Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For those of you that are running 20" drag radials at the track what are your times ?. I went to MIR today (Maryland Int. Raceway) and I couldn't get much going. My best pass was 12.4, I know she's got more in her. I ran 12.089 a few months back at the same track with (better air). I was using 275/35R17s BFG G-Force drag radials that were about shot. I used brand new Mickey Thompson E.T Street Drag Radials 305/35R20s and it seemed like no matter what RPM I launched at it wouldnt get a good 60FT My best was 1.88. So I'm not sure whats going on :scratchhead:

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Nitto NT555Rs 275/40/20. I ran at Capitol Raceway in Crofton, MD Friday nite and was between 1.77 to 1.73 60 fts.

I run them at 25lbs.
I ran mine at 20lbs I wonder if that affected them ? What RPMs did you launch at ?

·
Premium Member
68 Posts
How cold was it? and were they spraying the track? were other people hooking up? That should be plenty of tire to hook up a heavy car. cold air = more power and less traction and its easier to break parts

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
How cold was it? and were they spraying the track? were other people hooking up? That should be plenty of tire to hook up a heavy car. cold air = more power and less traction and its easier to break parts
Yes the track prep was very good about every 30 mins they would stop and brush the track and spray it then drag it other people were hooking up pretty good . I don't understand it, the air temp early was about mid 40's to low 50's and by afternoon its was in the mid 60's

·
Registered
101 Posts
I ran mine at 20lbs I wonder if that affected them ? What RPMs did you launch at ?
I launch at 1100-1200rpm. The air will definantly have some effect on they way the car leaves. I had been trying to find the optimal launch RPM with me new tune. Friday was a great -DA conditions day. On plus DA days the car launches lazy and my 60fts average 1.78 to 1.81 on those days I run as much as 30lbs in my DRs and it helps still running 12.0s. One thing about the tune I have now is making sure I have good 93 octane gas usually Exxon or Shell although I've been 12.0s with BJs 93oct.

My rule of thumb with DRs is run as much air as you can while still hooking. Kinda goes against what everyone else will tell you. But I used to drag race motorcycles for almost 20 years and raced street tire classes with bikes that were long and a few bikes that made 400RWHP.

Next time you goto MIR let me know I will come out also. Would be great to have atleast two Hemi's represent.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I launch at 1100-1200rpm. The air will definantly have some effect on they way the car leaves. I had been trying to find the optimal launch RPM with me new tune. Friday was a great -DA conditions day. On plus DA days the car launches lazy and my 60fts average 1.78 to 1.81 on those days I run as much as 30lbs in my DRs and it helps still running 12.0s. One thing about the tune I have now is making sure I have good 93 octane gas usually Exxon or Shell although I've been 12.0s with BJs 93oct.

My rule of thumb with DRs is run as much air as you can while still hooking. Kinda goes against what everyone else will tell you. But I used to drag race motorcycles for almost 20 years and raced street tire classes with bikes that were long and a few bikes that made 400RWHP.

Next time you goto MIR let me know I will come out also. Would be great to have atleast two Hemi's represent.
I try to run the best 93 I can get also there is a place around my town that sells ethanol free gas and thats what my was tuned on at Arrington and what I always run on. I was launching around the same Rpms and it acted lazy out off the hole but picked up down the track I think even one of my passes my mph was 113 . I'll definitely let you know next time I go its lonley when your the only Mopar at the track lol

·
Premium Member
68 Posts
Yes the track prep was very good about every 30 mins they would stop and brush the track and spray it then drag it other people were hooking up pretty good . I don't understand it, the air temp early was about mid 40's to low 50's and by afternoon its was in the mid 60's
I'm not all that up to speed with the drag radials but regular slicks at low pressure will hook up a lot better on the cold track

·
Registered
101 Posts
I'm not all that up to speed with the drag radials but regular slicks at low pressure will hook up a lot better on the cold track
There is a such thing as too much traction causing the bog. You can get around that easily in a manual car higher rpm Launch. But autos can run more air tire pressure.

·
Registered
313 Posts
I assume you had 275/40r17 BFG drag radials which are 25.7 in diameter. The mickey's you are now using are 28.9 in daiameter. The smaller diameter is like adding digger gears. The car isn't leaving as hard with the taller tires. I bet your crossing the finish at a lower rmp as well.
In my firebird 3.73 gears and a 26" diameter tire is the same as having 4.11 gears and a 27" diameter tire.

·
Registered
101 Posts
I assume you had 275/40r17 BFG drag radials which are 25.7 in diameter. The mickey's you are now using are 28.9 in daiameter. The smaller diameter is like adding digger gears. The car isn't leaving as hard with the taller tires. I bet your crossing the finish at a lower rmp as well.
In my firebird 3.73 gears and a 26" diameter tire is the same as having 4.11 gears and a 27" diameter tire.
Excellent point. I need to try the 26" setup.

·
Registered
http://www.dragtimes
1,899 Posts
Kazman is right on. I use 275/40/17 M&Hs (26") and get my best 60' and overall ET as I'm getting the gearing benefit.
I also run 275/50/17 M&Hs (28") and my 60' times are .1 slower but my over all ETs are .25 slower because of the lack of gearing benefit.

My car is right on the edge where the 275/40/17s slip too much and my 60' varies a little too much for bracket racing so I run the 275/50/17s for the bracket races and the 275/40s for heads up racing.

·
Premium Member
09 RT Challenger auto
3,467 Posts
I always wanted to try the 26in slicks. Don't think it will work out now. With the stroke motor it comes across at 6300 now. The 26 might be a bit to much. I have a best 60ft of 1:50 and average 1:54 and MPH is at 127 so the 28in tires help some there. I want to spray also and the 26 might really hurt and run out before the stripe.
Hate to spend the coin if they don't work.
FT

·
Premium Member
68 Posts
Sorry wish I could help you but I'm sure someone will get on board. I just replaced the Goodyears with some Michelin's and found a lot more traction

·
Registered
2012 challenger srt
1,951 Posts
New 14 Challenger R/T 6 speed. Wanting to know what kind of cheap wheel to get and drag radial that would work best for my setup. Bone stock 5.7 6 speed 3.92 gear.
I am running 17 inch cobra replicas with MT 275/40/R17. I am running 12.3 at 114.66 MPH in the 1/4 mile all stock except the DRs

·
Registered
2016 Scat Pack Shaker
86 Posts
I am running 17 inch cobra replicas with MT 275/40/R17. I am running 12.3 at 114.66 MPH in the 1/4 mile all stock except the DRs
OK cool, thanks for the reply.
I'm guessing you have an SRT with those kinda et's.
Where did you buy the rims & drag radials?
How much?
What is the height on the tires (or roll out)
Wanting to put an inexpensive rim on for the DR's & I'll just trailer it to the track, don't care if they don't match the fronts. Been pricing the stock 20's rims & they are expensive just to throw a couple DR on 3 or 4 times a year.
Thanks for the reply,.

·
Registered
1,899 Posts
Results for 10080 - AmericanMuscle.com

P/N 10080. $129 ea. and they are light and tough.

Hone the centers out to 73.5mm and you're good to go.

275/40/17 M&Hs are 26" tall
275/50/17 M&Hs are 18" tall

You get a gearing benefit with the 275/40s which helps you all the way down the track. Makes an A5 about a 3.20:1 ratio istead of the 3.06

·
Registered
2012 challenger srt
1,951 Posts
OK cool, thanks for the reply.
I'm guessing you have an SRT with those kinda et's.
Where did you buy the rims & drag radials?
How much?
What is the height on the tires (or roll out)
Wanting to put an inexpensive rim on for the DR's & I'll just trailer it to the track, don't care if they don't match the fronts. Been pricing the stock 20's rims & they are expensive just to throw a couple DR on 3 or 4 times a year.
Thanks for the reply,.
KJ392 gave you all the information in post 18. Hes right on the money. I have to turn my traction control off or it will interfere with my run. The first time I went down I left the line like a rocket and about half way down the track the traction control garbed my ass and slowed me right down. That run was a 13.7. Next run traction control full off. 12.3. I got the rims and tires as a package from another member who races with the club I belong to.

·
Registered
1,899 Posts
FT

I always wanted to try the 26in slicks. Don't think it will work out now. With the stroke motor it comes across at 6300 now. The 26 might be a bit to much. I have a best 60ft of 1:50 and average 1:54 and MPH is at 127 so the 28in tires help some there. I want to spray also and the 26 might really hurt and run out before the stripe.
Hate to spend the coin if they don't work.
FT
I think your 26" DR days were over a couple of hundred horses ago :)

On my car and another R/T with a 393 stroker, 430 RWHP is about as stout as you can go and still hook 90% of the time with the 26" DRs. Hot greasey days and cool (45 degree) nights are the hardest to stick. My car doesn't have the nuts or coverter to get sub 1.75 60' with 26". 1.8 60' on the 28" DRs is all I can muster.
Still trying to prove out which is faster, power braking to 2200 and nailing it (ECU pulls timing) or 1100 out of the hole and hammering it (less initial RPM but no timing pulled). Hard to determine it in my 60' times but my 1/8th MPH are 1 MPH faster when I stall it over 2K (89 MPH vs 90 MPH) but my 1/4 MPHs are the same.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts