Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I for the life of me cannot figure out this friggin rattle. I've had it up on jack stands and ramps, and banged around with a rubber mallet trying to locate the sound, and have come up with nothing. I even mentioned it to the alignment guy last time I took it in, and he didn't find a thing. He said it could be the brake shoes rattling, but I replace my own pads, and I know the proper clips were replaced, as well as a liberal coating of anti squeal. The rattle sounds like its coming from the passenger side front, and only is audible when I hit a significant bump. It's much more noticeable at 30 mph on a bumpy road and sounds horrible. Anyone have any experience with this or similar problems? I am stumped. The only possible cause I could fathom was sway bar bushings. Thoughts?

·
Premium Member
269 Posts
I have the same deal with my 2009 R/T. Except mine is from the drivers side. I haven't tracked the source down yet.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Mine did the same thing. It was a loose bolt on the passenger side sway bar end link. I figured it out when I installed a Hopnot kit that came with an adjustable link.

The hop not kit made even more noise so I swapped back the factory one and the noise was gone. A couple months later it stared again so I tightening the bolt and use some blue lock tight.

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Mine did the same thing. It was a loose bolt on the passenger side sway bar end link. I figured it out when I installed a Hopnot kit that came with an adjustable link.

The hop not kit made even more noise so I swapped back the factory one and the noise was gone. A couple months later it stared again so I tightening the bolt and use some blue lock tight.
Thank you! I will def be checking that this weekend.

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Never figured it out :/ dont think it was the end link bolt tho... They were tight as hell. The only thing i think it MIGHT be is the brake shoes rattling around when i hit a bump because it doesnt seem to do it when im on the brakes, but consistently does it when im not. Next time i have the wheel off, gonna plastidip those metal clips the pad snaps into and see if that fixes it.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Mine does the same thing, but I have heard it from both sides. For a while I thought it was the window rattling inside the door (I usually drive with the windows down) but I don't think that's the case. It does drive me nuts though. No idea what it is.

·
Registered
335 Posts
I have a 10 model. If you are talking about the rattle in the rear that sounds like tailpipes, rattling, hangers etc, or maybe a shock? It's the plastic piece that attaches the rear fascia to the bumper frame. It has some play in it, when the plastic hits the metal frame it rattles. One dealership said the thought they could fix by using Sheetmetal screws to secure, but the fascia would have to come off. I really didn't want that to happen, so I have been living with it. Seems like I can make it better for a while wedging things up under the rear fascia, but there is not a lot of room to work there and it's all by Braille. That's my .02 worth, if we are all talking about the same thing.

PS best heard windows up, no radio on, going over maybe a rr track crossing or asphalt street with many tiny bumps. You can hear with windows down, going slowly, under prolly 20 mph, with radio off if you listen. It's in the rear of the car.

·
Premium Member
181 Posts
Sounds like sway bar end links. This is a common problem with older LX platforms. There is a Technical Bulletin out for this issue. I changed my rear end links to the Spron end links just to upgrade and I could not believe the condition of the lower rubber bushing. Already cracked and deteriorated. 2012 R/T, purchased in June of 2012. You may be very correct about your brakes making the noise too. Check your caliper mounting bolts to make sure those are tight. I have a rule, always check on what you last did. With all respect to your work of course. Being our own back yard mechanic always saves big $$$$. Good luck, and I hope your find your noise soon. Car noises drive me nuts.

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'm pretty sure mine is in the front... I don't think it bushings though because bushings would squeak, not rattle, wouldn't they? This is like a metal to metal rattling. Idk. Yea I've pretty muched checked every bolt, nut, and screw, and couldn't find anything. Just weird that it does it only while I'm not on the brakes...

Funny thing you should mention those damn caliper bracket bolts. Had a bigggg kickin my self in the butt moment one day a few years back. I had taken The brackets off for some reason, and forgot to crank one side down, and one of the bolts CAME OUT and when I hit the brakes, the damn caliper swung out and scraped the hell out the inside of my rim. So pissed at myself for that one. Now instead of checking twice, I check 5 times lol. Good thing was I wasn't going very fast when it happened, or it could have been muchhhhh worse.

·
Premium Member
181 Posts
Lcpl Wade, your front sway bar actually has a ball joint type configuration. Even if the giant nuts where tight, you will have play. You could check this easily by jacking up your car and then using another jack (floor jack) under the tire, jack the tire up, not enough to over take your the height of your other jack (the one from your trunk), grab sway bar link to see if there is play. Obviously, think this situation over carefully so as to do it safely. No need to get smusssshhhed by your car. If that turns up negative, I would suggest taking your right side brakes apart and reassemble. Like I said in my earlier post, always go back to the last thing you did when noises show up.
Don't feel like your the only one to do the caliper bolt thing, done that one myself. Stupid huh!!!? FYI, my wife is an ex Marine. Worked crypto. Thanks for your service.

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
The big clue is no noise when brakes applied, my money is on the brake pad abutment clips you mentioned. I would get a new set of clips. Plastidip will keep the pads from moving as designed causing pad drag. Good Luck!

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Just wanted to give an update on this. After living with the rattle for FAR too long, I decided to really get in there and figure out what the hell was going on. As I'm inspecting the front brakes, (since I all but KNEW it had something to do with the brakes based on the rattle frequency) I notice one of the caliper piston boots looks kinda funny. I'm holding the caliper in my hand and tell the wife to go get in the car, crank it, and press the brakes. She presses it once, twice, upper piston is extending, lower piston is not. SOB. Checked the other side (the one I had the caliper bracket experience with) and start looking at its slider shafts, the ones that go into the bracket that the caliper bolts screw into. Looking closely at one of them, I notice a little bit of bend to it. Set it on the ground flat and rolled it, sure enough, there's a definite bow to it. Took it to the anvil, started trying to straighten it out, and got it pretty close, but not perfect. Those are made from tool steel or something, so I couldn't get it perfectly true. Said screw it, I've been looking for an excuse to get nice new shiny powder coated front calipers. Bought a set from rockauto that were PC red, put them on, boom, no more rattle. Rattle was prob be caused mostly by frozen piston, but the bent shaft def wasn't helping. Long story short, new calipers and hardware fixed it.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts