1- flowmaster american thunder kit
2-billet tech catch can
3-homemade front strut brace
4-jet 180 t-stat
5-aem dry filter
6-charger intake tube
7-87mm throttle body
8-diablo sport T-1000

In may i came home w/the a-5 R/T, next day ordered a catch can (which is debated daily, but a no brainer for me),flowmasters= 0% "seat of pants" feel, but a perfect sound IMO w/ all the drone (which doesn't bother me).this was all w/ less than 200 miles. fast forward to 4500 miles... day 1... installed a 180 stat, using the zip lock bag and duct tape trick and lost 6 drops of coolant, torqued housing to spec w/ no leaks, threw in the aem filter, bolted on new TB, attached charger intake,took a drive...=o% "seat of pants feel", that's right 0....day 2...installed t-1000, modified canned 91 tune...thought this was it! im a fast mofo now! about 15% felt gains on "response", and about 20% on torque...ran a couple 5.5 60's, and a couple 14.1's quarters at a 100mph that day, temps in the high 80's...i don't know how to launch these cars, but 14's are pathetic...maybe it was the heat...my best 60 was a 5.3(stock w/ exhaust) at 61 deg, but we all know these timers aren't reliable....day 3... really went threw the tuner, tire size, axle ratio, etc, everything except for spark and fuel was set up....didn't do anything timed, but did run a mile down the freeway(in sport mode, still felt like a dog w/out) and back, and i'll tell ya this is how they should come from the factory...about a 25% in torque and 20% in response !!! maybe my expectations were to high, but its getting there in "seat of pants feel"...probably could put the car on a Dino and see a million HP gain, which would give me a very big head, but i just want to feel the gains(positives.. not the negatives in the wallet...) so lets break down the mods IMO...
1-flow exhaust- great sound, easy install...
2-catch can- must have
3-front brace- wasn't gonna spend 3 bills when i have a welder,steel, and time at home...can slightly feel the stiffness, possibly placebo...
4-180 stat- waste of money and time...
5-aem dry filter-good investment ,no felt gains, K&N w/out the oil, (I personally dispise oil filters)...
6-charger intake- pure under hood aesthetics, fits/looks better, can hear a slight wine now....
7-87mm TB- absolute wast of money... an hour glass is only as fast as its orifice, no matter how much you bevel each side... i thought it had a bigger blade/damper and everything! shame on me for lack of research....
8-T-1000 tuner- worth $250-$350 IMO...gains vs. money-$600 is a complete rip... buy a used one...

that's the way i see it , and i am novice on these cars(may be obvious) any constructive criticism/pointers on tuning would be greatly appreciated!!! might change my opinions on said products....good luck/modding to you all!!!

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
The 180 stat made a big difference for me but I live in Texas and heat soak kills any performance.

Its been shown quite a few times that a TB on a relatively stock car makes no difference. I got the Fastman standard mod and immediately noticed the throttle response but thats it.

The $600 for the Trinity isnt just for the tune and I am glad I have it. It stays on my dash and turns on/off with my car so I never even have to touch it. I have the LED indicator to warn me when I am getting ST or LT knock.

What gas are you running, octane and brand? How much knock are you seeing?

I agree it is more fun to drive in sport mode but I also enjoy putting it in Drive and increasing my gas mileage.

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The 180 stat made a big difference for me but I live in Texas and heat soak kills any performance.

Its been shown quite a few times that a TB on a relatively stock car makes no difference. I got the Fastman standard mod and immediately noticed the throttle response but thats it.

The $600 for the Trinity isnt just for the tune and I am glad I have it. It stays on my dash and turns on/off with my car so I never even have to touch it. I have the LED indicator to warn me when I am getting ST or LT knock.

What gas are you running, octane and brand? How much knock are you seeing?

I agree it is more fun to drive in sport mode but I also enjoy putting it in Drive and increasing my gas mileage.
I'm in AZ , which is probably were the term "heat soak" originated....

I do like the monitoring modes of the trinity...

running 91 0ctane, highest available in my area, and its from circle k, so im assuming its shell...

haven't learned how to use the "knock" monitoring, what would be the benefits??? unless it was fuel caused, then you could search for better fuel I guess...probably wouldn't to far out of my way for that anyway...

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
Well if your in AZ then you should have noticed by now how much stronger your car feels on a 70 degree day compared to a 100+. The lower thermostat, with the adjusted fan settings has greatly reduced that loss for me.

I am not familiar with the in tune but you should be able to add PID's to your log, add ST and LT knock to it and take a drive, do some cruising and some WOT and see what values you are seeing. Here in Dallas Shell gas is horrible, I instantly noticed reduced knock when I started using Chevron.

The benefits for me were increased MPG and power. At 5500 rpm I was seeing 2 degrees of ST knock. I used a little octane booster and it eliminated it and TT dyno showed an 11 hp increase. Its estimated you lose 5 hp for every degree of knock.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts