Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone else tell me what they’re getting for fuel economy in the 5.7L hemi from 2009ish? I’m getting like 12 city which seems low. I haven’t done any mods at all. I’m at 31k miles

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
I had a 2010 RT Classic and was getting about 17-18 mpg city and about 26-27 mpg highway without hammering it.

·
Registered
2015 RT Shaker (STP/A8/FORGED/NAPPA/NO SUNROOF)
479 Posts
Depends on your driving style.

Reactions: Dennis H

·
Registered
2016 R/T Scat Pack
1,220 Posts
You're due for spark plugs at 30k by the book, although I changed mine every 40k up thru 163k miles. May not hurt to look, maybe a bum one or two. FCA now recommends 100k NGK Laser Iridum plugs. Rock Auto has the best price by a decent amount.

Reactions: JavierA

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You're due for spark plugs at 30k by the book, although I changed mine every 40k up thru 163k miles. May not hurt to look, maybe a bum one or two. FCA now recommends 100k NGK Laser Iridum plugs. Rock Auto has the best price by a decent amount.
Thanks for the response. I changed mine a thousand miles ago. Part of me is wondering if I did it wrong

·
Registered
2016 R/T Scat Pack
1,220 Posts
Thanks for the response. I changed mine a thousand miles ago. Part of me is wondering if I did it wrong
There really is no way to do them wrong. Did you verify the gaps were correct?

·
Registered
2018 Scat Pack SHAKER in Plum Crazy
1,956 Posts
In my SPS I get 12-13 in town stop and go. If actually moving with stop and go, 14-15. Then if it can actually go a couple miles at a time between stop, 17-19. And on the highway I have had it as high as 29.5!
To sum up, economy is impossible to compare between people, you can ask me and I can't even give you a real number. Mine varies as much as 250%! But I can say this, the 392 in the Challenger does use maybe 10% more then what my 5.7 did in my 2015 Charger, and my 2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee with 5.7 is much worse on gas then the 6.4 Challenger, BUT it is cheaper to drive with the gas being 50¢-60¢ cheaper per gallon, so the miles per dollar is better.
If you reset the economy, get on the highway and cruise at 65, with a 5.7 you should be over 30MPG until you have to use the brakes a lot, then just watch it drop.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
In my SPS I get 12-13 in town stop and go. If actually moving with stop and go, 14-15. Then if it can actually go a couple miles at a time between stop, 17-19. And on the highway I have had it as high as 29.5!
To sum up, economy is impossible to compare between people, you can ask me and I can't even give you a real number. Mine varies as much as 250%! But I can say this, the 392 in the Challenger does use maybe 10% more then what my 5.7 did in my 2015 Charger, and my 2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee with 5.7 is much worse on gas then the 6.4 Challenger, BUT it is cheaper to drive with the gas being 50¢-60¢ cheaper per gallon, so the miles per dollar is better.
If you reset the economy, get on the highway and cruise at 65, with a 5.7 you should be over 30MPG until you have to use the brakes a lot, then just watch it drop.
I’ve actually done that where I reset the fuel economy on the highway and at constant highway speed the best I’ve gotten is ~20mpg. I know it’s not going to be fantastic on gas I’m just stating to wonder if something’s not right

·
Premium Member
2,420 Posts
Can anyone else tell me what they’re getting for fuel economy in the 5.7L hemi from 2009ish? I’m getting like 12 city which seems low. I haven’t done any mods at all. I’m at 31k miles
Do you have a manual, or automatic?

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
I’ve actually done that where I reset the fuel economy on the highway and at constant highway speed the best I’ve gotten is ~20mpg. I know it’s not going to be fantastic on gas I’m just stating to wonder if something’s not right
Something's wrong. I have a 2016 Scat Pack Shaker 392 and I get at least 23-24 averaging 80 mph. I'll get easy 25-26 going 70 on the highway. Again there's a lot of factors like hills, etc, but I get this going to Baltimore from NC or going to Florida from NC.

·
Registered
2016 R/T Scat Pack
1,220 Posts
My old R/T would be around 25-26 mpg doing a reset on the highway even if running 87 gas. Somethings wrong.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Something's wrong. I have a 2016 Scat Pack Shaker 392 and I get at least 23-24 averaging 80 mph. I'll get easy 25-26 going 70 on the highway. Again there's a lot of factors like hills, etc, but I get this going to Baltimore from NC or going to Florida from NC.
That’s what I’m Thinking. Any ideas?

·
Super Moderator
14,021 Posts
Your mileage seems low. However, the older Hemis did not get as good gas mileage like the newer ones.

I found the EPA ratings to be pretty accurate. Your 5.7 should get 16 mpg. in the city, 25 on the highway and 19 overall.

My 2009 6.1 SRT gets worse mileage- 13 in the city, 19 on the highway and 15 overall. Although, I didn't buy it for mileage and even had to pay a $1,700 gas guzzler tax.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Your mileage seems low. However, the older Hemis did not get as good gas mileage like the newer ones.

I found the EPA ratings to be pretty accurate. Your 5.7 should get 16 mpg. in the city, 25 on the highway and 19 overall.

My 2009 6.1 SRT gets worse mileage- 13 in the city, 19 on the highway and 15 overall. Although, I didn't buy it for mileage and even had to pay a $1,700 gas guzzler tax.
Mine seems to be getting about what your 6.1 SRT is getting. I saw it’s rated for 16 city and 25 highway but I’m not even close to the highway rating and 4mpg off the city.

·
Registered
Furious Fuchsia 2010 Challenger R/T Classic A5
403 Posts
I don't really track my MPG anymore but I do monitor what I'm getting per tank (most fills are in the neighborhood of 17 gallons) in my 2010 R/T w/ A5 @ 85k. Recently, I'm driving the highways a bunch and getting 400-450 miles (22-25 mpg) on summer gas. (Typical around-town average per tank is 350-375 miles and winter gas sometimes goes down to a dismal 250mi/15mpg.)

Any change in what fuel you're buying - grade or brand? I know my car likes Sunoco, BP & Marathon but is noticeably a bit worse (mpg wise) running Sheetz, Shell or Kroger fuel. With the different additive packages which make each brand special, or perhaps none in the cheap Costo-type fuel, maybe your car just doesn't like a particular gas station?

Oh, if you don't have a locking gas cap, have you royally pissed anyone off or made any new enemies lately? You never know!

1 - 20 of 28 Posts