Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
492 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited by Moderator)
Here's a recent article from allpar.com:​

The 2008 Dodge Challenger LY cars

The two-door model Challenger takes many cues from the 1970 model, including floating headlights, ribbed black seating, a hood with black trim, a 6.1-liter Hemi engine with six-speed manual transmission and a pistol grip shifter, and the general look and feel; designers had a 1970 model in the studio as they created a concept. "We wanted to do a muscle coupe that connects with the American heritage," said Tom Tremont, Vice President—Advance Product Design, "but instead of merely re-creating that car, the designers endeavored to build a Challenger most people see in their mind's eye—a vehicle without the imperfections."



The Hemi has 425 hp, 420 lb-ft of torque, and a six-speed manual transmission. So geared, with its 4,100 pound weight, it can do 0-60 in 4.5 seconds (with 20 inch wheels on front and 21 inch wheels on back), and runs the quarter mile in 13 seconds flat; top speed is 174 mph (limited by wind resistance), while gas mileage is estimated at 14 city, 20 highway, very good compared with the original Challenger.


Read the entire story here:

http://www.allpar.com/cars/dodge/challenger.html
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
748 Posts
Hey, all I want is DCX's commitment to build the car. I can wait for the intro, whenever that may be. Just formally announce you will build it!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
77 Posts
So far i love everything..but...that 4100lbs is a lil high?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
51 Posts
do you think they will make an srt8 with the 6.1 litre and a R/T with the 5.7 litre engine cause that is what I want. Also some sites have said that the car will be speciality like the Prowler. All I can say is I hope not.....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1 Posts
I just read that the new cobra when tested had a weight of 3,850 pounds and 4,155 with ten gallons of fuel and a driver, they are also sayin 450 horse power but the engineers of the svt department were dropping hints that they blew past that # on the dyno and the it may be closer to 500
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10 Posts
You have to think about it from what we know the R/T will not be the gt500s rival but the SRT-8 will, so if 6.1 liter = 425 hp (mabey higher, ford said the gt500 had 450 hp but was getting 500 hp) so the 6.4 = ?500 hp+?


Something for the brain to chew on.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,027 Posts
AmericanMuscle said:
You have to think about it from what we know the R/T will not be the gt500s rival but the SRT-8 will, so if 6.1 liter = 425 hp (mabey higher, ford said the gt500 had 450 hp but was getting 500 hp) so the 6.4 = ?500 hp+?


Something for the brain to chew on.

I think you are right...If we get 500+HP with the SRT-8 then all we be good in the world.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
419 Posts
chunk said:
I just read that the new cobra when tested had a weight of 3,850 pounds and 4,155 with ten gallons of fuel and a driver, they are also sayin 450 horse power but the engineers of the svt department were dropping hints that they blew past that # on the dyno and the it may be closer to 500
Ford released the official horsepower rating of the GT500 at the Detroit Auto Show. 475hp is what they are listing it at. I'm willing to bet on dynos that it will be even higher. The engine in the GT500 is more or less the same engine used in the GT, only a different supercharger. The GT is listed at 550hp, but dynos have shown it to be closer to 600hp.

The R/T will not be meant to compete against the GT500, that will be the SRT versions job once it's produced.

I also think after it's all said and done, and produced on the new LY platform, that the Challenger will weigh very close to the GT500.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,027 Posts
Big Country said:
Ford released the official horsepower rating of the GT500 at the Detroit Auto Show. 475hp is what they are listing it at. I'm willing to bet on dynos that it will be even higher. The engine in the GT500 is more or less the same engine used in the GT, only a different supercharger. The GT is listed at 550hp, but dynos have shown it to be closer to 600hp.

The R/T will not be meant to compete against the GT500, that will be the SRT versions job once it's produced.

I also think after it's all said and done, and produced on the new LY platform, that the Challenger will weigh very close to the GT500.
I think so to!
 
1 - 20 of 27 Posts
Top