Dodge Challenger Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
09 Dodge Challenger R/T 5.7L VVT automatic transmission.

List of everything currently on car:

25-TSPHemiSTG2 - Texas Speed Hemi Stage 2 Camshaft 218/226 .582/.582 112+3

25-Hemi57SpringKit - TSP 5.7L Hemi Spring Kit w/ PAC 1275X Springs and .060" Shims

97-PAC-1275X - PAC Drop In Springs for 5.7 HEMI 140 lbs @ 1.950", 405 lbs @ 1.300", Coil Bind 1.225", 1.290" OD, .630" ID

87-S-06-404H - PEP HEMI .060" Valve Spring Shim 1.500 x .875 HP

4-5760 - Comp Cams Phaser Lock Kit for Hemi VVT Engine

25-6775-3/8 - Texas Speed & Performance 3/8' Hardened Pushrods, 6.775' Length, Per Pushrod

25-8075-3/8 - Texas Speed 8.075" Pushrod, 3/8 diameter, .080 wall thickness

4-7703-1 - Comp Cams Hi-Tech Checking Pushrod 7.800'-8.800'

4-7701-1 - Comp Cams pushrod length checker. Adjustable from 5.800" to 6.800" in .050" increments

25-MDSdelete - TSP MDS Delete kit for 09+ Hemi

25-HEADG1621AEL - TSP Cylinder Head Gasket HEMI - Left 2009+ .0355 (Individual) 5.7L

25-HEADG1620AER - TSP Cylinder Head Gasket- Right HEMI 2009+ .0355 (Individual) 5.7L

25-9933AD - TSP Timing Cover Gasket Set HEMI (Seal + Gasket only)

25-6334AA - TSP HEMI Cylinder Head Bolt Kit -PER SIDE

25-4179AB - TSP Valve Cover Gaskets with Spark Plug Tube Seals HEMI

426-5038784AD - Hellcat lifters and Tray (Req

168-K31777 - Mahle HEMI Water Pump

Gasket-CAR 25-0763AA - TSP Hemi Balancer Bolt

168-MS19832 - Mahle HEMI Exhaust Manifold Gaskets MLS

426-6102430-AA - Hemi VVT Cam Bolt

25-2221AA - TSP Hemi MDS expansion plug (Single)

MSD Coils

New timing

Corsa CAI enclosed

1 7/8 long tube headers

No cat’s

Melling high pressure/volume oil pump

magnaflow mufflers

Diablo tuner currently only used for data-log

March 13, picked up car from shop would idle fine and be responsive on cold start for about 1 minute than start start fluctuating rpms and would try to die. After about two minutes you would have to give the gas pedal pressure to keep running.

March 15, went to take the car to a tuner after about an hour the tuners said something was mechanically wrong with my car making it impossible for them to tune. They said its either timing or pushrod length. They said they put a base tune in the car that when its mechanically right should move under its own power without trying to die just for moving around and low speeds.

March 16, mechanic shop finds that somehow diesel was mixed into my fuel tank! Drained and 91 octane put back into car. Still has the same issue with idling.

Shop also said the cars timing should be 38 degrees how ever at idle is currently 49, and when turned off sitting at 64.

Fast forward to today. Im headed to the shop to see if we can fix whatever is wrong with the car. The shop thinks its either the phaser lockout or timings is off a tooth. They are still looking into this.
We added the rear O2 sensors to the car. Brand new. Didnt change. However instead of heating circuits code we now get codes for rich in both banks.

Any thoughts would greatly be appreciated as we are having a hell of a time making this work. Now i have a diablo tuner with can tunes however i dont have the factory as a tune shop currently has their tune on the car. Can this be a tuning issue with timing or more likely mechanical? Should i have a phaser limiter or can this work with a full lockout? The tuner shop im using doesnt specialize in hemi motors however they say they've tuned them before.

New here i saw another thread with similar issues but no resolve currently.

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
12,138 Posts
09 Dodge Challenger R/T 5.7L VVT automatic transmission.

List of everything currently on car:

25-TSPHemiSTG2 - Texas Speed Hemi Stage 2 Camshaft 218/226 .582/.582 112+3

25-Hemi57SpringKit - TSP 5.7L Hemi Spring Kit w/ PAC 1275X Springs and .060" Shims

97-PAC-1275X - PAC Drop In Springs for 5.7 HEMI 140 lbs @ 1.950", 405 lbs @ 1.300", Coil Bind 1.225", 1.290" OD, .630" ID

87-S-06-404H - PEP HEMI .060" Valve Spring Shim 1.500 x .875 HP

4-5760 - Comp Cams Phaser Lock Kit for Hemi VVT Engine

25-6775-3/8 - Texas Speed & Performance 3/8' Hardened Pushrods, 6.775' Length, Per Pushrod

25-8075-3/8 - Texas Speed 8.075" Pushrod, 3/8 diameter, .080 wall thickness

4-7703-1 - Comp Cams Hi-Tech Checking Pushrod 7.800'-8.800'

4-7701-1 - Comp Cams pushrod length checker. Adjustable from 5.800" to 6.800" in .050" increments

25-MDSdelete - TSP MDS Delete kit for 09+ Hemi

25-HEADG1621AEL - TSP Cylinder Head Gasket HEMI - Left 2009+ .0355 (Individual) 5.7L

25-HEADG1620AER - TSP Cylinder Head Gasket- Right HEMI 2009+ .0355 (Individual) 5.7L

25-9933AD - TSP Timing Cover Gasket Set HEMI (Seal + Gasket only)

25-6334AA - TSP HEMI Cylinder Head Bolt Kit -PER SIDE

25-4179AB - TSP Valve Cover Gaskets with Spark Plug Tube Seals HEMI

426-5038784AD - Hellcat lifters and Tray (Req

168-K31777 - Mahle HEMI Water Pump

Gasket-CAR 25-0763AA - TSP Hemi Balancer Bolt

168-MS19832 - Mahle HEMI Exhaust Manifold Gaskets MLS

426-6102430-AA - Hemi VVT Cam Bolt

25-2221AA - TSP Hemi MDS expansion plug (Single)

MSD Coils

New timing

Corsa CAI enclosed

1 7/8 long tube headers

No cat’s

Melling high pressure/volume oil pump

magnaflow mufflers

Diablo tuner currently only used for data-log

March 13, picked up car from shop would idle fine and be responsive on cold start for about 1 minute than start start fluctuating rpms and would try to die. After about two minutes you would have to give the gas pedal pressure to keep running.

March 15, went to take the car to a tuner after about an hour the tuners said something was mechanically wrong with my car making it impossible for them to tune. They said its either timing or pushrod length. They said they put a base tune in the car that when its mechanically right should move under its own power without trying to die just for moving around and low speeds.

March 16, mechanic shop finds that somehow diesel was mixed into my fuel tank! Drained and 91 octane put back into car. Still has the same issue with idling.

Shop also said the cars timing should be 38 degrees how ever at idle is currently 49, and when turned off sitting at 64.

Fast forward to today. Im headed to the shop to see if we can fix whatever is wrong with the car. The shop thinks its either the phaser lockout or timings is off a tooth. They are still looking into this.
We added the rear O2 sensors to the car. Brand new. Didnt change. However instead of heating circuits code we now get codes for rich in both banks.

Any thoughts would greatly be appreciated as we are having a hell of a time making this work. Now i have a diablo tuner with can tunes however i dont have the factory as a tune shop currently has their tune on the car. Can this be a tuning issue with timing or more likely mechanical? Should i have a phaser limiter or can this work with a full lockout? The tuner shop im using doesnt specialize in hemi motors however they say they've tuned them before.

New here i saw another thread with similar issues but no resolve currently.
Welcome to the forum. My recommendation is go to the HP tuners site and post your issue...someone might be able to chime in. IMO it sounds like a tune issue but without seeing the tune it is hard to tell what might be going on...almost sounds like when engine goes into close loop fueling gets wonky but that is just SWAG. Since you don't have cats there is no reason to run downstream O2 sensors which should be disabled in the tune. But in my neck of the woods shops won't do it due to EPA. You can do yourself with HP tuners but not with a diablo handheld. If you make the switch to HP tuners you can load up your last diablo tune, read it with an HP tuners interface and then post it on HP tuners forum which folks might be able to help diagnose your problem. Other than that, you need to find a competent shop (or email tuner like OST or Diablotoona) that knows how to tune FCA vehicles via diablo. Good luck.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Still fighting this car. I’m hoping diablotoona will have me fixed.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Just an update i got mine fixed. Was the tune. I’ve been working with Diabltoona and his first tune got mine to where i can move the car without dying. So if you have my symptoms above reach out to him!

After install these were my symptoms.
Cold start: car would start right up with the stock tune. Idle and rev fine for the first 60-180 seconds. Than would try to die. You would have to push on the gas pedal to keep it running like a carbed vehicle. if you tried to put it into gear it would immediately die. If you gave it gas while shifting to keep it runnin, it would put the transmission into like limp mode until rpms drop to 650-800 than engage transmission. You would have to flutter the gas pedal to keep it running.

·
Super Moderator
18,052 Posts
After install these were my symptoms.
Cold start: car would start right up with the stock tune. Idle and rev fine for the first 60-180 seconds. Than would try to die. You would have to push on the gas pedal to keep it running like a carbed vehicle. if you tried to put it into gear it would immediately die. If you gave it gas while shifting to keep it runnin, it would put the transmission into like limp mode until rpms drop to 650-800 than engage transmission. You would have to flutter the gas pedal to keep it running.
that's the symptoms of aftermarket cam / phaser limiting w/ a stock tune or a canned tune (for stock engine)

it will cold start then idle will drop down, surge and stall. then difficult to get to idle w/o constantly giving more throttle

proper tuning will get idle correct

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Correct. I was just listing the issues i was having before i got it fixed. My car was on a stock tune and had all these issues after i got the texas speed stage 2 cam and all tge rest installed. However Diablotoona got the beast running and driving.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts