Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have a 2009 RT Challenger with 118k miles, CAI, catback, and canned Predator tune. The other day, it threw a code (P2181) for "Cooling system performance". Now it's throwing a code (P0520) for "Engine oil pressure sensor/switch circuit". I ran a "Watch and Record" on the oil pressure, and it's pretty much staying maxed out (99 psi) all the time, so to me that points to the actual sensor, not the sending unit. Yesterday though, was sitting at idle, and the temp gauge pegged out, high on the gauge, so I immediately shut it down. The day before that, the "lightning bolt" light came on in the dash, and the temp gauge fell to zero, like it wasnt working. I cycled the ignition, and it was working fine again. I, for the life of me, cant think of anyway these two issues could be related, but it's just odd that they happened within 24 hours of each other. I've got the replacement oil pressure sensor from the dealer and plan to replace it later this week. I've already replaced the radiator fan twice in this car (I live in Central/East Texas). Could the P0520 code be due to a bad oil press sensor, and the P2181 be due to some kind of short? Any ideas or advice would be greatly appreciated. Oorah

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
No ideas anybody?

·
Premium Member
6,492 Posts
Could be a loose or bad ground somewhere if you're seeing multiple sensor-related problems, thing is without the factory service manual it's going to be hard to diagnose where the problem is since you won't know what volt/omh values are within spec for the sensor as well as power source.

BTW, the oil pressure sensor and sending unit are the same thing just different terminology. A sending unit is a sensor. :)

·
Registered
540 Posts
Check for leaks near your electronics (fuse box, ecu, etc.). Might be getting some shorts :(

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yea i forgot to mention, going back to the stock tune was the first thing i did. Sorry.
Fml i had a feeling lol. Thanks guys.
Btw sorry yahooligan, you are right. I always learned the "sending unit" was essentially the oil pump lol. Learn somethin new everyday!
Any ideas where i should start looking for this short. Maybe underhood fuse box?

·
Registered
39 Posts
Just so you know I believe that both those sensors use a 5-volt reference circuit too.

If they are on the same 5 volt circuit as each other and you had a short in that circuit, it could cause you to set multiple codes for all the sensors on that circuit, not all at the same time either, so the codes could be related if they are on the same circuit.

I'd start by seeing if you can find a wiring diagram for those sensors, see what else is on the circuit and start looking for obvious places where the harness could have rubbed through, sharp corners of head/block etc.

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well, just got done replacing oil press sens, code is gone. Hooray! Lol. Have to see if the other one comes back or not. Was a little low on fluid, could have been causing it. Have to keep an eye on coolant level. Saw some unidentified liquid in the belly pan. Not alot, jus enough to make it wet. Thanks for the help guys

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
Yep, same issue on Vettes, the OPS pegs out at max when the electronic in the sensor get oil on them when the inside of the sensor leaks. Man, you got some MILES on that 09, my 09' just turned 16K.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts