Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need Help before I take my Girl in the shop and I’m hoping someone else may be able to help. I am the Original Owner and this car has about 125K miles. She recently started sounding like the gears are either trying to engage or grind when it is in gear and I depress the clutch. I am trying to figure out if this would be signs that I may need to replace the clutch? Or simply get it looked at? I don’t drive it hard, no weekend racing, and I have had it since early 2009. I joust don’t want the garage to try ripping me off when I put it in the shop

·
Super Moderator
17,242 Posts
Some questions to try and narrow down symptoms / effects?

When you push the clutch in - does the car try to creep forward (as if the clutch is still engaged)?

clutch in / can you shift from gear to gear easily and smoothly? or do is there resistance or grinding

under acceleration, is there clutch slippage?
-example: you're in a given gear and under load you give more throttle, and rpms rise, but you're not getting additional acceleration?

this will help determine if you have:

worn out clutch
worn out slave cylinder
internal issues with transmission
with the miles, there's a few things to consider.

Clutch life is dependent on how its used / driver habits / miles accumulated

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Some questions to try and narrow down symptoms / effects?

When you push the clutch in - does the car try to creep forward (as if the clutch is still engaged)?

clutch in / can you shift from gear to gear easily and smoothly? or do is there resistance or grinding

under acceleration, is there clutch slippage?
-example: you're in a given gear and under load you give more throttle, and rpms rise, but you're not getting additional acceleration?

this will help determine if you have:

with the miles, there's a few things to consider.

Clutch life is dependent on how its used / driver habits / miles accumulated
When the clutch is pushed, it acts as it normally would.. it will shift as it always has when I shift gears... the noise also comes with a rattle that I can feel in the shifter, but there is no actual grinding or smell.

it seems that other than the recent onset of the noise with the clutch and the very little slip of the higher gears (I used to NOT be able to slip it out of gear without the clutch when driving on the highway), there hasn’t been much change.. I just don’t want a sudden failure of the clutch when I am away from home... I’ve had that on a different car about 30 years ago

·
Super Moderator
17,242 Posts
that's a tougher one to try and diagnose -

I haven't tried clutchless shifting on my Challengers - I did years ago on some other cars I had, but stopped figuring replacing a clutch was cheaper than rebuilding a transmission for worn out synchros.

yours could be a worn down clutch or you have internal wear with the transmission. Some units are built on the tighter side for tolerances and some are less so.

I've been changing the fluid in mine every 48K, and if it was severe service (mostly in-town or heavy use on track) I do every 24K fluid changes.

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
From the sounds you are describing I think you have a bad Pilot Barring and potentially a bad throw out barring also. If you are not capable of doing this service yourself. I suggest you have a shop just replace your clutch Piolet and throw out all at the same time. The labor shouldn’t increase as this is typically done on any clutch replacement job.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2020 Dodge Challenger Hellraisin Scat Pack
4,209 Posts
Agree with DakBuilder. Bad pilot bearing or throw out bearing.

Had a throw out bearing go bad in my Mustang at some point between 100K and 150K miles. One minute it was fine. The next minute and thereafter every time I pushed the clutch pedal down to shift the what proved to be the throw out bearing made a horrible screeching noise. Upon removal of the transmission the bearing was purple. It had seized.

Only way to know what's going is to drop the transmission and give all the hardware a close inspection. At 125K miles I'd just budget for a new clutch, pilot bearing, throw out bearing, and other clutch hardware that showed any signs of wear, and probably a flywheel resurfacing.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts