Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Say you want to change your exaughst for better sound but don't want to lose any torque you want the stock power band. You replace the mufflers delete the resonators using straight pipe. RTs have 2.25 inch pipe going from muffler to resonators. Is it best to use this diameter straight pipe? Is it better then 2.5 for exaughst scavenging and velocity? A lot of after market systems use 2.25 and some use 2.5. What's better for torque?

I care more about torque and I don't plan on modding past a cai and exaughst. A tune possibly down the road when warranty is up.

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
Say you want to change your exaughst for better sound but don't want to lose any torque you want the stock power band. You replace the mufflers delete the resonators using straight pipe. RTs have 2.25 inch pipe going from muffler to resonators. Is it best to use this diameter straight pipe? Is it better then 2.5 for exaughst scavenging and velocity? A lot of after market systems use 2.25 and some use 2.5. What's better for torque?

I care more about torque and I don't plan on modding past a cai and exaughst. A tune possibly down the road when warranty is up.
The bigger the better for breathing.Scavenging only happens with headers.Any lose of power is strictly because of not tuning for the less restrictive exhaust.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
From what I've gatherd exaughst velocity increases smaller diameter pipe. 2.25 is suited best for the 5.7 2.5 if you plan on adding cam headers etc.

·
Registered
255 Posts
The 2.25 system on the old R/T autos choked them a bit, IMO. Why did they put the 2.5 system on the manual car if 2.25 is "suited best" for the 5.7s? For the power level those cars make, they should have 2.5 systems at least.

I would say, put a whole new 2.5 system on your car. But, you don't want to do that since you have already started this.. it seems anyway. In that case, stick with 2.25 all the way back. It would not make much sense to go 2.5 where the resonators were and then choke it down to 2.25 at the back where the mufflers are. Just doesn't seem like that set up would work well together. Whichever way you were to go, stick with one size.

There would be very little noticeable difference in low end torque between either set up. I don't have any numbers, but I feel the 2.5 would breath better and help low end torque a little. Either way, it would be pretty minimal.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts