Dodge Challenger Forum banner

81 - 100 of 221 Posts

·
Premium Member
522 Posts
I trust my Ducati dealer. They do excellent work. They have never damaged my paint, failed to complete requested work, failed to do proper work or used an impact wrench when a torque wrench was needed. I trust my local mechanic for the Challenger. I trust the Subaru dealership for my DD. I think it is a bit of a stretch to assume everyone who has an issue with a dealer some how caused the issue by getting what they gave.

That would be a stretch, but it's not what I said. There are some dealers who are not up to par, so I think it's a stretch to assume that that means there are no good dealers, which you didn't say either. I have seen the way some people act toward dealerships while in the shop acting like an ass. And I've seen posts from some people insinuating the professional mechanic at the dealer is nothing more than a trained chimp. I can only hope they get what they give... karma baby!! My original comment started with "I must be the luckiest guy in the world.", because I've not had the bad dealer experience that apparently so many others have if posts on the web are to be believed. As a retired mechanic, I know we're all human, mistakes are made and accidents happen. It's how the mistakes are handled that matters most, to me anyway.

Actually, my original original comment was that I solve this over done issue of what is the correct oil to use by taking my car to the dealer.

·
Registered
570 Posts
I have seen the way some people act toward dealerships while in the shop acting like an ass. And I've seen posts from some people insinuating the professional mechanic at the dealer is nothing more than a trained chimp. I can only hope they get what they give... karma baby!!

As a retired mechanic, I know we're all human, mistakes are made and accidents happen. It's how the mistakes are handled that matters most, to me anyway.

Actually, my original original comment was that I solve this over done issue of what is the correct oil to use by taking my car to the dealer.
I fully agree with the first two, Paujw. But I don't take for granted that a dealer oil change would be with the correct oil.

There could be a couple of reasons for ending up with incorrect oil, that I can think of. One being that the tech is unaware of the (for all practical purposes) Pennzoil requirement and uses whatever 0W-40.

Another would be that the dealer doesn't have the Pennzoil in stock. Would they then say "Sorry, we're out, you'll have to come back next week", or just put whatever 0W-40 in there?
If they already drained the oil, I think I know the answer.

·
Premium Member
246 Posts
That would be a stretch, but it's not what I said. There are some dealers who are not up to par, so I think it's a stretch to assume that that means there are no good dealers, which you didn't say either. I have seen the way some people act toward dealerships while in the shop acting like an ass. And I've seen posts from some people insinuating the professional mechanic at the dealer is nothing more than a trained chimp. I can only hope they get what they give... karma baby!! My original comment started with "I must be the luckiest guy in the world.", because I've not had the bad dealer experience that apparently so many others have if posts on the web are to be believed. As a retired mechanic, I know we're all human, mistakes are made and accidents happen. It's how the mistakes are handled that matters most, to me anyway.

I agree, people can be asses. I also agree, mistakes happen. We are all human, just trying to make it through the day. How those mistakes are handled is what matters. In my case, my local Dodge dealer has lost my business by not handling mistakes well. Cheers Brother.

·
Premium Member
522 Posts
I fully agree with the first two, Paujw. But I don't take for granted that a dealer oil change would be with the correct oil.

There could be a couple of reasons for ending up with incorrect oil, that I can think of. One being that the tech is unaware of the (for all practical purposes) Pennzoil requirement and uses whatever 0W-40.

Another would be that the dealer doesn't have the Pennzoil in stock. Would they then say "Sorry, we're out, you'll have to come back next week", or just put whatever 0W-40 in there?
If they already drained the oil, I think I know the answer.

Those scenarios may be possible, but we all know that most any quality oil in the proper viscosity will do the job and if I have a record that the oil change was done by the dealer, my warranty would be intact if something catastrophic happened. In my case, my car is beyond its warranty period so it's a moot point anyway, unless they did something truly negligent like draining the oil and not refilling it.

·
Registered
570 Posts
Those scenarios may be possible, but we all know that most any quality oil in the proper viscosity will do the job and if I have a record that the oil change was done by the dealer, my warranty would be intact if something catastrophic happened.
Correct. Which brings us right back to the dumb 6-month oil change rule.

If you put the wrong oil in your car you may be screwed, but if a dealer does it, everything's just fine.

·
Premium Member
522 Posts
Correct. Which brings us right back to the dumb 6-month oil change rule.

If you put the wrong oil in your car you may be screwed, but if a dealer does it, everything's just fine.

Now you get it, that's why mine goes to the dealer... and I do agree, the 6mo rule is harsh since oils have improved so much over the years and some of us don't even drive these things during the winter months, but thems the rules. :( On the other hand, some of us drive them so seldom that the oil does have a chance to collect a lot of moisture which is not good for internals, so I suspect that's a part of the reasoning behind the time factors. I don't know how the formula is arrived at, I just do my best to keep to a 5000mi schedule which comes along way before 6mos because I can't seem to stop driving the dang thing. :D

Anyway, we've beat this dead horse quite enough. Life's too short. Enjoy your ride!

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
Now you get it, that's why mine goes to the dealer... and I do agree, the 6mo rule is harsh since oils have improved so much over the years and some of us don't even drive these things during the winter months, but thems the rules. :( On the other hand, some of us drive them so seldom that the oil does have a chance to collect a lot of moisture which is not good for internals, so I suspect that's a part of the reasoning behind the time factors. I don't know how the formula is arrived at, I just do my best to keep to a 5000mi schedule which comes along way before 6mos because I can't seem to stop driving the dang thing. :D

Anyway, we've beat this dead horse quite enough. Life's too short. Enjoy your ride!
Oil may be better but the stuff that contaminates the oil is still nasty stuff. And if the engine isn't being run then the contaminates stratify and become more powerful and can possibly damage gaskets/seals.

Those owners who change the oil then put the car away for months are outliers. Dodge can't be bothered to put together a complex chart to cover say oil change on time based on how many miles under 6K miles one drove.

Do you expect something like: 0 to 100 miles; never change the oil; 101 to 200 miles; change oil every 99 years; ... 5900 to 5999; change the oil at 5 months, 29 days, 23 hours, 59 minutes.

The average is I would say an owner driving 3K miles in 6 months. (Which it just so happens is very close to my situation with my Hellcat.)

The 3K miles have been accumulated over the 6 months of the worst weather this area has to offer, the worst of winter here. Sure our winters are mild compared to a large part of the rest of the country but the engine still experiences a lot of colder running, more idling, shorter trips, more humidity. When I check the oil level the oil on the dipstick tip doesn't look as "healthy" as the oil looks in the summer months with "summer" miles on the oil. At this stage in the summer the oil would still have some amber color to it. Not quite as dark as the oil was in my VW Golf TDi (diesel) but dark enough.

To me it is very smart engine hygiene to change the oil at 6 months even though I've only covered 3K miles. (I'd feel the same if the oil had even fewer miles on it. But I'd question the wisdom of having a nearly $70K car that I only found time to drive not even 3K miles in 6 months.)

·
Registered
3,643 Posts
Oil may be better but the stuff that contaminates the oil is still nasty stuff. And if the engine isn't being run then the contaminates stratify and become more powerful and can possibly damage gaskets/seals.

Those owners who change the oil then put the car away for months are outliers. Dodge can't be bothered to put together a complex chart to cover say oil change on time based on how many miles under 6K miles one drove.
This.

Good ol' K.I.S.S.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Shifting gears, oil in its containers or in your crankcase over the winter will not go bad. Do they change the oil at the dealerships on the millions of cars new and old that sit for months and years unsold? I think that changing oil on a new car at 500 miles, 1000 miles, 1500 miles etc, is slightly overkill, but of course we own them, and we can do what we want with them and put whatever oil we want in them. It's all good. Some car manufacturers, lexus, Toyota to name a few, recommend with synthetic oil 10,000 miles or 1 year, whichever comes first.
Since purchasing the 2018 Challenger T/A last Sunday at Jim Cogdill Dodge in Knoxville, TN, I actually did negotiate an oil change for my car, as it was about 400 days old at purchase time.

My other concern was the potential issue of flat spotting of the tires, due to prolonged setting in one position.

Upon talking to my salesman.....I had a great outlook on my tires, but not such a great outlook on the engine oil. It seems as if they “freshen up” their lot by moving inventory around every two weeks......good for the tires, but not so good for the engine oil due to the frequent startups associated with jockeying the cars around on the lot. My car had ~25 miles on it when I test drove it. It’s now at ~435 miles or so, most accrued by my wonderful daughter.

When my salesman told me service was closed Sundays (I already assumed / knew that) I told him I wouldn’t be back for the free oil change, since I live about 2.5 hours and 140 miles away.

I hotshot for a living and make frequent trips to the Marietta / Atlanta GA area. Just this week he had a care package ready to go for Yellow Jacket.....in the form of 7 quarts of 5W20 Pennzoil Synthetic and a MOPAR oil filter. Additionally.......the tires are indeed just fine, zero vibration issues or noise problems.

I guess I shall be bonding with the Challenger this weekend...... :wink3:

Attachments

·
Registered
4,293 Posts
Beware, the oil filter could be on very tight, the factory applied ones usually are.

And, I would recommend filling with 6.6 quarts, and then topping it off from there after you run and check it. Good luck!

·
Registered
248 Posts
Beware, the oil filter could be on very tight, the factory applied ones usually are.

And, I would recommend filling with 6.6 quarts, and then topping it off from there after you run and check it. Good luck!
Having owned a 2010 Grand Cherokee Limited with 5.7L, as well as seven RAM / Cummins equipped trucks from 2500’s to my current 4500, I can certainly understand the OE filter tightness that lurks!!! In any event......it’ll get done.....

·
Registered
13,618 Posts
A 93 mm 15 flute filter wrench will make quick work of that filter, they put it on dry so that makes it even worse.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
536 Posts

Now that's a fact! A year later and with twelve miles on the Demon, It was time to change the oil and filter. The filter was on so tight that the rubber gasket remained on the mounting surface when removed. Not a oil expert but after doing some checking, decided to go with what was recommended, Pennzoil Ultra platinum 0-40 and went with the upgraded SRT filter as well. Don't need any problems with the dealer regarding the warranty if a issue would arise...

HOT ROD ON

·
Registered
570 Posts
A year later and with twelve miles on the Demon...decided to go with what was recommended, Pennzoil Ultra platinum 0-40... Don't need any problems with the dealer regarding the warranty if a issue would arise...

HOT ROD ON
Hate to tell you, but one year is over six months, so your warranty is technically toast already.
Unless this was your second oil change.

·
Registered
13,618 Posts
Hate to tell you, but one year is over six months, so your warranty is technically toast already.

Noticed that too and also, the gasket sticks to the housing because it was installed dry not because it was too tight. I didn't think my factory filters were overly tight but that dry gasket will stick like glue so watch for it.

·
Premium Member
536 Posts

Noticed that too and also, the gasket sticks to the housing because it was installed dry not because it was too tight. I didn't think my factory filters were overly tight but that dry gasket will stick like glue so watch for it.

No worries, did some serious inquires on this issue with my service manager before hand and was informed that all is well. Besides, If I wanted to be a jerk about the whole thing, I could present them with the oil purchase recipiets from the 09 SRT, really didn't want to void the expensive seven year extended warranty that I had purchased and that was a major concern here. As far as the sticking gasket goes, oil or not, I have encountered this issue more that a few time over the many years that I have been building and working on hot rods, that being said, that Demon filter was the most secure that I have ever encountered, period. The car had four miles on the clock upon delivery, so in all actuality, I have only put eight miles on the beast. That equates to sixteen quarter mile passes plus the return or thirty two eight mile passes. I'll never tell! Now that we have all that out of the way, just about have all the parts on hand to make it more streetable in the very near future. Thanks all for your concerns....

HOT ROD ON

·
Registered
100 Posts
I apologize. Don’t have time to read through this whole thread. But is the 392 Hemi in The Challenger Scat Pack 1320 is the same as the 392 in the Charger Scat? Obviously.

Just want to make sure it takes the same 7 quarts Pennzoil 0W40 oil and MO-899 Mopar filter?

81 - 100 of 221 Posts