Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone! I am new to Challengertalk, and I am glad to finally be a member! I have a Black 2013 Challenger R/T Plus Blacktop Edition 6-speed manual and I am about to detail for the first time. I was hoping you all out there could recommend products to use, as well as a step-by-step procedure to get it done correctly. I would really appreciate it! I want to make sure I do it correctly with the correct products. How much time should I expect to put aside for this project? Is there a special way to treat the decals that go along the top of the car?

Thanks everyone!

·
Premium Member
5,641 Posts
Not needed yet...

I had a Blacktop. When they are new...all they need is quick wax (most brands good). This stuff is safe on stripes. No waxy build up. I used it regularly. It will build up over time and create a great smooth surface that protects...and water just beads off.

Reactions: ShoeFace

·
Registered
171 Posts
I have the same vehicle, love it! For the interior I recommend the Turtle Wax ICE Interior detail spray. You can use it on pretty much everything but leather. It does a great job, doesn't look wet, just bring the natural sheen out and I actually like the smell as well. Kind of new car-ish. Then get a leather care spray for the seats. I don't have a specific rec for that though, can't remember what brand I have at home.

The Turtle Wax Black Box is really good as well. It has a good carnauba wax and other products you'll need. Just follow the directions. You can wax the stripes just fine with no problems. There are dozens of opinions on what is best. I'm a fan of a good carnauba wax.

As far as washing, get one of the solutions that won't strip wax like the Meguire's Crystal Wash if I remember correctly. I would recommend searching this site or going through the detail specific forum if you want more detailed info. Good luck, nothing looks better than a freshly washed black challenger. It's keeping it clean that's the problem!

·
Registered
4,803 Posts
Meguiars black wax and Meguiars carnuba followed by a coat of Wolfgang paste wax. That car will take all day to do it but it will look brand new for months. Also, do yourself a favor, use 2 buckets when you wash it and use a California car blade to dry it. You use two buckets so that you dip your sponge in one bucket and do a body panel on the car then put the sponge in the second bucket to wash it off. This stops dirt from settling back on the sponge. Then, when drying use terry cloth towels as well as the car blade. The car blade will pull off 90% of the water and then you use the terry cloth to wipe up what it missed.

·
Registered
82 Posts
I would say don't wash it in the sun. If you get water spots on it, they are a pain in your a$$ to get rid of. Black is one of the best looking rides. I have had two black automoblies. But it takes a lot of care to keep them looking great.

·
Premium Member
5,641 Posts
Agree on 2 buckets...

Meguiars black wax and Meguiars carnuba followed by a coat of Wolfgang paste wax. That car will take all day to do it but it will look brand new for months. Also, do yourself a favor, use 2 buckets when you wash it and use a California car blade to dry it. You use two buckets so that you dip your sponge in one bucket and do a body panel on the car then put the sponge in the second bucket to wash it off. This stops dirt from settling back on the sponge. Then, when drying use terry cloth towels as well as the car blade. The car blade will pull off 90% of the water and then you use the terry cloth to wipe up what it missed.
The car will look new with Quick Wax if:

1. Garage it when not in use...I did...mine was daily driver
2. 2 "Bucket Rule"
3. Micro-Fiber towels for waxing, drying, etc.

P.S. I use a leaf blower to dry my car. No water spots. No friction. Takes 4 minutes.

·
Registered
4,803 Posts
The California Car Blade is better for the paint than towels and takes much less time. It can also be used on windows.

·
Registered
1,825 Posts
If there are no swirl marks in yet protect it now with Cquartz sealer, I'll be the best 50 bucks you'll spend on clear coat durability

·
Registered
2 Posts
This might seem like overkill but, I actually use a 3 bucket wash. That third bucket dedicated to wheels and wheel wells only and have dedicated brushes etc that never touch the paint. Might be something others are doing, but don't often hear it mentioned.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
61 Posts
This might seem like overkill but, I actually use a 3 bucket wash. That third bucket dedicated to wheels and wheel wells only and have dedicated brushes etc that never touch the paint. Might be something others are doing, but don't often hear it mentioned.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
Money. I always use a separate bucket for wheels as well. You are not alone on island overkill !!

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
4,803 Posts
Ah, I forgot to mention the bucket for wheels. Also, the car blade prevents swirl marks

·
Premium Member
2012 RT
15 Posts
I have a 2012 Black RT 6 spd. I use Adams Car Care products. Go online and watch there videos on the use of the products. Great Stuff. Best products I've ever used.
I have had alot of compliments on the shine and finish on my car from other guys with black cars. Trust me Try it!

·
Registered
186 Posts
Ok.....

1. Vaccum it real good..including the trunk. Use an air compressor to get under the seats and all knooks and crannies.

2. Mix up soap and water(lots of soap so no scratches). Wash trunk jam and door jams.
3. Uses a plastic /leather cleaner. Do inside trunk and interior. Get a detail brush and spray and clean vents and around seat levers etc. Use the compressor to blow out vents etc.... wipe down as you go.
4. use a dressing of your choice and dress all plastic and leather.
5. Do inside glass and instrument cluster.
6. Close up the car. Again lots of soap (key to no scratches) rinse car and in wheel wells
7. Wash and rinse car. Shammie dry.
8. Use compressor to blow out anywhere water collects ex. spoiler...rims
9. Dress tires and do outside glass.
10. Wax away

Will look like it just came off the dealer floor.........use to help my friend who owns detail shop:thumbsup: Oh one more thing...Don't forget to open the fuel door and wash in there.

·
Premium Member
31 Posts
Only products I will use are by AMMONYC. Ammo is a small company owned by Larry Kosilla. Larry has tons of detailing videos up on his page on youtube (AMMO NYC) and a podcast where he gives away his free professional advice on detailing. He also has a series on the Drive Chanel on youtube called drive clean. He is super humble and passionate about detailing. He got me hooked and super excited about the art of detailing. I fully endorse his products.

"The idea is simple. Cars are made to be driven. A driver's experience is heightened when he feels a connection with his car. I believe the hands-on ritual of preservation and protection profoundly links driver and car."
-Larry Kosilla
AMMO's mission is to educate, inspire, and protect drivers.

Here are his products and a few of his videos
Paint Regimen:
AMMO Paint Regimen

Wheel Regimen:
AMMO Wheel Regimen

Top ten detailing mistakes:
Basic Car Wash Techniques:

Hope this helps! Good Luck

1 - 16 of 16 Posts