Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
2 Piece VS 1 Piece DDS drive shafts

What drive shaft would be better for street use and also very reliable for 600-700HP (May see strip 5-10 times a year)

Also what DDS axles should I get with that with that?

Car: 2010 SRT8 Manual ( lot of mods coming soon )

·
Registered
221 Posts
Put the DSS 1400 hp half shafts on mine and the 2 piece chromemoly driveshaft no issues on the street same as factory just bulletproof

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Put the DSS 1400 hp half shafts on mine and the 2 piece chromemoly driveshaft no issues on the street same as factory just bulletproof
Thanks for your reply man, I was thinking of going with the 1 piece but not really sure because I havent really seen any reviews between the two. I would love to hear if anyone else has any expience or info.

·
Registered
421 Posts
I do not have one but I have read that the one piece drive shaft will transfer a lot more noise into the cabin.

·
Registered
2,463 Posts
I believe you meant DSS, one piece Aluminum lighter and many folks running them also check out Gforce they make a 3.5" and 4" but if you go 4" you can NOT use a Petty's DS loop, so it's a good idea to know which DS you plan on running before buying a loop. They (Gforce) also make the rear axles for Getrag which I may end up going with, choices are good! :D

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I believe you meant DSS, one piece Aluminum lighter and many folks running them also check out Gforce they make a 3.5" and 4" but if you go 4" you can NOT use a Petty's DS loop, so it's a good idea to know which DS you plan on running before buying a loop. They (Gforce) also make the rear axles for Getrag which I may end up going with, choices are good!
Oops, yes I meant DSS! I have read a couple reviews on both of them and heard nothing but good stuff from DSS so I think im just going to stick with them.

·
Registered
421 Posts
Do you know if its anything crazy loud or unbearable? Or if its still worth it? Haha
From what I have read it is like using the hurst short throw. Some people it does not bother, and some it drives them crazy. It is all up to what you want, I got rid of my hurst because of the noise.

·
Administrator
2009 Challenger R/T
8,919 Posts
I'm in your HP Range also I went with the 2 pc DSS no issues I have had it for the past 4 years, I have gone through more sets of half shafts in this M6 car than most owners... The current set of DSS 1400 axles are holding up just fine (my 5th set) all damage was done at the track running DR's... if these go south I will change up and go with the G-Force. I haven't been on the track for the past 2 years and will be turning the KB loose this season along with slicks and runners.

I have driven cross country with the 2pc and road course no issues and hitting some high top speeds my choice all along was the 2pc for the versatility and I use the Petty's trans support with drive shaft loop. I have also upgraded the differential with the extra clutch packs. I am still using the Hurst Shifter with Larry's Mod the only part of my drivetrain that is stock is the Tremec 6060 everything else has been upgraded bell housing, RAM Clutch (since 2010) Have fun and hopefully this helps. :guiness:

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'm in your HP Range also I went with the 2 pc DSS no issues I have had it for the past 4 years, I have gone through more sets of half shafts in this M6 car than most owners... The current set of DSS 1400 axles are holding up just fine (my 5th set) all damage was done at the track running DR's... if these go south I will change up and go with the G-Force. I haven't been on the track for the past 2 years and will be turning the KB loose this season along with slicks and runners.

I have driven cross country with the 2pc and road course no issues and hitting some high top speeds my choice all along was the 2pc for the versatility and I use the Petty's trans support with drive shaft loop. I have also upgraded the differential with the extra clutch packs. I am still using the Hurst Shifter with Larry's Mod the only part of my drivetrain that is stock is the Tremec 6060 everything else has been upgraded bell housing, RAM Clutch (since 2010) Have fun and hopefully this helps.
Thanks man! Do you know if there is any advantages with going 1 piece compaired to the 2 piece? What is most popular?

·
Premium Member
2009 Dodge Challenger
657 Posts
Not to highjack but I m in the same boat.

I have searched high and low for a 2pc DSS shaft to fit my 09' Auto Challenger R/T (non-getrag) but I cant find any of their models that will fit. Everything it for SRT manual or auto, R/T in all the years but mine, R/T in getrag. What gives?

I don't have a preference to 1 or 2 pc but when I was reading about noise.. kinda concerned me. How much noise are we talking?

I am sooooo lost and I am ready to buy 1 any day if I can figure out which one will fit.

·
Administrator
2009 Challenger R/T
8,919 Posts
Thanks man! Do you know if there is any advantages with going 1 piece compared to the 2 piece? What is most popular?
I think the most popular is the 2pc from what I can tell. But if your going for drag strip performance the 1pc is the way to go. I went with the 2pc as I wanted the smother ride ride and I didn't want to mess with having to change the angle of the drive-shaft as some of the other forum members have had to do. Flat Top could explain what I'm talking about better.

·
Administrator
2009 Challenger R/T
8,919 Posts
Not to highjack but I m in the same boat.

I have searched high and low for a 2pc DSS shaft to fit my 09' Auto Challenger R/T (non-getrag) but I cant find any of their models that will fit. Everything it for SRT manual or auto, R/T in all the years but mine, R/T in getrag. What gives?

I don't have a preference to 1 or 2 pc but when I was reading about noise.. kinda concerned me. How much noise are we talking?

I am sooooo lost and I am ready to buy 1 any day if I can figure out which one will fit.
I would place a phone call to the shop of your choice and talk with them as you shouldn't be having any issues if you speak with Frank from DSS tell him I said hello :guiness:

Reactions: ChrisNTN

·
Registered
2,463 Posts
R/T is the stepchild and found no drive shafts for autos, you could upgrade to Getrag or 9". I'm leaning towards Gforce for my axles/drive shaft heavier right side axle, and no CV joint on the DS makes me lean that way, even so they are not listed for my R/T because I will have to alter/clearance my park brake cable mount (a differance between SRT and R/T), tiny PITA for a customizer. ;)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts