Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Super Moderator
13,334 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
About 500,000 Challengers have been built in the past 11 years. But, how many original 2008-2009 Challenger SRTs do you see on the road?

When I drive my Hemi-orange 2009 SRT, I never see these early models. I think there are three reasons for this.

1. They are relatively rare- only 16,842 were built (7,262- 2008 and 9,580- 2009).
2. Some are "garage queens."
3. A few high mileage cars are now off the road.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
About the only one I see, other than at the big annual Mopar show I attend each June, is mine. It is my fair-weather commuter of choice and I am about to hit 78,000 miles.

I see quite a few 6 cylinder cars and R/Ts. Mostly with new tail lights. Oh, and a couple Hellcats.

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
Still hanging on to mine. Original owner silver 6-speed SRT8. Would be cool to upgrade to a Hellcat, but I still love the old girl, and not really sure I want to trade this one in & spend another $35k-40k....

·
Super Moderator
14,408 Posts
The relatively small number of the '08 - '10s - looking back

7,262 - 2008
9,580 - 2009
9,944 - 2010

those are the higher years for SRT8 or SRT 392 models - only the '15 / '16 Hellcats in those years match or exceed what was the highest production quantities.

Anymore now, I see 4:1 ratio of '15+ models vs. the '08 - '14 style.

Even then, its predominately the '11+ body style (the keyless go door handles are the quick way to spot)

Some might be garage queens, strip / show cars or no longer on the road

·
Registered
9 Posts
The relatively small number of the '08 - '10s - looking back

7,262 - 2008
9,580 - 2009
9,944 - 2010

those are the higher years for SRT8 or SRT 392 models - only the '15 / '16 Hellcats in those years match or exceed what was the highest production quantities.

Anymore now, I see 4:1 ratio of '15+ models vs. the '08 - '14 style.

Even then, its predominately the '11+ body style (the keyless go door handles are the quick way to spot)

Some might be garage queens, strip / show cars or no longer on the road
You're tellin' me that I have a car that they made less than 10k of!? Wow, this thing could be worth some big $$$ one day!

·
Super Moderator
14,408 Posts
You're tellin' me that I have a car that they made less than 10k of!? Wow, this thing could be worth some big $$$ one day!
the thing is, the newer ones are so similar and frankly had improvements over the earlier years (more power, improved suspension) that its a tough argument on collector value.

There recently was a '08 SRT8 that went up for sale for the original price it sold for with 7 miles on it.

Its not like the '08s were the final and best year (like the last run of Buick GNX models, as an example) of a discontinued model.

·
Premium Member
246 Posts
I have a fairly rare 1998 Ducati 748 SPS. They almost never come up for sale. A base 748 is very hard to find these days. The original production numbers were low. The bike is in excellent condition with full service history (a must for a Ducati). It has been upgraded in several areas, however, I retained all the OEM parts. I have full set of extra plastics, wheels and exhaust. The clocks sit at 13K miles. The bike’s value is still only 50% of what I bought it new for. A vehicle is only worth what someone will pay for it. Of course I will never sell the bike. It is priceless to me. I plan to be buried in the gas tank!

·
Registered
9 Posts
the thing is, the newer ones are so similar and frankly had improvements over the earlier years (more power, improved suspension) that its a tough argument on collector value.

There recently was a '08 SRT8 that went up for sale for the original price it sold for with 7 miles on it.

Its not like the '08s were the final and best year (like the last run of Buick GNX models, as an example) of a discontinued model.
Yeah, but maybe 30 years from now they'll be collector items. But I'm not planning on ever getting rid of it anyway.

·
Super Moderator
13,334 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yeah, but maybe 30 years from now they'll be collector items. But I'm not planning on ever getting rid of it anyway.
I'm with you. My 2009 SRT will never be sold.

It's funny that I periodically receive offers, in the mail, from my local Dodge dealer to buy my low-mileage car for around $20k. I just laugh and throw them in the trash.

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
I'm with you. My 2009 SRT will never be sold.

It's funny that I periodically receive offers, in the mail, from my local Dodge dealer to buy my low-mileage SRT for around $20k. I just laugh and throw them in the trash.
Lmao, yeah, I recently talked to a dealer about a used Hellcat. They offered me $17-20k(over the phone) for my 7k mile SRT8 on trade. I politely said no & once again, decided to keep it. :)

·
Premium Member
246 Posts
Lmao, yeah, I recently talked to a dealer about a used Hellcat. They offered me $17-20k(over the phone) for my 7k mile SRT8 on trade. I politely said no & once again, decided to keep it. :)
I just don’t think a new car would really bring any more joy than my 2010. I get they have some nice upgrades and more HP, I just don’t think the grin factor would increase. Just the cost-per-grin would increase.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I just don’t think a new car would really bring any more joy than my 2010. I get they have some nice upgrades and more HP, I just don’t think the grin factor would increase. Just the cost-per-grin would increase.[/QUOTE]

I agree yellowduc. I enjoy my 2010 immensely. I don't think a newer model would make me happier.

·
Super Moderator
13,334 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I just don’t think a new car would really bring any more joy than my 2010. I get they have some nice upgrades and more HP, I just don’t think the grin factor would increase. Just the cost-per-grin would increase.
Unless you drag race or autocross your SRT, the increased power of the newer models is all relative. You can't use it on the street without getting into trouble.

·
Premium Member
246 Posts
Unless you drag race or autocross your SRT, the increased power of the newer models is all relative. You can't use it on the street without getting into trouble.
I agree. The HP on the SRT8 is plenty to get me in trouble as it is. Heck, the 107 hp on my 21 year old motorcycle is enough to put me in jail.

·
Premium Member
1,548 Posts
2008/0552

Had my 08 for 10 years, 40,000 on the clock. Test drove a 2017 T/A. I felt it was time to upgrade. Sold the 08 for $30,500.

Now I have electric tilt steering wheel/ 8.4 Nav touch screen in a dashboard that is designed for the driver, Courtesy lights in door panels and headliner, Air catcher headlamps, Active exhaust, Ram air hood w/Mopar CAI, LED rear tail lights, backup camera w/sensor alert, Drivers seat that allows back seat passengers to enter, Spare tire, Illuminated cup holders, rear trunk lid insulation panel and a host of other upgrades that makes owning another Challenger just that much more enjoyable.

PLUS I still get that iconic Challenger E body design. Fellows I get it...change is not for everyone, It was hard for me too.

·
Premium Member
246 Posts
Had my 08 for 10 years, 40.000 on the clock. Test drove a 2017 T/A. I felt it was time to upgrade. Sold the 08 for $30.500.
Now I have electric tilt steering wheel/ 8.4 Nav touch screen in a dashboard that is designed for the driver, Courtesy lites in door panels and headliner, Air catcher headlamps, Active exhaust, Ram air hood w/Mopar CAI,
LED rear tail lites, Backup camera w/sensor alert, Drivers seat that allows back seat passengers to enter, Spare tire,
Illuminated cup holders, rear trunk lid insulation panel and a host of other upgrades that makes owning another Challenger just that much more enjoyable.
PLUS I still get that iconic Challenger E body design.
Fellows I get it...change is not for everyone, It was hard for me too.
If you know someone who will buy my 2010 for $30,500, I will upgrade this week!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Had my 08 for 10 years, 40.000 on the clock. Test drove a 2017 T/A. I felt it was time to upgrade. Sold the 08 for $30.500.
Now I have electric tilt steering wheel/ 8.4 Nav touch screen in a dashboard that is designed for the driver, Courtesy lites in door panels and headliner, Air catcher headlamps, Active exhaust, Ram air hood w/Mopar CAI,
LED rear tail lites, Backup camera w/sensor alert, Drivers seat that allows back seat passengers to enter, Spare tire,
Illuminated cup holders, rear trunk lid insulation panel and a host of other upgrades that makes owning another Challenger just that much more enjoyable.
PLUS I still get that iconic Challenger E body design.
Fellows I get it...change is not for everyone, It was hard for me too.
If you know someone who will buy my 2010 for $30,500, I will upgrade this week!
Yeah, I'll sell for 30,000! lol

·
Registered
164 Posts
Haha, $30,500 for an 08 with 40,000 miles ??
Mine is a garage queen...
I would be happy with a solid $25,500 for my Challenger with 20,300 miles. Bueller, Bueller, Bueller. Just installed brand new Good Year tires. I’ll even throw in some pictures.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,467 Posts
And what sucks is that newer front end and hood you put on gets you no extra money for trade in or selling either. Stinks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
About this Discussion
21 Replies
10 Participants
gameofyou
Dodge Challenger Forum
Challenger Talk, the online forum for discussions, reviews of Dodge Challenger, and all things SRT, Hellcat, and Demon.
Full Forum Listing