Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I hope i dont sound too dumb, but i notice a battery next to the spare tire,what is this use for and what about the battery next to the engine? I have a 2013 sxt, thank you for any info...

·
Registered
4,434 Posts
If you're dumb, there's two of us, then because this fooled me once too. :icon_lol: What's under your hood is a fuse box (open it). The battery terminals are placed there (well, a positive anyway, because for the negative you have to find a ground) for ease of access when jump starting others. But the one battery is in your trunk by your spare.

·
Registered
601 Posts
Anybody know the reason for this. Are all dodges like this now? Do other car manufactures to this? I know it confused the hell out of me when I was shopping and looking at the challengers. When I was looking at cars, I first though the car had the upgraded sound system when I saw the on in the trunk. After the 2nd or 3rd car and realizing the sticker didn't say it had the HK system I thought "wow the hemi requires 2 batteries to turn over?" Then it wasnt until I read about the #2 fuse pull here that I realized it was a fuse box in the engine bay.

·
Registered
81 Posts
The battery is put in the rear to get closer to a 50/50 front/rear weight distribution. Many vehicles are like this these days.

·
Registered
4,434 Posts
Plus in the trunk it's much lower too.

·
Registered
2019 Sublime Shaker and 2010 Detonator Yellow R/T Classic
1,880 Posts
The real reason they put the battery in the trunk (according to a Senior Chrysler Field Branch Manager) was to get it away from the heat, plus they are vented now, just made more sense. A bunch of car companies are now putting the batteries in the trunk.

·
Registered
14,272 Posts
The battery is put in the rear to get closer to a 50/50 front/rear weight distribution. s.
When I was messing around with Firebirds one vendor had a kit to relocate your battery to the trunk,
they said it was the equivalent of moving your engine back 10 inches.

·
Super Moderator
13,849 Posts
If you're dumb, there's two of us, then because this fooled me once too. :icon_lol: What's under your hood is a fuse box (open it). The battery terminals are placed there (well, a positive anyway, because for the negative you have to find a ground) for ease of access when jump starting others. But the one battery is in your trunk by your spare.
The owner's manual states to clip the negative jumper cable to the bolt, with the ground wire attached, that is located on the right (passenger side) shock tower (behind the fuse box).

·
Registered
295 Posts
I was scratching my head the first spring when I had to charge the battery. Looking in the engine compartment and going huh.

As for relocating, I had Fiero based Ferrari 308 replica with a 350 Chevy in the back. I had a kit that relocated the battery to the front. Was supposed to help with weight distribution. Plus there was nowhere in the back to put it with that V8 in there.

·
Premium Member
4,364 Posts
I have heard more and more are putting them in the trunk. It makes sense with all of the heat under the hood to put them in the trunk. A minivan I had once the battery cracked and I was told that the heat plays a big roll in destroying a battery.

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
You will also notice that the Challenger brake calipers have been set up for weight balance also. The front calipers are to the rear of the wheel and the rear calipers are forward. The calipers are heavy too.

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
Yup lots of people think cold is bad for a battery but heat is the real enemy. Cold just exposes a weak battery. The batteries manufactured for the south are better then the ones made for the north. I read that in consumer's report when shopping for a battery for our van. The problem is you have to be down south to get one. So next time you vacation in FLA, pick one up!

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

1 - 14 of 14 Posts