Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi!
I know that new Challenger (2015) is sold with numerous sound systems (they call it Sound groups). Is this also the case with a previous model? How can I find out which audio is installed in a car when searching through IAAI auctions? Is there some kind of rule that for example says that SXT Plus has always this audio package and SE that one?

Bartek

·
Premium Member
2,335 Posts
Unfortunately, there is no hard and fast rule when it comes to sound systems. An SXT plus can have a basic system up to the HK system, but the clue is the radio screen. It has to be 8.4" to have an upgraded sound system. But even then, I'm not sure how you would know or not without hearing it.

As far as I know, the '09 and 10 SE's had the basic 2 speakers in the doors, and 2 in the rear deck, 276 Watt amp. setup. It was kind of weak, for sure.

·
Super Moderator
15,381 Posts
Base SXT - 4 speaker base system

SXT Plus - Sound Group I (276w / 6 speaker) optional

R/T Base - Sound Group I is std, Sound Group II optional (368w/ 7 speaker + sub)

R/T Plus - Sound Group I std (276w / 6 speaker) HK optional later years (18 speaker / 900w)

SRT392 - 276w 6 speaker is standard / HK audio optional

SRT Core - Sound Group I - std / Sound Group II - opt.

SG I = 276w / 6 speaker
SG II = 368w / 7 speaker + sub
Perf Audio (HK) = 900w 18 speakers - includes dual sub

note: Kicker audio option [552w 13 speaker -includes 10"sub] was '11 only; HK was '12+

·
Registered
42 Posts
I just purchased a 2010 R/T Classic. It as the navigation...how can I tell which stereo system it has?

·
Super Moderator
15,381 Posts
I just purchased a 2010 R/T Classic. It as the navigation...how can I tell which stereo system it has?
If you have the dealer looks up the sales codes (they use the VIN #)

On the R/T Classic in those years you had:
*base 276w 6 speaker audio
*Sound Group II 368w 7 speaker audio + sub[optional]

the sales code for SG II audio is ATL

the sub for SG II is under the cover below the rear parcel shelf, so its not readily visible.

There's a lot more bass output with SGII over the standard system, due to the sub. There's also a center dash speaker with SGII, which is another tell-tale item.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Does my 2013 SRT Core have an amp in it? It had a
standard radio and 6 speakers. I don't see an amp mounted on the side of the steering column.
I upgraded my radio with the 730n Nav. Everything works fine except doesn't have much power at all.

·
Super Moderator
15,381 Posts
Does my 2013 SRT Core have an amp in it? It had a
standard radio and 6 speakers. I don't see an amp mounted on the side of the steering column.
I upgraded my radio with the 730n Nav. Everything works fine except doesn't have much power at all.
The amps are small units (digital) and they're to the left of the column, under dash situated to the right of the parking brake pedal.

The head unit just handles the low level signal that goes to the outboard amp module.

·
Super Moderator
15,381 Posts
The problem is that there is no amp mounted there. Just holes where it would be. I think it didnt come in the CORE but I would like to know if I can add it.
I had to go back to my archive of brochures...

Your SRT Core had the base sound system (w/ 6 speakers), IIRC 168w
-basically it was what the base SXT came with.

The Sound Group I option was extra cost which gained the 276w setup on the Core model.

What I don't know is whether yours has the harness that would take the 276w amp - which is why you don't find an amp under your dash. You have the base audio for the Core model.

Did you see any unused connectors under the dash? That might be the answer about the harness.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I didn't see an unused harness under there. I was hoping that I could just change out my 6 speakers with the BA's and add the factory amp. Thought maybe it would just require a harness that would run from the 730n radio to the amp then out to the speakers. My dealership haven't been able to answer that for me.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts