Dodge Challenger Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all!

This summer I bought a 2009 B5 R/T classic auto with only 46000 kms (25K miles or so). I also own a 2014 Chrysler 300C AWD and a couple years ago I previously owned a 2012 R/T Ram with 4:10 rears, a 2014 SRT8 auto and a long time ago a 6.1 SRT8 also auto.

This one by far seems the tamest, acceleration is weak compared to my 2014 300C (same motor). this surprises me since the challenger being muscle car inspired should be mapped far more aggressively that a 300C or a Ram pickup. The previous owner put a Mopar exhaust on the car and I'm questioning if the exhaust system is robbing low end torque? If I put it in manual mode and turn off the ESP it feels way better, like it should. Makes me wonder if the traction control is incredibly restrictive on the older models?

Would a tuner help solve this? Should I remove the crap exhaust (if it is crap? tbh it sounds ok but not great) and put a good borla, corsa, magnaflow etc? Any help would be appreciated as its really disappointing. Thanks!

·
Registered
2021 Widebody 392 6MT
111 Posts
Sounds like the TCM learned from the previous owner that it should drive like a Buick and not a Mopar. Theres a fuse you can pull to force the TCM into its re-learn mode. Once you get that figured out, take it for a drive. Drive like a complete ******* for a few minutes. The TCM records like 60 shifts or something before it selects a "setting". I did this with my 2013 SRT (I had a Diablo tuner so I didn't have to pull a fuse) and it made the trans far more responsive to the point where letting off throttle and braking to slow down would cause the trans to downshift by the time I had slowed down by 10mph. Almost felt like it had a shift kit after that.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sounds like the TCM learned from the previous owner that it should drive like a Buick and not a Mopar. Theres a fuse you can pull to force the TCM into its re-learn mode. Once you get that figured out, take it for a drive. Drive like a complete *** for a few minutes. The TCM records like 60 shifts or something before it selects a "setting". I did this with my 2013 SRT (I had a Diablo tuner so I didn't have to pull a fuse) and it made the trans far more responsive to the point where letting off throttle and braking to slow down would cause the trans to downshift by the time I had slowed down by 10mph. Almost felt like it had a shift kit after that.
That really worked great! Woke the car up even though I didn't drive like a complete shite head, only a partial one lol. I'll do this again with a little more aggression to it next time. Thanks!

·
Premium Member
The Bacon Hauler (‘12 Cop Charger)
11,402 Posts
What is the gear ratio of the car’s rear differential? If it has the 2.86 gears, acceleration from a dead stop can feel lacking. The more likely ratio it has is the 3.07, which isn’t terrible for acceleration, but it’s substandard compared to newer setups (8 speed auto trans have lower first gear, compensating quite nicely for the 3.06 ratio some are equipped with).

Reactions: Craag

·
Registered
283 Posts
A Bank Power Monster will unlock a lot of throttle response that is tuned out. My M6 seemed like a lazy dog in the midrange. Quick and deliberate throttle changes could go completely unnoticed. After plugging this thing in (like 5 minutes) calibrating it, and setting it to level 7 on sport mode it is a totally different car. You get the full grunt of the mid-range torque right when you demand it. If you get a diablo tuner or something like that you can tune it directly into the ECU which is what I plan on doing sometime soon.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
What is the gear ratio of the car’s rear differential? If it has the 2.86 gears, acceleration from a dead stop can feel lacking. The more likely ratio it has is the 3.07, which isn’t terrible for acceleration, but it’s substandard compared to newer setups (8 speed auto trans have lower first gear, compensating quite nicely for the 3.06 ratio some are equipped with).
I believe its the 3.07. I noticed when I test drove a 2016 with the super sport trak pack automatic it seemed alot gruntier for having the exact same motor. Unplugging the fuse helped alot. In the future I'll likely get a tuner and different exhaust set up. Maybe even some 6.1 bolt ons like the manifolds and intake.

·
Registered
283 Posts
I believe its the 3.07. I noticed when I test drove a 2016 with the super sport trak pack automatic it seemed alot gruntier for having the exact same motor. Unplugging the fuse helped alot. In the future I'll likely get a tuner and different exhaust set up. Maybe even some 6.1 bolt ons like the manifolds and intake.
The 6.1 intake looks good but the 6.4 is best

·
Registered
444 Posts
Oh so your '09 doesn't have the 3.06 gear ratio? This '11 I bought last winter has the 3.06 and Super Track Pack and to me it feels pretty strong. I've knocked down some 5.00 and 5.02 second runs 0-60 miles per hour according to the dash display in the "hidden menu". I do have straight pipe exhaust and K&N intake though.

I don't like the AutoStick mode for WOT driving. It doesn't feel faster to me at all. I'm pretty sure I can lay down faster 0-90 MPH times by leaving the trans in "D".

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Oh so your '09 doesn't have the 3.06 gear ratio? This '11 I bought last winter has the 3.06 and Super Track Pack and to me it feels pretty strong. I've knocked down some 5.00 and 5.02 second runs 0-60 miles per hour according to the dash display in the "hidden menu". I do have straight pipe exhaust and K&N intake though.

I don't like the AutoStick mode for WOT driving. It doesn't feel faster to me at all. I'm pretty sure I can lay down faster 0-90 MPH times by leaving the trans in "D".
No super trak pak on this one. Not sure the exact ratio but 09 it was either 3:07 or 07 on the auto. 3:92 with the manual.

The 6.1 intake looks good but the 6.4 is best
OhI didn't even know the 6.4 version works on the 5.7 something to consider then.

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
33,851 Posts
1 - 11 of 11 Posts