Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a 2008 SRT8 with super low milage as a gift for my husband. I noticed at the dealership there was a puff of blue smoke from the right exhaust, and I was told that it was due to it not being driven. Long story short, the smoke got worse - car is currently at the dealership (which cannot find any place where there is oil consumption) and is waiting on an engineer to call them back before they tear into my engine! I know what some of the possible causes for the blue smoke are: Ring/Valve Seal; Valve Guide.... This car has been upgraded to a performance exhaust system. I just wondered if anyone else has experienced this issue? Thanks for the help.:scratchhead:

·
Registered
4,964 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Sorry to hear about your bad luck. The puff of blue "MAY" be from oil being sucked through your PCV into the intake. My dealer has spoken to the engineers at Dodge and they "know nothing" just like in Hogan's Heros.
So there is nothing they can do for me. I asked about the Oil Catch Cans that everyone seems to be putting on their cars... the engineers told the dealer not to do it as it may cause the rear seal to blow. I think they don't want to admit they have made a mistake.
Their response is that the hi-perf engines from the late 60's and early 70's all used oil. I call BS on that as I had 2 (74 Challenger & 69 Chelleve SS) neither used oil!
Dealer wants to re-ring and re-hone the cylinders, even replace the valve guides... I'm not sure that is the issue on a motor with only 25,000 km.
First thing is you have to monitor the oil consumption... I'm using 1 lt in 3000 km... my car doesn't smoke, so maybe yours is using more... I've heard of some on here using quite a bit more.
Some guys say drive it like you stole it... but really I don't think that is the answer to an engineering problem.
I see you posted this in July.... any results?

·
Premium Member
491 Posts
I just bought a 2008 SRT8 with super low milage as a gift for my husband. I noticed at the dealership there was a puff of blue smoke from the right exhaust, and I was told that it was due to it not being driven. Long story short, the smoke got worse - car is currently at the dealership (which cannot find any place where there is oil consumption) and is waiting on an engineer to call them back before they tear into my engine! I know what some of the possible causes for the blue smoke are: Ring/Valve Seal; Valve Guide.... This car has been upgraded to a performance exhaust system. I just wondered if anyone else has experienced this issue? Thanks for the help.:scratchhead:
First off, congratulations on your purchase, your husband is one lucky guy, if I may say so.
Several ideas come to mind.

1) If possible, try & take your car to another Dodge dealer, preferably a 5 star dealer. All Dodge dealers are not created equal. Sometimes a fresh perspective looking @ a problem can do wonders. Dodge likes to think that all its dealers are great @ service but the coveted 5 star dealers are in a special elite class all by themselves. For some it takes years in order to achieve this recognition. Understandably, they're quite proud of this honor.

2) If the above doesn't work try taking your Challenger to a high performance shop that specializes in or is at least very familiar with SRT8's. Yes I know you paid for a still relatively new car warranty but sometimes in all honesty dealership mechanics are not the best & the brightest (no offense intended) when it comes to fixing cars. If you live in or near a large metropolitan area there should be a business located like I describe.

3) Do you know someone else who has an SRT8? Do you know of any local modern mopar clubs? Those guys know just about everything there is to know about these cars including what ails them & where to go to get it fixed right the 1st time.

4) You mention that you bought the car "used" from the dealer, is it possible to contact the car's former owner to ask what all he did to the car while he owned it? Most reputable dealers won't mind giving you this information.

I hope you find some or all of this 411 useful to you. Please keep us updated on your progress one way or the other.

Good luck!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts