Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First is the car battery dying over night due to apparently failing door latches (generally at 50k miles it seems which my car is at). Does anybody know this part#?

Second is the stereo will quite playing audio (goes mute) after 1 hour of driving...only a stop amd start fixes it.

I bought as is from local dealer and not sure of recourse...a bit miffed as this was pre existing and I'm 100% sure they had tocharge battery before showings...should've raised questions.

The dealer has offered a "hi tech" warranty for $3850...3 years or 36k miles. I don't drive much so I'd have 3 years of coverage most likely.

Is this advisable or would you guys suggest getting an apparently far cheaper 3rd party after market warranty?

Spending 25k I kinda hoped to have a vehicle that started each morning!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah...I even got the spiel after telling him of prior 2 purchases of used cars failing block test and he said they can't pull that stuff in a small town as a reputable dealer. Well...I just drove off in a car which dies every morning!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I can see the windows going up and down every few minutes even without keyfob or mobile nearby...battery may be dead or bad at this point but I believe it's the door sensors that are the culprit. This problem supposed to happen at 50k mi which is roughly what I'm at.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Carcomplaints dot com website showed 25 issues spanning 8 categories. Most were misfiled as 21 of 25 were the auto window failure resulting in dead battery. Most folks said at 50k with one reporting it at 80k miles.

·
Registered
2019 Sublime Shaker, 2010 Plum Crazy R/T Classic, 2010 Detonator Yellow R/T Classic
2,035 Posts
I can see the windows going up and down every few minutes even without keyfob or mobile nearby...battery may be dead or bad at this point but I believe it's the door sensors that are the culprit. This problem supposed to happen at 50k mi which is roughly what I'm at.
Hey man, I have owned 14 Challengers, some had more miles than you and I can tell you, I never heard of an issue after 50K anything.
Now, there was a recall "M24" (smartglass switch) for 2011-2012 Challengers that caused a similar issue as you describe. Perhaps related?

·
Premium Member
147 Posts
First is the car battery dying over night due to apparently failing door latches (generally at 50k miles it seems which my car is at). Does anybody know this part#?

Second is the stereo will quite playing audio (goes mute) after 1 hour of driving...only a stop amd start fixes it.

I bought as is from local dealer and not sure of recourse...a bit miffed as this was pre existing and I'm 100% sure they had tocharge battery before showings...should've raised questions.

The dealer has offered a "hi tech" warranty for $3850...3 years or 36k miles. I don't drive much so I'd have 3 years of coverage most likely.

Is this advisable or would you guys suggest getting an apparently far cheaper 3rd party after market warranty?

I had a 2013 300C with a 5.7 Hemi. I bought in 2018, it had a recall done on its alternator. Did this recall also effect the challenger’s too?

I had my battery go dead, dealer worked on it, replaced the battery and intelligent battery monitor, a week later it died again and they replaced the alternator, when they tried to charge me I told them it was less then a year old, got a freebie. Battery died again about 3 weeks later.

Had it towed to another dealership (was on a road trip in another state). The mechanic brought me to his bay and showed me the culprit of all my problems, it was a corroded wire connection in the back of the alternator that went to the ECU.

That could be your problem and save you a ton of repair bills.

·
Registered
2011 SXT Built in the Canada Plant
2,324 Posts
Check your Vin for Recalls if any get them fixed at No Cost ...

·
Registered
2019 Challenger R/T Scat Pack 1320
115 Posts

Im one of those people that feels most used car lots are filled with con artist and any dealer that isn't GIVING (for free) a 30 day warranty is clearly shakey... (it aint like you bought a $3,000 car).
But it is what it is and its yours so to answer your question "NO" DO NOT PAY HIM 4K MORE, (its sad to think what you could have bought for 30K), sadder to think what he would sell you for 4K.

Put a battery in it, do some research on the radio, maybe its a thing and you can find a fix. WELCOME & CONGRATS
Hows the Challenger otherwise ? Post a Pic or two

·
Registered
16,216 Posts
When you buy an older car you have to be somewhat mechanical and be able to fix things, either that or have a high budget for dealer services. And if you bought the car as is, then that's it, it's your car now.

Either way, there is not a chance in hell I would buy any warranty now at any price. Once a car gets old, these warranty companies never pay like they should, they will just say it wore out and we don't pay for normal wear and tear. Such a rip off.

I think you're stuck. Find a local mechanic that you trust and stay far away from that dealership you bought the car from and don't even think about buying that "warranty".

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
26,719 Posts
This was a used car dealer?

Don't buy either of the warranties they offered you. Contact one of our vendors here

And get pricing on factory warranties

A Guy

Reactions: Loopy

·
Registered
2010 R/T Classic 6M
1,280 Posts
My 2010 had the stupid "smart glass" problem early last year. It happens when the electronics in the latch get corroded. That is what's killing your battery. I just replaced my battery the other day with an 800CCA walmart battery and WOW what a difference. I've never heard my car start up so fast and easily

·
Registered
195 Posts
That was total out the door. Car bought as is...
If you bought the car "As Is" then you are lucky the dealer is even talking to you. "As Is" is a very powerful legal term. Selling an item "As Is" absolves the seller of any and all responsibility to repair any defect known or unknown and they also don't have to disclose any known defects in most instances, except recalls (NOT TSB's) of course as they are federally mandated safety issues.

As-Is should have the same meaning to everyone as "buyer beware". This doesn't mean that all cars sold "As-Is" are junk, many car lots list cars older than 5 to 10 years old As-Is just for the sheer fact that they don't want to be responsible for repairs that may be fairly common for certain models after they get a few years or miles on them that they may have missed upon their pre-listing inspection.

There may be nothing wrong with the car, the dealer is just covering their butt. In other instances they may know that the car is iffy or they don't like the available maintenance history so they sell it as-is because they know it's going to likely crap the bed soon.

If I am looking at a car and it is being sold As-Is I'm going to put it on a lift with a mechanic I trust and go over it with a far more detailed inspection than I would with a new or newer model vehicle with remaining factory warranty. And if I buy that car I'm going to make sure that I have a few grand in the bank to pay for repairs in case the "As Is" was there for a reason.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Should've had the car inspected by an independent third party before you bought it. Did you do any research on the dealership before you purchased it? As/is lets them off the hook.

·
Registered
2010 R/T Classic 6M
1,280 Posts
Everyone in here is over exaggerating the problems with the car. They are easy fixes and will cost you less than $200. That's what comes with buying a used car. The door latch for the window problem takes a whole 15 minutes to replace. This will fix your battery problems, unless ofc, the battery is now dead dead from running out of juice multiple times. In that case get a new battery, again another $150 and 10 minutes. Not sure why the radio turns off after an hour but it doesn't sound like it would be a major fix.

Reactions: JesseRT and Kinbote
1 - 19 of 19 Posts