Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I read on a post somewhere that if puting a supercharger on an '08, you should also change out the rear end at the same time due to weak parts or something. Can someone please elaborate? What needs to be swaped out? The entire axel? Gears/diff? etc...?

I'm looking at buying an '08 with only 8000 miles. Has a Procharger installed. Don't want to have to sink money into it in a few months due to broken parts. Thanks

·
Registered
1,539 Posts
Why does the rear end need to be replaced? Plenty of 2004+ up chargers and jeep SRT-8's are super charged and all those have the same rear diff (pretty sure at least?)...never knew the 08's had weak ones.

·
Banned
928 Posts
well like anything else if you beat on it enough something is bound to give out. I have an 08 with a Vortech on mine and have not changed anything out. It is true though that the rear in the 08 SRT8 is not quite as stout as that of the 09-later model

·
Banned
4,131 Posts
its not that its weak. its a peg leg (open diff). at the track with sticky tires it will only launch of the passenger side wheel. street driving it is fine

·
Premium Member
8,295 Posts
The issue is really only if you plan to hit the track often with drag radials or slicks. The 08 cars have the non LSD rear and also much weaker axles than the 09 up cars. If you plan to hit the track and just want stronger axles we have some inexpensive 09 upgrades that will work,Speedlogix 215MM Half-shaft Axle Upgrade Kit 06-08 300, Challenger, Charger, Magnum 6.1L SRT8 if you are under about 600 RWHP these will do the trick, if you want an LSD as well you can swap to the complete Getrag or something even stronger depending on power level.

·
Premium Member
1,949 Posts
You'll be fine unless you've really got the boost cranked up and you're hitting the track a lot with slicks or DRs. With street tires you'll just spin.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks everyone for all of the feedback. I had read a blip on another post and had some concerns. Unfortunately, I had an appointment to see the car and they ended up selling it the day before my appointment. Pretty bummed about it. Thanks again

1 - 9 of 9 Posts