Dodge Challenger Forum banner

141 - 160 of 221 Posts

·
Registered
9,092 Posts
No big surprise that FCA sent this out. They're giving warning to all, including all garage queens.

·
Premium Member
542 Posts
Should of known, that the service managers that I contacted regarding oil change duration were talking out their tail pipes! as usual....

HOT ROD ON

·
Registered
100 Posts
Well, it looks like a warranty denial memo has been issued to all service managers regarding oil change intervals. if the 6000 miles or six months has been eclipsed, it obvious from the memo that you are SOL on getting them to do any repairs because of the lack of engine maintenance on your part, your warranty is voided, period. From this point forward, it's oil change by the #s on last years hot rod, even if the miles are still at 12....

https://youtu.be/xtE-MG79b6U

HOT ROD ON
I hope Chevy isn’t the same because it’s been 8 months since I last had my oil changed on my 18 Camaro SS. And 1k miles. F that. The oil still looks brand new. Mobil 1 5w30. It takes 10 quarts too.

·
Registered
9,092 Posts
Should of known, that the service managers that I contacted regarding oil change duration were talking out their tail pipes! as usual....

HOT ROD ON
Back when I got my '16, I had a great talk with the service manager, who is a heck of a great guy and a Mopar guy too.

He told me 6 months or 6k, and that I better stick to it for one very good reason. One never knows if and when FCA will really crack the warranty whip for service schedules..........and you don't want to be the one with an engine issue when they do, especially with the Lifetime Warranty.

I've been following it and keeping receipts, and I use the Pennz that FCA recommends.

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
13,312 Posts
It's not a change, but a reminder to their own people...don't forget, lol. And it won't automatically void your warranty. The failure would have to be a lubrication failure, and if it was, then only the engine warranty would be affected. If your water pump goes, they can't deny that because of the oil change interval. Any lifter, camshaft, rocker, crank, piston issues of course could be due to lubrication issues, and if they deemed it so, it would be a female dog to fight, but it's not a given they say oh, 7 months since oil change, denied...but they could.

It's all the people who buy one, park it in their collection, or take it out every so often who might be caught unaware. All the more reason to join Challengertalk, and discuss if an oil is certified, or if a wheel is hub centric :D

A Guy

·
Premium Member
542 Posts
It's not a change, but a reminder to their own people A Guy

Apparently, it's quite obvious that the service managers that I contacted regarding oil change requirements never received the first Memo on this issue. Didn't want to be in default if an issue would arise, like a rod half way through the block on the Demon. That would suck!....

HOT ROD ON

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
13,312 Posts
Indeed, the onus is always on you. Roll the dice that you won't have a failure, or throw away perfectly good oil every 6 months, lol. For the cost of oil, seems a no brainer

A Guy

·
Premium Member
542 Posts
Indeed, the onus is always on you. Roll the dice that you won't have a failure, or throw away perfectly good oil every 6 months, lol. For the cost of oil, seems a no brainer

A Guy

Easy choice there! Was thinking the used new oil could go in the 09. That'll work!

HOT ROD ON

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
13,312 Posts
Like hand me downs for the kids. Only the oldest gets new clothes, lol.

A Guy

·
Registered
84 Posts
I hope Chevy isn’t the same because it’s been 8 months since I last had my oil changed on my 18 Camaro SS. And 1k miles. F that. The oil still looks brand new. Mobil 1 5w30. It takes 10 quarts too.
I have a C7 Z06 I bought new. The oil life monitor will dictate when an oil change is due. The new algorithms in the oil life monitor/computer factor in time as well as miles among other factors. Your SS should have the same system.

·
Registered
100 Posts
I have a C7 Z06 I bought new. The oil life monitor will dictate when an oil change is due. The new algorithms in the oil life monitor/computer factor in time as well as miles among other factors. Your SS should have the same system.
I’ve done a lot of research. OLMs aren’t that reliable.

With that being said. If you don’t drive any car that much and it’s garage kept. I think 8-12 months oil changes are good enough.

·
Registered
2018 Dodge Challenger T/A Plus in Yellow Jacket w/5.7L and A8 automatic
355 Posts

A Guy
You think it is bad here?

You should peruse www.cumminsforum.com or www.turbodieselregister.com and the like. These guys, on average, buy as expensive, often times more expensive, RAM HD Cummins equipped trucks than Challengers and they cry, piss, moan, groan, bellyache, gripe, and complain like HELLLLLLLLLLLLL.

Since I run commercial in my 2018 RAM 4500 Cab & Chassis, time is never an issue for my oil changes. I’m currently at 144k with an in service date of April 23rd, 2018. :surprise:

In a nutshell......FCA administers the warranty. One has a maintenance schedule within their owner’s manual.

In the end.....it’s your Challenger (RAM) and your warranty......do as you see fit.

·
Registered
570 Posts
You think it is bad here?

You should peruse www.cumminsforum.com or www.turbodieselregister.com and the like. These guys, on average, buy as expensive, often times more expensive, RAM HD Cummins equipped trucks than Challengers and they cry, piss, moan, groan, bellyache, gripe, and complain like HELLLLLLLLLLLLL.
Well, in all fairness, the Rams generally have an oil filter that is "impossible" to get to.
Much like a Challenger requires tons of effort since there are two shields to remove, and and oil cooler drain.

·
Registered
355 Posts
Well, in all fairness, the Rams generally have an oil filter that is "impossible" to get to.
Much like a Challenger requires tons of effort since there are two shields to remove, and and oil cooler drain.
I was actually referring to the 500 hours / 6 months / 15,000 miles deal particularly....

But, some gripe, too about the oil filter placement. Never was an issue [for me] removing the intake tract those 24 or 25 times over the course of 362,000 miles whilst owning the 2014 RAM 3500 Radio Flyer.

My lowly 5.7L Challenger T/A does not have any oil cooler to attend to. 0:)

·
Registered
355 Posts
Uh, oh, there you go muddying the waters (dirtying the oil?) by throwing engine hours into the equation, too.
So while on the subject, what is the best oil?
RAM = Any oil meeting Cummins CES 20086 specs >:) my favorite is Delo 400 XSP 5W40 Synthetic

Challenger T/A 5.7L = Any oil meeting FCA’s spec of MS-6395 >:) my favorite oil is Castrol EDGE 5W20 Full Synthetic

:info-smilie:

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
13,312 Posts
They complain on the Camaro and Corvette forums too. They have an algorithm that says when to change, but even if you change it and let it sit for a year, it will say 0% when you start it, it also uses time as a function, and 1 year is the max. And I believe theirs is 10 quarts

A Guy

·
Registered
570 Posts
RAM = Any oil meeting Cummins CES 20086 specs >:) my favorite is Delo 400 XSP 5W40 Synthetic

Challenger T/A 5.7L = Any oil meeting FCA’s spec of MS-6395 >:) my favorite oil is Castrol EDGE 5W20 Full Synthetic

:info-smilie:
Okay, so what was your recommendation for oil in your prior Challenger, with the V6?

Curious since I have a Ram with that V6. I'm guessing a 50/50 mix of CES 20086 and whatever the V6 should have would be the correct oil, right?

·
Registered
355 Posts
Okay, so what was your recommendation for oil in your prior Challenger, with the V6?

Curious since I have a Ram with that V6. I'm guessing a 50/50 mix of CES 20086 and whatever the V6 should have would be the correct oil, right?
No, no, no, Jimmy....follow me with the math.

6.7L Cummins holds 12 quarts
3.6L Challenger or Ram 1500 holds 6 quarts

12+6=18 quarts
12 is 2/3rds of 18
6 is 1/3rd of 18

Thus........if one wanted to mix it, one would use 4 quarts (12/18=2/3rds) of CES 20086 rated oil, then only 2 quarts (6/18=1/3rd) of MS-6395 rated oil. :domotwak:

(I did, however, run 6 quarts of Castrol EDGE 5W20 Full Synthetic in ol’ B5 Blue)

141 - 160 of 221 Posts