Dodge Challenger Forum banner

121 - 140 of 221 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
The owners manual is not the right place to put the filter part number or the oil part number of any part number. Part numbers change and then the owner would be trying to buy the wrong part based on a discontinued part number.

The best advice I can offer is get the part number from the dealer's parts department. The parts department should have up to date part info for your car and if there is a part number change it should know this and then select and give you the right part based on this information.

Good points man.

The manual does say which oil we should use though. Pennzoil 0w40 Full Synthetic. Ultra Platinum. 7 quarts. But a lot of guys on the Charger forums say it only takes 6 1/2

I also have an 18 Camaro SS. It does give the oil filter part # in the manual

And had a 03 Cobra. It also gave the part #.

But. It’s no big deal. I’ll just pick up the phone and call the dealership and pick one up. Instead of ordering online.

·
Registered
5,297 Posts
Good points man.

The manual does say which oil we should use though. Pennzoil 0w40 Full Synthetic. Ultra Platinum. 7 quarts. But a lot of guys on the Charger forums say it only takes 6 1/2

But. It’s no big deal. I’ll just pick up the phone and call the dealership and pick one up. Instead of ordering online.
Or you can check a few posts back.
https://www.challengertalk.com/forums/8468089-post106.html

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
Good points man.

Can't help you regarding the amount of oil the engine requires. I've never changed my Hellcat's oil.

Shortly after I bought the car with the idea I would change the oil myself, I bought 8 quarts of oil, 7 for the refill and one qauart as spare, but I so far have not changed the oil myself. When I have the car in to have the oil changed the invoice states 7 quarts of oil was used and that's what I'm charged for. The oil level shows full on the dipstick.

So GM and Ford at least in some cases put the oil filter part # in the owners manual.

But I can tell you by way of comparison the owners manuals for at least 2 of my Porsche cars didn't have part #'s for anything. And even the info regarding which oil to use was out of date. Apparently Porsche never bothered to update that section of the owners manual.

At the bottom of the (outdated) oil selection section, there was a sentence directing one to a Porsche dealer for the latest info on oil. My dealer service department would print out a list of approved oils and I just went with the oil that was of course on the list and was the factory fill oil: Mobil 1 0w-40. At some point I switched to using an approved 5w-50 oil because while it didn't get cold where I live and drive - and even 5w-50 is ok to use down to -25C at which point Porsche calls for 0w-40 -- it can get darn hot here.

Over the years it has become my habit to rely upon a dealer parts department to know the most up to date part and part # info. For instance when I went in for a new battery for my Boxster I learned Porsche had changed the part # to a larger battery. Fortunately while larger -- longer -- it still fit in the battery box all I had to do was move the battery hold down out to the next hole, which happened to have a threaded nut insert. In another case I found the part # for the windshield washer nozzles had changed.

·
Premium Member
536 Posts
Good points man.The manual does say which oil we should use though. Pennzoil 0w40 Full Synthetic. Ultra Platinum. 7 quarts. But a lot of guys on the Charger forums say it only takes 6 1/2

If the oil cooler on the Hellcat and Demon are not drained during the oil change, that's about where you'll end up. Both the front and rear belly pans must be removed to access the drain plug on the cooler. The Demon took exactly seven quarts, no problem...

https://youtu.be/RQgzUl2eNpY

HOT ROD ON

·
Registered
132 Posts
All,

Today I stopped in my dealership and bought 8 quarts of the recommended oil for my Red Eye, and a filter. I'll change the oil and filter somewhere between 500 and 1,000 miles. Only 280 miles on it now. 7 quarts for the change, one to add in case the engine uses oil during the break in period, which does happen says the manual.

I introduced myself to the head service manager and he told me that FCA runs our engines to test them before they are put in the cars. And that they drain their "test oil", and while he didn't day it maybe the filter too, and replace with the oil and filter the manual says can go 6,000 miles before the first oil change. How about that? He didn't mention the six month interval, and I forgot to ask about that.

In this thread somebody mentioned there is an upgraded SRT oil filter. The filter I was sold today, while talking to the parts guy about my Red Eye, cost $9.20. My receipt just has a part number, nothing special about the 6.2 high output engine. If you have an "SRT" engine - this would be a Scat Pack or Hellcat - shouldn't it have an SRT oil filter?

Last comment/question - draining the oil cooler on a Hellcat...that tubing/assembly is aluminum and I bet it's easy to break it. If, as most here have said, we change our oil and filter at more like 3,000 miles instead of 6,000, and/or at 6 months, wouldn't it be okay to not mess with the oil cooler at all? Oil left in there is going to be in pretty good shape I'd imagine, and would be blended with 6.5 quarts or so of new oil.

I'll make a call to the dealership tomorrow and ask about the filter.

Best,

Finface

·
Registered
570 Posts
Last comment/question - draining the oil cooler on a Hellcat...that tubing/assembly is aluminum and I bet it's easy to break it. If, as most here have said, we change our oil and filter at more like 3,000 miles instead of 6,000, and/or at 6 months, wouldn't it be okay to not mess with the oil cooler at all? Oil left in there is going to be in pretty good shape I'd imagine, and would be blended with 6.5 quarts or so of new oil.
Yes, the cooler lines are somewhat fragile, which is why there's a machined part to use a "support wrench" on, taking any stress off the lines. Besides, that drain plug is not tight as all. At least it wasn't on the two I've changed oil on.

Is it okay not to drain the cooler? Your call, but especially for the first change I would recommend doing it.
Yes, the oil in there may be in good shape, visually, but it's still contaminated with break-in crap.

·
Registered
13,618 Posts
When the Hellcat first came out FCA said the engines were run in for 42 minutes at up to 85% load at the engine plant in Mexico before shipment to Brampton and assume that is still being done. So if so, seems the engine is mostly broken in when you get it but I'd still do an early change at maybe 1500 miles or 2 months.

Don't know the specifics and if they drain the oil after and change the filter or not but you would think that they would.

The stock oil filter is the 899 so assume that's what they sold you, the part number is 04884899AB.

The oil cooler is not an issue as long as they use two wrenches to back up the plug, if they just put a wrench on the plug yes they can twist the cooler end and crack it. I'd get the cooler drained and stay on the 6 months, those 6 months will come fast enough. But it's all about who's putting the wrenches to it and do they know what they are doing, I'd want to see what's going on over there before I give them the car.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
536 Posts
Drain the oil cooler, don't need a half quart of old contaminated oil mixing with the new oil! Use a wrench to hold the oil drain block and remove plug, simple. The hardest part is removing the front pan...

HOT ROD ON

·
Registered
4,293 Posts
Sure you can pour 7 quarts in and not think twice, I've never had an oil use issue on all 3 of my SRT Hemis, and would have never needed to even check the dipstick, even though I have many times. That said, if you actually want to use the dipstick and have the oil level somewhere close to the fill line, I would highly recommend only adding about 6.6 quarts. At 7 quarts it's too full to be useful. I've probably done about 40 oil changes on 6.1s and 6.4s, they have all been like this. I have never drained the oil cooler on a 6.4, probably why I don't need a full 7 quarts. I over-change my oil, so I've never worried about a little old oil still circulating in there. I have no experience with the 6.2L motor.

·
Registered
970 Posts
You should drain the oil cooler (the dealership should/will) on the 6.2L.

The "SRT" filter is actually a Viper filter. The standard filter is fine, really, but many of us choose to use the "upgrade". Part #5038041AA

·
Registered
108 Posts
I will take my car to the dealer for oil changes every 6 months exactly like the warranty requires until the day the warranty runs out. After that, I will probably continue to use the recommended oil but since it is very unlikely I put a lot of miles on my car they can blow that 6 month requirement out their a--.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Slidd,

Thanks for the info - "The stock oil filter is the 899 so assume that's what they sold you, the part number is 04884899AB"

My receipt has 04884899AC, not AB, and the description says 161-C Filter Engine.

