Not a difficult job, but looking for opinions the value of doing it now, or waiting till i go through the entire engine.

·
Registered
2015 Challenger R/T Plus 8 Speed
8,650 Posts
I had a small block car (360 not 340) and I did the timing chain, lifters, cam, main bearings, rod bearings, rear main seal (Switched out the leaking rope to a rubber one) all at once. Pulling the engine out of these older cars is not that hard, and throw it on an engine stand. I would NOT attempt that on my 2015 Challenger though (Not enough room, too may wires and crap).

·
Registered
429 Posts
I have a 1970 Challenger T/A, all stock, all numbers matching, 78k original miles. To my knowledge, aside from a clutch and regular maintenance, there has been no engine work ever. The engine starts easily and runs strong, there is no smoke, spark plugs show no oil fouling. There is some lifter noise occasionally, not bad, but consistently on lift-off and other conditions where oil pressure decreases, minimal or no noise at cruise. Oil pressure is good overall, viscosity is correct and the oil is fresh. No lifter noise at idle. I've reset the lifter pre-load, there are no bent pushrods and no visible damage to the rocker arms. This is probably just lifter wear, looking for more experienced opinions that mine on if it is worth it or not to replace the lifters without touching the cam, timing chain, etc. Not a difficult job, but looking for opinions the value of doing it now, or waiting till i go through the entire engine.
The T/A ,AAR 340 6 pack OEM lifters are T/A only 3577092 and pushrod 3577121

·
Registered
2019 Challenger Scat Pack T/A 392 M6 Go Mango
58 Posts
For hydraulic flat tappet/mechanical flat tappet, new lifters on old cam = ok, old lifters on new cam = bad. ;) I'd make sure to put some assembly lube on the bottom of the new lifter(s) and break it in properly.

·
Registered
2013 SRT8
115 Posts
I would leave it alone until it gets bad. I would honestly try a different brand of oil, the viscosity and noise can be very different between brands. 10w-40 does not tell a lot of data, oils have a different centistoke ratings that can cause certain brands of lifters to be noisy. Just make sure it has enough zinc in it for flat tappet cams. The special anti-pump-up hydraulic 340-6 pak lifters (shorter length) are no longer available anywhere and if you change lifters you will also require different length pushrods. You are opening a can of worms. Just drive it often and enjoy it.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I would leave it alone until it gets bad. I would honestly try a different brand of oil, the viscosity and noise can be very different between brands. 10w-40 does not tell a lot of data, oils have a different centistoke ratings that can cause certain brands of lifters to be noisy. Just make sure it has enough zinc in it for flat tappet cams. The special anti-pump-up hydraulic 340-6 pak lifters (shorter length) are no longer available anywhere and if you change lifters you will also require different length pushrods. You are opening a can of worms. Just drive it often and enjoy it.
That's where I'm leaning. Minimum it's lifters and pushrods as you state. It also does not have hardened valve seats, so the heads are in play since the top end will be apart. Since I'm in there, might as well do the cam and timing chain. Not much left to make it a full rebuild....... If it gets worse, I'll revisit it. I'm hoping that driving it more will help some, worse case if one completely collapses, it will be noisy but not catastrophic.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts