Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2010 R/T 6 speed that I bought in Sept. However it sat at the dealership since Nov. '09. I now have 1600 miles on it and want to change the oil. I know the owners manual says to run 5-20 but I am going to run Mobil 1 in it and need to know if the synthetic 5-20 is o.k. or should I go to 5-30. Thanks.

·
Registered
585 Posts
me, stick with manufacture weight specs as close as possible, full synthetic and your fav brand, cant go wrong. Do you have any free oil change coming from the dealer? if so let them start it off.

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
Synthetic or not, it has to be 5W-20.

·
Banned
7,566 Posts
Autos have to use 5W20 for the MDS.

Since yours is a six speed change over to 5W30. That's what I did when my motor was stock. I also checked with the SRT Engineers and they said to do the same thing if you don't take my word for it.

·
Registered
726 Posts
Oil

6 speeds dont have MDS, so you could use 5w anything. but use synthetic
I have a 2010 R/T with 6 speed and just did my own oil last weekend. Unless you think the oil police are going to check... IMO - Go for the 5w30. I used 5w30 and a quality synthetic. You will not harm a thing in your engine. If you value your car (long-term) I recommend you not go to the dealer, again just my opinion of many, many years working on cars. IMO you are dumping the original fill too soon but that is up to you. Take time to read unbiased oil studies in depth and you will see why I recommend what I have. Enjoy that Challenger my friend.

·
Banned
7,566 Posts
why would you use 5w30, a thicker oil. less HP with the thicker oil.
Not really. Better protection from thicker oil. 5W20 is strictly for EPA mileage testing, nothing more.

If you doubt me, look up a car sold here, then look up that same car sold in the U.K. and you'll see the U.K. car is slated for a thicker oil, usually a 10W40 or something in that area.

A good example is something like a Honda Accord since the same car with the same motor is sold both here and there.

·
Banned
4,131 Posts
why would you use 5w30, a thicker oil. less HP with the thicker oil.
so by that thinking, lighter oil more HP? come on its viscosity rating. its the heat range of oil. let me explain how this works the first number 5 is the viscosity when started cold. Second number is its viscosity at operating temp

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the replies guys. I think I'll go with the 5-30. Out of curiousity why do you think I'm changing the original fill too soon. My reasoning is it's been in there for almost 14 months. The original oil in the 5.7 's isn't synthetic so I'm thinking it's time to get it out of there. Would like to hear your thoughts on it though. Thanks again.

Barry

·
Banned
7,566 Posts
On any new motor I do three break in oil changes:

500 miles

1000 miles after that (1500 on the clock)

1500 miles after that (3000 on the clock)

Change the filter on every change.

·
Premium Member
728 Posts
Thanks for the replies guys. I think I'll go with the 5-30. Out of curiousity why do you think I'm changing the original fill too soon. My reasoning is it's been in there for almost 14 months. The original oil in the 5.7 's isn't synthetic so I'm thinking it's time to get it out of there. Would like to hear your thoughts on it though. Thanks again.

Barry
I was wondering the same thing. I got my SRT8 Challenger in September & have only put a little over 300 miles on it. It's stored away for the winter & am panicking about leaving the oil in until the spring (4 months).

So my question is, do I change the oil first thing in the spring, or reach at least the 500-1000 miles, then change it?

·
Registered
448 Posts
Where are you guys getting your Mobil 1 synthetic?

·
Premium Member
517 Posts
i get mine at Walmart
You can get a 5 qt. jug for less than #30 bucks at mine. Of course you have to buy two more to make 7, but it's still a good deal.

·
Registered
299 Posts
my question is what brand of oil. As I read this link it is easy to see that you all would recommend a synthetic oil so thanks for that input already. I seem to recall reading that at one time Mobil 1 was the oil Dodge used at the factory. Is that correct and if so does anyone know what brought about a change if in fact there has been one.
Thanks in advance,
Bill
2010 R/T with under 400 miles

·
Registered
726 Posts
OC Intervals

I was wondering the same thing. I got my SRT8 Challenger in September & have only put a little over 300 miles on it. It's stored away for the winter & am panicking about leaving the oil in until the spring (4 months).
So my question is, do I change the oil first thing in the spring, or reach at least the 500-1000 miles, then change it?
Here is a post I found by "Maraud" and it partially answers some of the issues raised in your question. I agree with most of Maurad's conclusion. There are too many variables from which oil you choose (hence their specific additive package) to your driving habits. I must emphasize to please take time to read unbiased oil test articles/reports and all of this will make more sense. I'll share a true story that will probably surprise most of you in a quick reply tonight. It changed the way I do oil changes for life.

"There is one small factoid you all are missing out on. Synth oil is much better than "dino" oil when it comes to breakdown, longevity, viscosity ranges and most importantly - anti-friction.
However, the last thing is also the problem. Synthetic oil does too good of a job on a new engine. A new engine requires a reasonable amount of friction for the rings to actually break in the cylinder bore and seat properly. If you change the oil too soon (from dino to synth, or from "1st fill additive synth") you'll end up with an engine that burns oil as the rings wont properly seat."

"Before you all start screaming though, if you switch too soon there is no permanent harm done, it's simply that due to reduced friction it'll take longer for everything to break in properly which equals burning off some oil a little longer." by Maraud

·
Registered
299 Posts
It always amazing me what I learn with every post I read from you guys. I received a free oil change coupon from my dealer in the mail and went there a couple weeks ago for the service. I just noticed today that the record on the next oil change reminder sticker shows they used 10w30. Should I take it back and have them put 5w20 in it like the manual states?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts