Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
2008 Challenger SRT8 #1101
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello,

I'm looking at buying a used 2008 SRT with 38,000 miles on it. I have loved these Challengers since they came out and thought I would never be able to own one but I find myself needing a car and a budget of around $20,000 to $24,000 cash. I'm not looking to get into another loan but have some savings.

This one I found is the exact color that I want (dark grey / gunmetal look) and has a sunroof, black rims. I love the black look instead of chrome. As far as looks it has everything I want except I also really want the PHANTOM GRILL as I absolutely LOVE that look that of headlights behind the grill that echoes the classic GTO, Torino, Camaro, and of course the Challenger.

I have not found these out there for the 2008 as I guess there was some body change already in 2009?

Does anyone know of issues/problems typical on the 2008 that I should look for in this car? Also, recalls, service bulletins, etc.?

I am a little hesitant at buying a 10 year old car but its spent its life in southern states (hopefully very little rust/road salt damage), and only has 38,000 miles on it.

Within my same budget I know I could find an RT that was more recent (2012,2013) with more miles on it.

This could be my only way to own something as fast as this SRT.
The 18 year old in me wants to buy this and run! (I'm far from 18...)

ANY AND ALL IDEAS, OPINIONS, THOUGHTS ON THIS ARE WELCOME.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
EDIT: I did fly down to Florida and purchased this car after having a local mechanic check it out very thoroughly.
Thank you all for your opinions and comments!
One of the original side pics made the door almost look to be a lighter color than the rest but it is not.

Just a strange catching of the light on the Matte Grey finish it has. This is one beautiful car and I am very
happy to be part of the family, FINALLY!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

THANKS for reading this and the time some of you will take to reply!

Jeremy

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
13,863 Posts
A lot of the SRTs, especially the early ones, were "garage queens" and not daily drivers. If it is in good mechanical shape, I would not hesitate to buy it.

I have a 2009 SRT. It handles and performs great. It is, basically, identical to the 2008 except for the fact that it has a limited slip rear, in addition to the electronic stability control. As the top-of-the-line model, you get a lot of upgrades over the R/T, such as the 6.1 Hemi, Brembo brakes, SRT suspension, SRT seats, etc. See the following specifications:

Engine- 6.1 Liter (372 Cubic Inches):

-425 BHP @6,200 RPM
-420 lb-ft. Torque @4,800 rpm
-Iron Block with Reinforced Bulkheads -
-Ported Hemi Heads with Large Cross-Sectional Area
-OHV 2-Valve/Cylinder, Chain Drive
-4.06 Bore, 3.58 Inch Stroke
-10.3:1 Compression Ratio
-2.08 Intake & 1.60 Exhaust Valves
-Sodium-Filled Hollow Stem Intake Valves
-External Dampers on Valve Springs
-Electronic Sequential Port Fuel Injection
-Cast Eutectic High-Load Flat-Top Alloy Pistons
-Piston Oil Cooling Jets
-Powder Metal High Strength Connecting Rods
-Forged Micro-Alloy Steel Crankshaft with
-Tri-Metal Main Bearings
-Billet Steel High-Strength Camshaft (.571/.551 in. lift
283/286 degrees duration)
-Cast Aluminum Intake Manifold, Core-Dipped Runners
-High Flow Capacity Fuel Injectors
-Windage Tray
-Shorty Clamshell Exhaust Headers

Drivetrain:

-5-Speed Getrag Automatic or 6-speed Tremac manual
-3.06:1 Final Drive Ratio
-Sure-Grip Anti-Lock Differential
-Anti-Spin Rear Differential
-Electronic Stability Program/Brake Assist
-All-Speed Traction Control

Brakes (Brembo System):

-14.2 Inch Vented & Slotted Discs (front)
4-Piston Fixed Calipers
-13.8 Inch Vented & Slotted Discs (rear)
-Vacuum-Assisted ABS

Wheels & Tires:

-Alcoa Forged Alloy (20” x 9”)
-Goodyear Eagle RSA 245/45/ZR20

Steering & Suspension:

-Rack & Pinion
-Hydraulic Assist Steering (2.7 turns lock to lock)
-Upper & Lower A-Arms, Coil Springs,
-Bilstein Tube Shocks (Front)
-Multi-link, Coil Springs, Bilstein Tube Shocks (Rear)
-Anti-Roll Bars (30mm front & 16mm rear)

Exhaust:

-2.75 Inch Diameter Exhaust Pipes (Chrome Tips)
-One High-Flow Muffler & Two Resonators

Performance:

-13.0 sec. @109.7 mph (1/4 mile)
-4.7 sec. 0-60 mph
-170 mph Top Speed
-.85 g Lateral Acceleration
-65.0 mph on Slalom
-110 ft. 60-0 mph Braking
-212 ft. 80-0 mph Braking

There were a few technical service bulletins, such as the battery cables, a driveability reflash and key fob. Nothing major. These may have already been taken care by the previous owner. The dealer has a record of the car and could confirm this. Also Challengers, like most cars, had a recall for the Tanaka air bag inflators. See the following forum for specific details:

Technical Service Bulletins & Recalls - Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums

·
Super Moderator
15,387 Posts
The upper grille / surround is the same for '08 - '14 models; the lower grille / air inlet had two styles
'08 - '10 and '11-'14

The main things to watch for:

*side plastic rocker covers - prone to cracking / warping. They'll get cracks where they wrap 90* into the wheel well openings

*early production were prone to bubbles in the black plastic surrounds around the front grille, underhood splash shields, and rear black plastic surround around tail lights. It appears the plastic was a vinyl wrap and later versions appear to be all molded textured plastic

*check the touch screen radio to make sure it operates correctly. If the display screen is defective or HDD is dead - you'll have a non-op unit.

Yours either has aftermarket wheels or the prior owner painted the OEM wheels. The 20" Alcoa forged wheels were the only wheel on the SRT model.

Here's an image of the SRT wheel:

Attachments

·
Premium Member
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the great info!

Here are some images of it.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
15,387 Posts
that's either a vinyl wrap or got painted gray matte...

the only '08 colors were Brilliant Black Pearl (metallic/ pearl finish), Hemi Orange Pearl, Brilliant Silver Metallic

·
Super Moderator
13,863 Posts
that's either a vinyl wrap or got painted gray matte...

the only '08 colors were Brilliant Black Pearl (metallic/ pearl finish), Hemi Orange Pearl, Brilliant Silver Metallic

It looks like the previous owner modified the exterior. Besides the paint or wrap, it has after market wheels and all SRT badging has been removed. Also, the red Brembo brake calipers have been painted black.

Here are photos of the three colors for 2008 SRTs:

·
Premium Member
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You guessed right Hal. I got more info today on it and it got an $8k + paint job of matte grey at the request of the former owner (Mario Chalmers, former Point Guard for the Miami Heat) who had it since 2012 and kept it garaged. I'm not a sports guy but I definitely like that guy's taste! The only thing at the moment I know I'm adding is a phantom grill for the front.

The wheels are actually 22" Vossen wheels (www.VossenWheels.com) on it. They are going to put all new tires on it for me as part of the deal.

Exhaust and engine are both stock.

I pulled the trigger and I'm getting it. I can't wait to be driving this baby back home!

·
Super Moderator
13,863 Posts
The wheels are actually 22" Vossen wheels (www.VossenWheels.com) on it. They are going to put all new tires on it for me as part of the deal.

If you plan to drive your SRT in cold weather, or light snow, make sure they install all weather tires. Also, you may want to upgrade to 255/45-20 or 275/40-20 tires, instead of the stock 245/45-20.

·
Premium Member
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Good point on the tires, thx. My plan is to hopefully find a cheap reliable "beater" car so I can keep her off the road for winter weather and snug in the garage.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I had the same idea you do... and bought a numbered 08 back in Jan. Mine had a lot less mileage but basically a showroom almost new mileage for 1/2 new car money. Personally I liked the 6.1 better than the newer 5.7. Like all used anything look at everything. Not all dealers are reputable and even reputable ones can be duped by a savvy trade in. But in answer to your question... I have liked mine and don't know of any problematic issues. But then I've only had it a few months.

·
Premium Member
1,559 Posts
08 Challenger 0552/6400

Had mine for ten years. The HDD unit went out, replaced under warranty.
Had recall done for airbags, reflash and key fob. 08 interior features leave it outdated. SRT upgrades are very nice.
6.1 Hemi is versatile. Hemi Orange. 40,000 on the clock. SOLD

I now have 17 T/A Plus. 5.7, 8 speed automatic, Yellow Jacket with a long list of goodies. 8.4 nav, S.G.ll, Leather package, SRT style seats with T/A logo.

·
Registered
959 Posts
It's multi colored (it has the same color variations at different angles). Looks like someone put lipstick on a pig in order to sell it. I would pass.

I definitely wouldn't buy it without an experienced collision tech looking it over.

·
Premium Member
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
Actually, your eyes (and mine) do deceive you...

I did purchase it and I am VERY happy that I went to see it before changing my mind on not getting it. The Matte color reflects a little differently than a gloss coat and for whatever reason, the angle they shot the side picture at did not catch the sunlight on the other panels, just the door.

I almost passed it over because of those pics but this is a beautiful car and I love the color more every time I drive it.
The paint job was done very nicely. I have yet to find any areas of the original black (except for a couple nicks in the door).

I'll add a picture that shows how that reflectivity is on it.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
Oink, Oink, not a pig.

It's multi colored (it has the same color variations at different angles). Looks like someone put lipstick on a pig in order to sell it. I would pass.

I definitely wouldn't buy it without an experienced collision tech looking it over.

Well, you can save your lipstick for a different pig cause this one is a beauty in person!:wink3:

And my mechanic that checked it out fully also used one of these tools all over the entire body to make sure there were no covered repairs.
https://www.defelsko.com/resources/automotive-paint-inspection-paint-meters

Very proud to now be part of the Challenger Team!:bigthumb:
(And my first Mopar to boot)

·
Premium Member
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
Phantom Grill!

Here are a few pics as she is now with the Phantom Grille. And one while being installed at the dealer.

To me, that just completes the front end on this one!

And yes, the McLaren beside it there in that picture was sweet!

Attachments

1 - 20 of 20 Posts