Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Finally got to the track for the first time. I went to the Test & Tune event down at National Trails today. DA was pretty high at 2300, but I feel I did okay for a 1st timer. I have a 2014 Dodge Challenger R/T Shaker with Mid-Muffler swap and Hemifever Tune. Lowered pressure on my tires to 25 psi. I did hook up pretty well on the first two runs, but after that I spun a lot. Got about 8 runs in, but I am only displaying the 3 best runs.

Attachments

·
Registered
2015 Dodge Challenger R/T Scat Pack
1,189 Posts
Finally got to the track for the first time. I went to the Test & Tune event down at National Trails today. DA was pretty high at 2300, but I feel I did okay for a 1st timer. I have a 2014 Dodge Challenger R/T Shaker with Mid-Muffler swap and Hemifever Tune. Lowered pressure on my tires to 25 psi. I did hook up pretty well on the first two runs, but after that I spun a lot. Got about 8 runs in, but I am only displaying the 3 best runs.
Nice man! You got into the 13's on your first time out, that's pretty good! That DA is not good at all either, your car will pick up in cooler weather for sure. It's a lot of fun isn't it?

Couple cheap/free things you can do next time you go...
- Pump up front tires to 45psi (reduced rolling resistance)
- Remove trunk floor liner and tray/compressor or spare/jack (25-40lbs there depending on what you have)
- Pull air filter for passes only (reinstall before leaving)
- Run no more than 1/3 tank of fuel in tank, preferably 1/4 tank (use 93 octane minimum)

It's a lot of fun and very addicting! Good to see you took your car out there and had a good time!

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Nice man! You got into the 13's on your first time out, that's pretty good! That DA is not good at all either, your car will pick up in cooler weather for sure. It's a lot of fun isn't it?

Couple cheap/free things you can do next time you go...
- Pump up front tires to 45psi (reduced rolling resistance)
- Remove trunk floor liner and tray/compressor or spare/jack (25-40lbs there depending on what you have)
- Pull air filter for passes only (reinstall before leaving)
- Run no more than 1/3 tank of fuel in tank, preferably 1/4 tank (use 93 octane minimum)

It's a lot of fun and very addicting! Good to see you took your car out there and had a good time!
I should have been a little more clear when I stated I lowered the pressure in the tires. I lowered the pressure on the rear tires to 25 psi. Front tires were at 35 psi. I will definitely try increasing the pressure in the front tires. I was thinking about removing the spare tire and jack this week. Quick 50 lb weight loss if I clear out the trunk. I may try the air filter. I did clean it about 2 weeks ago, but wouldn't hurt. I did have my tank at 1/3rd with an octane boost. I already use 93 Octane.
It is a blast running. My wife watched and recorded my runs. Sucks when you run against cars that hit the mid 11's lol. I lost to a newer Mustang GT by .28 seconds, but I spun a ton out of the gate. I know if I would have hooked I would have beat him. Now my wife and I will be running next Sunday. She wants to get into the action :grin2:.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Your very consistent ETs show you can have a lot of fun bracket racing.
I know nothing of Bracket Racing and had to look it up. National Trails just finished the Bracket Racing season about a week ago, but perhaps I could get involved next year. This Sunday they have another Test & Tune event, so I will head down there again and get some more practice.

I checked my intake manifold bolts today after seeing the thread on them. Found all of them were very loose (6-8 turns each) so I torqued them back to 105 inch lbs. One question I do have for you gentlemen is this: With Nitto 555R or Mickey Thompson Street Tires, do these tires breech the NHRA rules requiring a Driveshaft Loop?

·
Registered
312 Posts
Your very consistent ETs show you can have a lot of fun bracket racing.
I was thinking exactly the same thing. Reactions times are consistent as well. Would be a matter of changing the car\staging to get into the .040 RT range. That would break a lot of hearts on the drag strip.

·
Registered
233 Posts
I need to get out to National Trail and run mine at some point. That sounds like a lot of fun, hope you had a great time.

·
Premium Member
2,874 Posts

·
Registered
850 Posts
Kazman is correct though. You need to get your reaction time much lower and be consistent. That's the secret to winning bracket racing. (Believe me, winning increases the fun factor) :)

·
Registered
4,294 Posts
...and if you read his post, those were only his top 3 runs, about a third of his runs from the day :)

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
...and if you read his post, those were only his top 3 runs, about a third of his runs from the day :)
True, but these were my first three runs as well as my best runs. I got about 7-8 runs in total with the highest being a 14.1. Each run was inching higher and higher in time, but I wanted to get practice in the box. If anyone wants to see all the slips, I am more than happy to oblige.

·
Registered
850 Posts
I think you did great for your first time. My first times at the track I paid most attention to launching my car and didn't worry about the reaction times.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The adrenaline rush was something else and I definitely see how addictive this stuff is. If I can get my Challenger down into the 12's, I'll be happy. Then again, if I do, I know I will want more lol.

·
Premium Member
2,874 Posts
The adrenaline rush was something else and I definitely see how addictive this stuff is. If I can get my Challenger down into the 12's, I'll be happy. Then again, if I do, I know I will want more lol.
It NEVER ends. There in lies the problem. Good luck!

·
Registered
724 Posts
Drag racing is like SEX once you start it you will never stop it lol. I started in 1959 and I am still doing it and all my cars have been MOPARS.

·
Premium Member
2,874 Posts
Drag racing is like SEX once you start it you will never stop it lol. I started in 1959 and I am still doing it and all my cars have been MOPARS.

Well giddyap Pilgrim. (don't know what that means but I thought it so....) You ROCK!!!

·
Registered
4,294 Posts
True, but these were my first three runs as well as my best runs. I got about 7-8 runs in total with the highest being a 14.1. Each run was inching higher and higher in time, but I wanted to get practice in the box. If anyone wants to see all the slips, I am more than happy to oblige.
I am not doubting you my friend, nice runs! :)

·
Registered
2015 Dodge Challenger R/T Scat Pack
1,189 Posts
^ Yep, that's exactly it. Man if I could just get into the 13's. Mid 13's sure would be cool. If I just do these few mods it'll run low 13's. I'm so close to 12's now, just need to get some lightweight wheels. Got a 12.9 timeslip! 12.5 isn't that far away...

Haha it just goes on and on. It never ends. But it's always fun!

·
Registered
1,148 Posts

This is freaking amazing. I want to be like you as I mature..... I too only race and own Mopars.

^ Yep, that's exactly it. Man if I could just get into the 13's. Mid 13's sure would be cool. If I just do these few mods it'll run low 13's. I'm so close to 12's now, just need to get some lightweight wheels. Got a 12.9 timeslip! 12.5 isn't that far away...

Haha it just goes on and on. It never ends. But it's always fun!
Listen to this advice, it's so true.... I started off last year with a 14.1, and thought 12's are in my car...... Now I'm chasing 11's hopefully this weekend..... Have fun no matter what it runs my friend, it never gets old.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts