Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
434 Posts
I have no idea but I'm sure its quite costly... Engine, Transmission, ECU, Torque
converter, half shafts.... ( I read a recent article in Mopar magazine about SRT8's
commonly shredding the stock half shafts after engine mods or torque converter
replacement so you would definitely need good ones with a 6.4L monster) + install.

·
Premium Member
5,655 Posts
I would just swap the computers (probably $500-$800), drop in a 6.4 stroker from PPP (about $8-9k), drop in the 6 speed tranny and rear end off of the SRT's (probably another $3k or more). That should be strong enough to handle the power. Maybe even upgrade the brakes because you will need them unless you dont plan on using the 6.4L's power lol.

·
Registered
4 Posts
If you're planning on doing heavy modification (426 stroker engine with all its requirements, 6 spd tranny, brakes, suspension, halfshafts, etc) wouldnt gutting and rebuilding a v-6 be the cheaper/smarter route than doing the same to an SRT? I mean if you bought the 22k v6, thats about 18 grand left over compared to an SRT to spend on mods...and I would bet you could have just as good, if not better end product than just a stock srt. I mean if you buy a stock srt and end up buying all the same upgrades, seems like all you are doing is replacing more expensive SRT parts instead of cheaper V6 ones. Granted you would have to do most of the handy work yourself to make it work. Can anyone else back this up, or is still better to start from an SRT platform?

·
Premium Member
5,655 Posts
If you're planning on doing heavy modification (426 stroker engine with all its requirements, 6 spd tranny, brakes, suspension, halfshafts, etc) wouldnt gutting and rebuilding a v-6 be the cheaper/smarter route than doing the same to an SRT? I mean if you bought the 22k v6, thats about 18 grand left over compared to an SRT to spend on mods...and I would bet you could have just as good, if not better end product than just a stock srt. I mean if you buy a stock srt and end up buying all the same upgrades, seems like all you are doing is replacing more expensive SRT parts instead of cheaper V6 ones. Granted you would have to do most of the handy work yourself to make it work. Can anyone else back this up, or is still better to start from an SRT platform?
If you did all of the work yourself this would be the cheapest way to go. The labor costs would add up if you had someone do the work though. So it depends. Thats actually not a bad idea, it would be a killer sleeper. Thats for certain.

·
Registered
555 Posts
If you start with a V6 car and want to make it a full on 426 7.0L, with axle and brake upgrades you would be around $20,000++.

Give us a call if you have any more questions.

Thanks,

Tim C

·
Premium Member
5,655 Posts
that sounds about right tim. How much is the 426 short block going for right now?

·
Registered
4 Posts
If you start with a V6 car and want to make it a full on 426 7.0L, with axle and brake upgrades you would be around $20,000++.

Give us a call if you have any more questions.

Thanks,

Tim C
have you done this conversion on a v-6 yet? this is the way i want to go because I dont want to part with my ride

·
Registered
555 Posts
A 426 short block ranges from 5999.99 up, depending on what uprades you choose. So if you want to run 15PSI of forced induction, your engine will be an additional $1,500 or more. Also there is a $1,000 core charge if you do not have 6.1 engine block. So 5999.99 + 1,000= $6,999 +

Our PPP Stage 2 Heads are $2,195 with a $1200 core charge. If you do not have 6.1 heads for the core then it would be 2195+1200= $3395 for the heads.

Cams are normally $450

Headers: Kooks and American Racing are around $1300-1500

You will need a Intake manifold: Figure $1,000 core + if you want ported it will additional 699. So $1699 for the intake

The list can go on and on. Thats $13,843 and there are many, many parts left out and there hasnt been any labor added. A short block install in a V8 car will typically take 20 hours or so, X the labor rate of $90-$125 per hour. Prices vary from shop to shop.

The pricing above can be higher or lower all depending on which options you choose for your specific application.

If you are really serious about this project, give me a call and we will see what we can come up with.

No we have not done a full v6 to SRT/PPP 426 build.

·
Premium Member
5,655 Posts
Nice price break up tim. thanks, that really explains alot of the costs. With labor cost, that $13,843 could easily hit $20k.

A 426 short block ranges from 5999.99 up, depending on what uprades you choose. So if you want to run 15PSI of forced induction, your engine will be an additional $1,500 or more. Also there is a $1,000 core charge if you do not have 6.1 engine block. So 5999.99 + 1,000= $6,999 +

Our PPP Stage 2 Heads are $2,195 with a $1200 core charge. If you do not have 6.1 heads for the core then it would be 2195+1200= $3395 for the heads.

Cams are normally $450

Headers: Kooks and American Racing are around $1300-1500

You will need a Intake manifold: Figure $1,000 core + if you want ported it will additional 699. So $1699 for the intake

The list can go on and on. Thats $13,843 and there are many, many parts left out and there hasnt been any labor added. A short block install in a V8 car will typically take 20 hours or so, X the labor rate of $90-$125 per hour. Prices vary from shop to shop.

The pricing above can be higher or lower all depending on which options you choose for your specific application.

If you are really serious about this project, give me a call and we will see what we can come up with.

No we have not done a full v6 to SRT/PPP 426 build.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts