Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all.

I recently purchased a 2009 Challenger that was engine swapped with a 2006 5.7. It is currently not running. I understand the 2009 should be a VVT engine, and the 2006 is not. I am assuming the reason it will not run is because of this. Is there a pcm flash I could do to get the non VVT engine to run in my car? If so, where could I obtain the flash?

Thanks in advance for any help.

·
Premium Member
The Pork Wagon (‘14 Cop Charger)
6,513 Posts
Way too many variables to make that call just yet.

What do you mean by not running? Will not start at all, tries to start but won’t catch, runs until closed loop mode and dies?

The 2006 car will have had an EGR setup, the 2009 won’t need it. Is all that just closed off and tucked away?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It tries to start but will not catch. EGR setup is still there but not plugged in because the wiring harness does not have the connector.

Only code I am reading from my CEL is P0013. I tried changing the camshaft position sensor before realizing it was a 2006 engine, and that did not help.

·
Premium Member
6,513 Posts
Is the PCM from the engine’s donor car available? Trying to make that work in yours may be easier than trying to make your PCM work with this older engine

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It is not. I got it from a lady who bought it in the condition it is in. She was not aware of the engine swap until I informed her.

·
Premium Member
6,513 Posts
Well, IDK the best route to take. If it were me, I’d inquire with some email tuner folks to see if they can possibly take the stock tune and disable the EGR and enable the VVT stuff. Not sure if it’s even possible, but they would know if it were.

In the meantime, maybe test the cam sensor to verify it’s good. A resistance test with a DMM should be able to do that.

Also, join the LXForum site and search around for some answers or post up a question about your scenario. The folks there seem to be more hardcore about this sort of thing, someone will possess the knowledge you seek, it’s just a matter of getting their attention.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you. I have already posted on that forum but have not had any responses yet.

Any email tuners you could point me in the direction of?

·
Premium Member
6,513 Posts
Thank you. I have already posted on that forum but have not had any responses yet.

Any email tuners you could point me in the direction of?
Ive heard names and such, but I haven’t used any, and I wouldn’t know the beat way to contact them. Create a thread in the performance/tuning section asking for email tuner recommendations. You should get several options to choose from in response.

·
Registered
125 Posts
VVT should not in and of itself stop the engine from running. not knowing how the swap was done becomes important because of wiring changes from 06 to 09 can bite you, that's why engines come with an ECU. You need to find an 09 donor car for your sensors and any other parts you may be missing or changed. The main long block should be the same; just MDS or not.

That said I think your engine is broken and you may not have a big electronic issue. Try following a no start trouble shooting list and see what you are missing or busted first before firing the parts cannon.

·
Premium Member
6,513 Posts
Using car-part.com I did a quick search for 2009 5.7L AT PCMs, and I got hits from $80 up to $150, with lots in the $100 range.

That was local to me, so the price may be different depending on zip code, but all in all, that seems relatively inexpensive to complete an engine swap.

·
Super Moderator
15,557 Posts
if the PCM is still the original 2009 and they're trying to run the 2006 harness...

or the original 2009 harness is put to the 2006 engine - there's sensors missing (like the cam position sensor) and its going to have erros.

It makes me wonder is something did a quick engine swap to try and sell the vehicle, yet things weren't working correctly. and then sell it off.

there's got to be thousands of used 2009+ 5.7s out there and this is what someone did...?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Some of these responses make me feel like my original post was not clear. I apologize if that is the case.

My Challenger is a 2009. The car currently has a 2006 engine in it. Everything else about the car is stock. It will turnover and attempt to run but does not start.

From my understanding, the 2006 engine has a 32 tooth reluctor gear. The 2009 ecu needs to read a 58 tooth reluctor wheel which is standard on the 2009+ crankshaft due to the engine needing to know a more precise position of the crank for the VVT. This is why I am experiencing a no start condition.

I have a 2012 engine on the way which I will be installing this upcoming week. Once I get it in, I will update on whether or not that resolves my issue.

Thank you everyone for your input!

·
Registered
2010 R/T Classic 6M
433 Posts
Good idea putting a VVT engine in it, honestly a waste of time trying to get the old motor to work properly. Less power, less fuel economy, and less reliable with more headache's. I've got a lot of experience tearing down both 5.7s and the VVT is a big step up from the old 5.7.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Update. Installed a 2012 5.7. Runs fine. Only issue Im having is with the exhaust not sealing correctly where the headers meet the downpipes.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts