Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
2016 SRT
618 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know not a big deal 100's have done this. But 1st time for me with this car pretty straight forward did read that the factory uses a gorilla to put on oil filter true statement. All in all not bad. Chrysler must use some weird oil cause now I no longer have the Hemi tic. Maybe from factory the use a different weight of oil but who knows.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
315 Posts
Maybe a good idea to post what you put in it...:)

·
Premium Member
9,189 Posts
If when changing the filter a socket type of wrench is used the original filter in any vehicle comes off without a fight.
on my trucks it was tight but came right off and the Challengers filter was very easy and was surprised after reading all the "horror" stories here.

·
Registered
14,047 Posts
Can anybody tell me exactly what filter wrench to buy?

And does the 6-speed also require 5W-20?

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
Get one that looks like a cup you stick on the end of the filter, it will have flats that match most oil filters and has a 3/8" square drive and isn't made of thin metal.

6-speed may take different oil. read the Oil filler cap on the engine!!!

·
Super Moderator
15,018 Posts

Yes on the 5W20 weight, even with the 6-speed.

The oil filter cap wrench I have is a #1 size Hopkins Flotool Super Graphite - you can find these at a lot of auto parts stores. These have 15 flats on them...the oil filter that fits the 5.7/6.4 engines is the Mopar filter ending in MO-899.

Also Bosch 3410
Mobil 1 M1-210

The important part is the sealing/bonding of the filter media to the (preferably metal) end caps and a good anti drain-back valve (avoids "dry" starts).

Some of the other brands use cardboard-like end caps, so how well those hold up...not for certain.

·
Registered
232 Posts

6 speed cars also use 5w-20 for the engine.

Side note, Dodge started using Pennzoil a couple years back, which I think is some of the worst oil ever made. In my opinion Valvoline is the best oil for the hemi, but some others would argue. Amsoil would be my second choice and Mobile 1 my third. I base that on owning modern hemi equipped vehicles for the past 7 years in climates ranging from -42*F to 105*F ambient.

·
Registered
1,972 Posts
I'm running Valvoline 5w20 full synth, only heard the 'Hemi tick' on start up once or twice. Might want to try it on your next change. O'Rilelys was just having a 5 quart jug and a Bosch filter for 28 bucks. of course you need 7 Quarts. I bought 3 jugs. 'cause my truck needed a change too, and got 3 free Bosch filter for around 100 bucks, got 3 quarts left over. :bigthumb:

·
Registered
387 Posts
I refuse to use the 5W20 junk in my rides. I use a minimum of 5W30, and I'm thinking about 40. I've seen the 5W20 oil cause valvetrain knock, cam phaser failures, etc. They clearly use it only for fuel economy and I'm more concerned about my engine holding together for a while than I am saving 0.0002 mile per gallon.

·
Premium Member
9,189 Posts
I refuse to use the 5W20 junk in my rides. I use a minimum of 5W30, and I'm thinking about 40. I've seen the 5W20 oil cause valvetrain knock, cam phaser failures, etc. They clearly use it only for fuel economy and I'm more concerned about my engine holding together for a while than I am saving 0.0002 mile per gallon.
You don't think doubling the viscosity is an issue and starving parts of complete lubrication? I'd go ask an engine builder, there's a great chance you're doing more harm than you think.
If it's for fuel mileage then why does the SRT models use 40 weight and not 20?

·
Registered
387 Posts
You don't think doubling the viscosity is an issue and starving parts of complete lubrication? I'd go ask an engine builder, there's a great chance you're doing more harm than you think.
If it's for fuel mileage then why does the SRT models use 40 weight and not 20?
Because the SRT models are considered "special" models and they don't care about CAFE numbers when they are designing a halo car like that.

My father just spent $1,500 having engine work done on his DD and it never fixed his problem and cam phasers kept dying and engine kept knocking and running poorly in certain weather so he switched to 15W40 oil and his engine runs like a dream now. (And he's been an engine builder for 40 years).

·
Registered
968 Posts
ehh I'm inclined to disagree from experience. My charger ran 5w-20 for 140k miles without issue.

and I figure if there was zero consideration of CAFE for SRT's, they wouldn't have added MDS. I wish they didn't give a shit about CAFE standards haha

·
Registered
387 Posts
Do you get engine knocking? Mine sounded terrible in my Wrangler and when I switched to 5W30 it got a lot more quiet. So I haven't even considered 20 anymore. I also noticed that my 2011 owners manual stated 5W20 ONLY and now the 2014 manual says that 5W30 is acceptable...so apparently a lot of folks were asking the same question. "Do we have to buy that weird 20 weight oil?" For a long time it was even hard to find. Availability is starting to get better though.

One thing I did on my first oil change is install a Fumoto valve and cut an access hole in the plastic shield. Now I can change my oil without using ramps, without removing the plastic shield, and without tools. Well...I still need a wrench for the oil filter housing.

·
Premium Member
126 Posts
The wrench looks like a very large socket wrench. Pep Boys and all the other chains carry them.
Yup, got my wrench at NAPA, FYI. Very common. I use Valvoline on all my rides as well, and have no "Hemi tick" from either of my 5.7L Hemis (Challenger or Ram)

JS

1 - 18 of 18 Posts