Dodge Challenger Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Here's a follow up to my earlier posting regarding my 2009 Challenger R/T CEL. I've had a P0308 CEL code that won't go away. I checked the plugs, checked for vacuum leaks and swapped coils but still have the code. Figured it might be the dreaded bad lifter/cam issue so I made an appointment to drop the car off at the local Chrysler dealer. Heard back from them this afternoon and they confirmed it was a bad lifter and also recommended new plugs and water pump as the tech said the water pump bearing is starting to go. I checked the plugs and I don't think they're bad as I replaced them with iridium plugs about 25K miles ago.

My question is: if the tech finds one bad lifter, should all the lifters be replaced? If one is going out, shouldn't they figure it's only a matter of time that the others would follow? I was quoted $4700 for all the repairs and I brought up the question of the lifetime drive train warranty and of course the service writer said my car warranty is expired. I told him I wasn't referring to the new car bumper to bumper warranty but the lifetime drive train warranty offered on the 2009 models and again, he said he knows nothing about that. I explained that I've faithfully brought the car in to them every five years for the inspection. He said he'll talk to the tech and get back to me. Just asking should I ask them about replacing all the lifters. He didn't say whether the cam lobes are worn or not, I don't think the tech's gone that far into the engine at this point.

·
Registered
679 Posts
The service writer may not be aware of the lifetime powertrain warranty (LPW). it was only offered for one year in 2009

As long as you had all of your five year inspections done, the warranty is still valid. Lifters are covered under LPW. I had to look it up in my warranty booklet, the water pump is covered under the LPW. Tell them the plugs are still good.

It should not cost you a single penny to fix this

·
Premium Member
The Bacon Hauler (‘12 Cop Charger)
10,010 Posts
$4700 sounds like the bill for a complete cam and all lifter replacement. If that only covers one lifter, they are the wrong place to have do any work.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.