Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 221 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I purchased a Brand New 2018 R/T Scat Pack 4 days ago, I looked over the service manual and it states to change the oil at "6months/6000 miles" - which ever comes first. So my question is, should I take into account how long the vehicle had been sitting at the dealer, or should I start the 6 month interval starting this past week. Or should I just be on the safe side and change the oil within the coming month?

--Thanks.

·
Registered
200 Posts
I changed the oil in my '17 T/A after the initial break in, at 500 miles, then 6mo./6K miles.

·
Registered
200 Posts
By the way, what part of the Bay are you from? I gather by your sig. and area code, the Peninsula?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I see.

Is the "500 mile" initial break in oil change part of the maintenance plan? All I see is "Under no circumstances should oil change intervals exceed 6,000 miles (10,000 km) or six months, whichever comes first."

And yeah I'm in the Peninsula, Redwood City to be exact. Had to drive to the East Bay to pick up this Scat Pack as it was the only one I could find in Destroyer Grey with all the options that I wanted.

·
Registered
200 Posts
I've always done this with new vehicles. Just to get rid of any contaminates from a new engine. I belong to South Bay Challengers, look us up on FB.

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
13,263 Posts
Welcome to Challengertalk neighbor. I would start the clock, so to speak, the day you drove it off the lot. A Guy

·
Registered
2015 R/T
478 Posts
I changed mine at 1000 miles and since I only drive it on nice days and no winters I change it every May. no matter how many miles.

·
Premium Member
2,874 Posts
I know what you mean. If you wanted to get technical with these dealers many would need an oil change on delivery.
Like mine needed. Technically. Check your oil after a few hundred miles wipe the dipstick on a cloth and look at all the metal particles in the cloth ..... I would do it at the break in period too. Well did mine at 1400 miles but, should have done it sooner. If I were to do over.

Welcome to the forum!!! And most of all congrats on the Scat. I DO know what you mean. Loving every minute of it!
Just found out I can hit a button and collect songs I like on the radio. Neat with that Sirius working....

·
Registered
136 Posts
All,

When I search Advanced Auto Part's webpage for the Hellcat Red Eye owners manual recommended oil - 0W-40 Pennzoil Ultra Platinum - this product comes up.

https://shop.advanceautoparts.com/wcsstore/CVWEB/staticproductimage//N4019H/large/11379092_pzl_550036272_pri_larg.jpg

Why the Euro in the product name?

I'm going to do my own first oil and filter change at 500 miles (and I know there are two drain points, and will fill the filter before screwing new one on) and the engine uses 7 quarts of oil.

No wedded to Pennzoil as the manual says other premium all synthetic oils are fine.

Best,

Finface

·
Registered
9,082 Posts
That's not the correct oil. Doesn't have the needed additive package.

If oil shopping, just make sure that the "MS" rating is on the oil that you're considering.

Dealer list price on the SRT Pennz Ultra is $8.10 a quart. I'm getting mine for $7.49/quart.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I bought my '12 R/T w/manual trans from the dealership and drove it home(and did break-in procedures on the freeway by full throttling in 5th gear 6 or 7 times and let it decelerate back to speed limit, no lugging or overrevs), then dropped oil & filter and put dinosaur oil in with a Mopar filter, and also did the differential with good petroleum base 75W-90 & posi lube. At 4K miles, redid all fluids and used AmsOil products, drained/refilled rear end, trans and engine again. That was 111,000 miles ago.......no leaks, no oil consumption, just runs great. Oil changes get done around 8 to 10K miles or once a year, whichever comes first, and trans gets service every other oil change.
Good luck with your new ride!

·
Registered
4,293 Posts
I agree that an oil change after about 500 miles is a good idea. I'm a believer that a car should be given a spirited romp (within reason) early on. Leads to a better engine seat, and more aggressive adaptives. This is the main thing that will make your car faster than your friend who has the exact same ride ;)

·
Registered
2016 Scat Pack Shaker
543 Posts
All,

When I search Advanced Auto Part's webpage for the Hellcat Red Eye owners manual recommended oil - 0W-40 Pennzoil Ultra Platinum - this product comes up.

https://shop.advanceautoparts.com/wcsstore/CVWEB/staticproductimage//N4019H/large/11379092_pzl_550036272_pri_larg.jpg

I'm going to do my own first oil and filter change at 500 miles (and I know there are two drain points, and will fill the filter before screwing new one on) and the engine uses 7 quarts of oil.

No wedded to Pennzoil as the manual says other premium all synthetic oils are fine.

Best,

Finface
For 6.4L engine user manual states "The manufacturer recommends the use of Pennzoil Ultra 0W-40 or equivalent MOPAR engine oil meeting the requirements of FCA Material Standard MS-12633 for use in all operating temperatures." The EURO product does not meet MS-12633. The only Pennzoil product that meets the spec is Pennzoil Ultra Platinum 0W-40. I think a couple Forum members have found that Amzoil and maybe Mobil 1 have an oil that meets the spec as well.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Thanks for the replies! I'm at 95 miles now and on the drive home from the detailer's on Friday I'll vary the engine RPM and go up to 5,500 RPM, using the paddle shifters, recommended by the manual between 100 and 500 miles. It's going to be fun.

Fluids seem to be the best investment in caring for the cars and I'll change them more often. Eric G., your schedule is paying off.

·
Registered
1,539 Posts
Thanks for the replies! I'm at 95 miles now and on the drive home from the detailer's on Friday I'll vary the engine RPM and go up to 5,500 RPM, using the paddle shifters, recommended by the manual between 100 and 500 miles. It's going to be fun.

Fluids seem to be the best investment in caring for the cars and I'll change them more often. Eric G., your schedule is paying off.

Unless the RE owners manual is different the 5th edition of owners manual recommends keeping engine speed less than 3500 RPMs for the 1st 100 miles. From 100 to 300 miles the engine RPMs should be kept below 5K

At 300 to 500 miles the full engine RPM range can be used and shifting manually at higher RPMs is recommended.

My advice unless forbidden by the owners manual is to do an early (or 3) oil/filter service. Around 500 miles then another at 2K miles, then again at 5K miles then for my usage every 5K miles thereafter or 6 months, whichever comes first. The every 6 months is a Chrysler requirement but one I intend to follow.

My Hellcat doesn't even have 2500 miles on it since its last oil change last Dec. Come May (or maybe sooner) I'm having the oil changed again a bit before 6 months has elapsed.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Rockster,

Thanks, I stand corrected. I'm going to have to write this stuff on my palm. From the 2019 SRT Hellcat Owner's Manual.

0 to 100 miles:
• Do not allow the engine to operate at idle for an
extended period of time.
• Depress the accelerator pedal slowly and not more than
halfway to avoid rapid acceleration.
• Avoid aggressive braking.
• Drive with the engine speed less than 3,500 RPM.
• Maintain vehicle speed below 55 mph and
observe local speed limits.

100 to 300 miles:
• Depress the accelerator pedal slowly and not more than
halfway to avoid rapid acceleration in lower gears (1st to
3rd gears).
• Avoid aggressive braking.
• Drive with the engine speed less than 5,000 RPM.
• Maintain vehicle speed below 70 mph and

300 to 500 miles:
• Exercise the full engine rpm range, shifting manually at
higher rpms when possible.
• Do not perform sustained operation with the accelerator
pedal at wide open throttle.
• Maintain vehicle speed below 85 mph (136 km/h) and

Finface the under 100 mile no faster than 55 mph violator...

·
Registered
9,082 Posts
When I followed the break in procedure on my SP, I kept the highway speed steady, but continually shifted gears to vary the rpm's, but only to the max recommended rpms.

Don't know if this helped or not, but now at 27k miles, no oil useage and it runs stronger than ever with zero issues.

It loves to get run hard.

·
Registered
471 Posts
All,

From the Pennzoil page:

"Specially Formulated for European vehicles"

https://www.pennzoil.com/en_ca/products/full-synthetic-motor-oils/pennzoil-platinum-euro.html

·
Premium Member
239 Posts
MS-12633 is a scam created so that Penzoil would only have this spec when it first came out. It requires a two year taxi fleet test. It's all about $$ and not actual creating a spec that makes the oil any better.

Just use a high quality full synthetic. I use Amsoil and love it.

1 - 20 of 221 Posts