Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking at two different challengers and wanted some opinions.

Both are auto.
2009 Challenger R/T 97k miles 14.5k
2012 Challenger R/T 82k miles 17.8k

I am selling my 1999 Pontiac Trans am with 170k miles to buy this car. It's our third car so it only sees around 5k miles a year. The only reason to do this trade is for me to get a 5th person in the car. I have 3 kids and the trans am doesn't fit us anymore. Is the newer one really worth 3k more? I am not looking at spending a ton of money on our third car.

How long do these Challengers last? It will be my first Mopar. Or is GM that much better? Because there are so many LS1 trans ams with way over 200k still runing at the track.

·
Premium Member
460 Posts
The 2012 has a bit more horsepower, and probably more bells and whistles. I liked the 2012 I had better than my friend's 2010. She has to get her fob out and unlock her doors with a button, like some sort of caveman. I'm super lazy, and like how I don't really ever have to take the key out of my pocket.

Without more details, it's hard to compare the two.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The 2012 has a bit more horsepower, and probably more bells and whistles. I liked the 2012 I had better than my friend's 2010. She has to get her fob out and unlock her doors with a button, like some sort of caveman. I'm super lazy, and like how I don't really ever have to take the key out of my pocket.

Without more details, it's hard to compare the two.
The only thing I notice between both of them was paddle shifters. My 1999 trans am is so outdated that both cars look so new to me. I currently daily drive a 2011 Tacoma and my wife has 2002 Escalade. So I don't switch cars very often. :grin2:

Which really leads to the question. Will this Challenger be good for 50k miles or 10 years before I decide to upgrade to another car. Or maybe just rebuild it ,

·
Premium Member
460 Posts
My year round car is a 2004 Ram that I bought new, so I understand keeping cars. But I also change summer toys frequently.

I don't find the paddle shifters very useful, myself. I rarely use them. Most turning I do requires sharper turns than they would allow.

I'm not an expert on the longevity of the cars, myself. I'm sure others will chime in.

There could be a lot of other options that are different between the two, like suspension, etc. that looking at build sheets would help rectify. Do you have the VINs for both cars?

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My year round car is a 2004 Ram that I bought new, so I understand keeping cars. But I also change summer toys frequently.

I don't find the paddle shifters very useful, myself. I rarely use them. Most turning I do requires sharper turns than they would allow.

I'm not an expert on the longevity of the cars, myself. I'm sure others will chime in.

There could be a lot of other options that are different between the two, like suspension, etc. that looking at build sheets would help rectify. Do you have the VINs for both cars?
Used 2009 Dodge Challenger R/T For Sale in Bakersfield CA | VIN: 2B3LJ54T19H541354

https://www.cargurus.com/Cars/inventorylisting/viewDetailsFilterViewInventoryListing.action?sourceContext=carGurusHomePage_false_0&entitySelectingHelper.selectedEntity=d894&zip=91350#listing=177227021

Here are both cars.

·
Super Moderator
13,872 Posts
If both cars are in good shape, I would buy the 2012. For $3.3K more, you are getting a car with 15,000 less miles and a few more "bells and whistles."

The only thing you should be aware of is the black color. When clean and waxed it will look awesome, but it will also a lot more show dirt, scratches and swirls that the silver 2009. You will have to keep on it.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Both are actually black. The picture is wrong. I totally agree with you on the black only looks nice clean but it looks oh so nice clean .:)

Maybe you are right, and $3,300 more is worth the 3 years newer and 15k miles less. I am going to shoot them an email. Maybe they can lower it at least the $300. To make it an even 3k difference.

Do you foresee these cars lasting 200k miles?

·
Super Moderator
13,872 Posts
Both are actually black. The picture is wrong. I totally agree with you on the black only looks nice clean but it looks oh so nice clean .:) Maybe you are right, and $3,300 more is worth the 3 years newer and 15k miles less. I am going to shoot them an email. Maybe they can lower it at least the $300. To make it an even 3k difference. Do you foresee these cars lasting 200k miles?
I can't comment about the longevity of the Challenger since the longest I have owned any car was 106,000 miles.

Kelly Blue book gives a dealer sales price range of $17,117 to 19,878, with a fair price of $18,498. With the $17,800 asking price, I think that you should definitely try to get another $300 off. In addition, I would ask for a free "extra," like 3 years of oil changes, window tint, or wheel locks.

https://www.kbb.com/dodge/challenger/2012/r-t-coupe-2d/?vehicleid=373436&intent=buy-used&options=6516350|true&mileage=81483&condition=good&pricetype=retail#survey

I would also recommend that you read the Auto Cheat Sheet. It is a very informative guide, written by a former car salesman, about how to buy new and used cars.

https://www.autocheatsheet.com/used-car/used-car-tips.html

·
Premium Member
460 Posts
My 2012 was black. It looked awesome clean. That usually lasted about 23 seconds, and then it started looking crappy again. That's one of the reasons I got rid of it. You can refer to my previous post where I'm too lazy to take a fob from my pocket to get the idea...

·
Registered
267 Posts
Ya the 2012 because of the better motor...

·
Registered
206 Posts
It's a wash if you ask me really, I'm not too concerned with all the creature comforts, just more things too go out one day. I think the logo-less nose would be nice but hey.... Not sure I would give up a T/A for it, but I'm biased :) Actually you will enjoy the increase in room for sure. Good luck on the buy.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
It's a wash if you ask me really, I'm not too concerned with all the creature comforts, just more things too go out one day. I think the logo-less nose would be nice but hey.... Not sure I would give up a T/A for it, but I'm biased :) Actually you will enjoy the increase in room for sure. Good luck on the buy.
I love the trans am but can't keep a fourth car. It will have to go. I am not too concerned with comforts either as the 2009 already has much more than my current 1999 trans am.

The biggest thing is being able to fit the wife. The 3 kids fit, but the wife doesn't fit in the trans am. :)

·
Premium Member
460 Posts
Ah, yes. I was thinking that the 2012 had an HP bump from the 2009, but I was wrong. I was thinking of my 2004 Ram. Same 372 horsepower engine.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Yeah same hp.

I am almost trying to lean towards the 2009. 3K is decent chunk of change. I can buy a power train warranty from Chrysler for it for $1500 and still come ahead $1500.

Taking in consideration the Trans Am I am selling is only worth $6,500. I need to come with anther 10-13k.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts