Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
South Carolina DMV and State Farm issued a 'non-buildable' title which leaves us unable to register the Bee. Car was purchased back as salvage and DMV mis-informed that the car could be registered. All electrical traced down and replaced; no engine damage from flood exposure; Was immediately de-humidified and dried out from water. Car runs great. Unable to register in SC due to "non-rebuildable" title. Any ideas of who would want vehicle. The salvage price and new brakes, new rims, and restoration work is slightly under $10K. Going to junk yard if we can't find a way to re-title so it can be registered. Any ideas?

Heart broken. Less than 40K miles on this pristine vehicle.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
24 Posts
Well if worse comes to worse make it a race car or sell it to someone for that use ! heck you would get more money out of it for parts then a junk yard will give you for it . have you contacted the state to see if there is someway of getting the title reinstated for it ?? Don't give up on it the cars to nice !

·
Registered
723 Posts
Always get a car registered first, before doing any work on it. Your story has been told by many, just different cars and different names.

·
Registered
4,347 Posts
find one that has a rebuildable title (from an accident), verify it first and use all the parts from this one to fix it or if you are feeling lucky, rebody it. Find a car to put that drive train in, old duster, dart or demon would be cool. Could make a track car out of it for off road use only.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Always get a car registered first, before doing any work on it. Your story has been told by many, just different cars and different names.
Can you normally do this? In the state of Ohio (correct me if I'm wrong) an auto with a salvage title cannot be registered until after it's been fixed and inspected by the State Highway Patrol Inspector. Most of the inspection is just to ensure the parts were obtained legally and they do a once over to make sure it's road worthy.

·
Registered
4,347 Posts
Can you normally do this? In the state of Ohio (correct me if I'm wrong) an auto with a salvage title cannot be registered until after it's been fixed and inspected by the State Highway Patrol Inspector. Most of the inspection is just to ensure the parts were obtained legally and they do a once over to make sure it's road worthy.
If a car gets a "Red Title" in another state it can NEVER be registered in Ohio.

·
Premium Member
515 Posts
As others have said, unfortunately, your only choices are try and sell it as a complete race car that cant be titled, or part it out and then scrap the rest. It is very sad that they do this but because of unsavory and dishonest people laws have been put into place to protect the gullible.

If I was looking for a race car that would be a great one, that chassis/engine combo makes a great drag car!!

Good luck on what ever you guys decide.
-Kenny

·
Registered
213 Posts
If a car gets a "Red Title" in another state it can NEVER be registered in Ohio.
In some cases this may be true, but not all. I've personally purchased a salvage title car (albeit 5 years ago) from Indiana, fixed it, had it inspected, and then got it registered. Unless something has changed recently?

·
Registered
4,347 Posts
In some cases this may be true, but not all. I've personally purchased a salvage title car (albeit 5 years ago) from Indiana, fixed it, had it inspected, and then got it registered. Unless something has changed recently?
the V.P. of the company I work for bought a flooded van, low mileage off Ebay, had it shipped here found out after Ohio would not let him title it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Race

Well if worse comes to worse make it a race car or sell it to someone for that use ! heck you would get more money out of it for parts then a junk yard will give you for it . have you contacted the state to see if there is someway of getting the title reinstated for it ?? Don't give up on it the cars to nice !

I think I will try to sell it via that racingjunk.com Have reached out to a few people to see if they know anyone looking for a racing car, or anyone who wants a project or knows how to work the DMV system for their state. Unfortunately we don't work on cars (just pay to have them worked on!) Now just trying to get back as much of my money as I put into it. And help the hubby recover from the loss of his "sweet baby". ha ha

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

Even if you call the DMV, get the name and employee ID of the person who told you that you can register a salvage non-rebuildable...get that title registered first. DMV told me I could get it registered, and State Farm played me for the fool I was. Expensive lesson.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
About this Discussion
10 Replies
6 Participants
SuperBee2007
Dodge Challenger Forum
Challenger Talk, the online forum for discussions, reviews of Dodge Challenger, and all things SRT, Hellcat, and Demon.
Full Forum Listing