Probably the C stands for "Made in China", instead of the B which might stand for "Made in Bulgaria".

You never know with the global economy these days!

I actually googled it and found this...04884899AB supercedes to 04884899AC.

Best,

Finface

·
Registered
570 Posts
I will take my car to the dealer for oil changes every 6 months exactly like the warranty requires until the day the warranty runs out.
Please note that the warranty has nothing to do with the dealer performing the oil change. It just states that the oil should be changed, and it doesn't matter who does it.

·
Premium Member
536 Posts
Sure you can pour 7 quarts in and not think twice, I've never had an oil use issue on all 3 of my SRT Hemis, and would have never needed to even check the dipstick, even though I have many times. That said, if you actually want to use the dipstick and have the oil level somewhere close to the fill line, I would highly recommend only adding about 6.6 quarts. At 7 quarts it's too full to be useful. I've probably done about 40 oil changes on 6.1s and 6.4s, they have all been like this. I have never drained the oil cooler on a 6.4, probably why I don't need a full 7 quarts. I over-change my oil, so I've never worried about a little old oil still circulating in there. I have no experience with the 6.2L motor.

Now that's a fact! No way was I ever able to add seven quarts at oil change on my 6.1 without being well over the full mark as well, learned that lesion long ago. Not at all familiar with the 6.4, but I have never encountered a oil service drain port for the oil cooler on the 6.1. As far as the 6.2 is concerned, since they took the time and expense to redesign the oil cooler with a drain port, I can surly take the extra time and take advantage of it by performing a proper oil change by draining the complete system during the process...

HOT ROD ON

·
Registered
527 Posts
The dealer provided 3 complementary oil changes with the purchase of my Scat Pack. Oil level was above the full line after each change. Just completed the first change myself adding 7 quarts, the level was above full same as when dealer did the change. While it bugged me a little that the level was above the full line it's not a lot and I wasn't loosing any sleep over it. EricG, thanks for pointing out oil cooler, mystery solved. I had not thought about that.

Interestingly my 5.7L Ram also requires 7 quarts. When 7 quarts are added the level is half way between the add and full lines. I added another line to both dipsticks to indicate the level after adding 7 quarts so I will know if either vehicle uses any oil.

·
Registered
100 Posts
I’ve been going to the same quick oil change place for 20 years. Where I live. I know the owner. He owns at least 3 of them

Anyways, I’d always bring my daily driver there every 3k/3months.

I used to change my own oil on my nice cars. Can’t anymore because of some health issues.

I’ve brought a couple brand new cars there over the past few years when I reach 1k miles for the first oil change.

They always tell me I’m nuts. That the oil is clean and I shouldn’t change it yet. Lol. On a brand new engine, I always do the first oil change at 1k miles. And then every 6-12 months. I don’t drive it that much.

·
Registered
100 Posts
I will take my car to the dealer for oil changes every 6 months exactly like the warranty requires until the day the warranty runs out. After that, I will probably continue to use the recommended oil but since it is very unlikely I put a lot of miles on my car they can blow that 6 month requirement out their a--.
I love your green scat, man. Looks awesome!

·
Super Moderator
12,972 Posts
Green scat...you should get that looked at >:)

A Guy

·
Premium Member
536 Posts
Well, it looks like a warranty denial memo has been issued to all service managers regarding oil change intervals. if the 6000 miles or six months has been eclipsed, it obvious from the memo that you are SOL on getting them to do any repairs because of the lack of engine maintenance on your part, your warranty is voided, period. From this point forward, it's oil change by the #s on last years hot rod, even if the miles are still at 12....

https://youtu.be/xtE-MG79b6U

HOT ROD ON

121 - 140 of 221 Posts