Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Everytime I put my car in drive or reverse the car jumps and or shifts hard into that gear, and when going forward from 1st or 2nd gear it shifts abnormally hard weither it's in drive or autostick

·
Registered
2018 Scat Pack SHAKER in Plum Crazy
3,441 Posts
What car, what year, what transmission, what engine, how many miles, what all has been done to it, what have you tried so far, have you driven another one like it to compare...
We need something to go on, and will try to help.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
2016 dodge challenger, v6, 35,082 miles. It was used as a rental car so how knows how hard the previous drivers ran it. It's fairly new. I haven't done anything besides brakes, rotors, and new tires.

·
Registered
2020 Dodge Challenger Hellraisin Scat Pack
3,658 Posts
2016 dodge challenger, v6, 35,082 miles. It was used as a rental car so how knows how hard the previous drivers ran it. It's fairly new. I haven't done anything besides brakes, rotors, and new tires.
Did this behavior appear out of the blue? Did you recently do something to the car? Can you check the transmission fluid level? Is it ok?

35K miles is a bit "early" for a transmission fluid change but you might consider it if there is nothing else to explain the behavior. A rental car probably spent lots of time idling and the fluid probably ran hotter than usual. Transmission fluid is pretty good stuff but fleet usage is harder on fluids as well as other things.

Up to you. Me I'd be willing to throw a fluid service at the transmission. But keep in mind there may be a risk. I have some 2nd hand info that in some cases when a transmission -- actually a "TIP" transmission found in for instance Porsche cars -- is acting up a fluid service seems to hasten the transmission's demise. 'course, there is no way of knowing that the transmission would have manifested more serious behavior and that the same miles even without the fluid service.

Like I said up to you.

What you are facing then is taking the car in and having a tech experience the behavior and offer his professional opinion as to what it means and assuming it is not normal what to do about it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It's done it since I got the cars 2 months ago. I haven't done anything to it but baby it. the car has a digital reader that tells me all the levels and pressure and stuff like tht. I did give it an oil change from the dealership. I've also brought it to their attention but they hooked up that computer to the car and it said everything was fine. So idk what to do. I've got an appointment set up at another dealership to have it looked at so hopefully they can find the source of the problem. Last time which was a month ago the delseship topped off my levels and made sure they were all good.

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
23,606 Posts
You can try removing the number 29 and 31 fuses in the under hood fuse box for a minute or so, then replace them. This will reset the adaptives. See if any change. It may not be it, but well worth the 2 minutes it takes.

A Guy

·
Registered
809 Posts
If I remember right, there was an old thread ( back in 2015/2016) about some of the early A8s having a harsh/abrupt shifting. I cant remember if it affected V8 cars only or not.
Anyhow, the cure was a simple re-flash/update to trans. Maybe you can go back to dealer and see if that is available..
I almost think there was even a TSB about it, but no recall.

Hope that helps

Reactions: A Guy

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
23,606 Posts
Reactions: SpeedShift

·
Registered
2020 Dodge Challenger Hellraisin Scat Pack
3,658 Posts
It's done it since I got the cars 2 months ago. I haven't done anything to it but baby it. the car has a digital reader that tells me all the levels and pressure and stuff like tht. I did give it an oil change from the dealership. I've also brought it to their attention but they hooked up that computer to the car and it said everything was fine. So idk what to do. I've got an appointment set up at another dealership to have it looked at so hopefully they can find the source of the problem. Last time which was a month ago the delseship topped off my levels and made sure they were all good.
By "give it an oil change from the dealership" are you referring to an engine oil change or a transmission "oil" change?

I was suggesting a transmission fluid change to specifically (and hopefully) have a positive effect on the shift behavior.

But before any fluid service I like that FLASH update thing mentioned by SpeedShift. Look into that first.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts