Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok everyone I know this has been a big discussion for all you die hard challenger owners.

I am finally done! With the rust that is. My rear 1/4 panels are pretty much gone at this point aswell as the dog legs behind the doors.

It is now 100% proven that the real culprit behind the rust on these beautiful ladies is caused by that foam insulation under the body.

I am currently getting body work done and I will keep you guys posted on the progress. I also wanted to add alot of tips that may or may not benefit anyone who owns or wants to own one in the future. Heres a bit of info before I get started. I bought the car as the second owner and it had 30k on it. So if my math is correct i put about 240000km on it in roughly 7-8 years. Yeah i love this thing and I'm a crazy Canadian who has burned off more rubber in this thing in the winter then i probably have in the summer. This baby loves the snow and the rain. Seriously people think I'm crazy but that car literally goes everywhere!

So heres a breakdown on what I've learned owning and driving this baby year round and i mean year round... for all you sceptical people its endured real Newbrunswick winters and I'm talking like a good 20000k driving in snow slush salt every darn year. So here it is.

This is a big one and I need to address it right away !!!!

- Parts for this year / model are all discontinued!!!!!! Yes you heard me you cant even buy a fart sniff for this car anymore, nothing!!!! So you better be handy.

Ok moving along, I will be giving a run down on what you are going to expect or atlease almost every big issue I've had since owning this car.

- Wheel bearings, wheel bearings, oh and some more wheel bearings. Luckily these are very easy to replace and its mainly just the front hubs. Hear that hum ? Get it done.

Next!

Balljoints ...ugh.... so many balljoints and bushings... uppers lowers there all over the damn place. The rubber boots like to wear out pretty much every year. Expect to replace those front end parts on the regular. Easy way to check the uppers and lowers just once in awhile turn the wheel stick your head in and have a look. Theres actualy lots of clearance and you can see exactly what your looking for.

Next!

Control arms and sway bar links, now these are not as common but still pretty damn common. Every 2-3 years. Now here is something most people complain about and it's something I noticed on my own. Do you get that kaklunk on small bumps ? I know you know what I'm talking about if not you dont own one. It's called stabilizer link pins. Its these two little rods that point up and down. I'm telling you right now it takes 2 minutes to replace and holy potato! I'm telling you your car will feel like a million bucks. Replace as soon as you feel like the front of your car is a little bouncy!

Moovin on,

Tires...

And on,

This is for the cold blooded people like myself. If you have a garage princess she will be ok. This is as soon as the weather starts to freeze!
The pumps!!!! Omg I cant stress this enough !! Warm!!!! It up!!!!! If not I guarantee you will bust your power steering pump before leaving your lot. I know because it happened 3 years in a row. Owell play stupid games win stupid prizes. Simply use that remote start and actually let it run for a good 7- 10 minutes yeah what ever Greta who cares !! Anyways yeah warm it up good or you'll have a nice puddle under your car with no steering.

Ok what's next,

Valve cover gaskets, not a huge issue but a big one if not treated with respect. Replaced both sides once and it was last year. Noticed some oil running out the seals no big deal from my perspective. I actualy left it unattended for a very long time before tackling it on my own. Loosing oil ? Change them. It's just coil packs off cover off zing zing zing new rubber gasket zing a zing.

Next!

I bet you thought brakes were next, congratulations but guess what you're in for a shocker. I've only replaced them twice!! What???? yeah way. These brembos are seriously cats cornholes. Quite possibly the easiest brakes to replace I've ever seen. 2 pins a plate and pads per caliper.

Jump right into the caliper itself, so I'm kinda cheap and I've only had to replace one. And brembo is like mega expensive so I had to buy after market for wayyyyyyyy cheaper. If I was rich it would be brembo everything! Anyways the piston stopped retracting so I just got a new caliper no biggy.

Then we got rotors, guess what ? Brembo again. And man you know you got quality parts when a 4000lb car has had the same slotted rotors since birth and this is 2020 now. With a boat load of mileage. I literaly just replace the front 2 for the very first time. I bought brembos!! Yay ( was on sale relax ).

Overall the whole braking system on these cars I would give them a very solid 10/10. Go brembo!

Heres a big one!

I know people have had this issues and I might be able to help.

The infamous rear clunk.... oh boy this is a nasty one. Now I want to provide a bit of light on this very grim scenario. So I'm going to ask you something first. Have you had this problem ? Did almost every mechanic tell you that it's your rear dif ??? Because 5-6 shops told me that and literally thought they were all full of crap ! Guess what... they were all of them! Crooks I call it. And dodge is the worse. Ok so back to the rear clunk. It still sucks, anyways so this noise and i will explain here. Your driving cool got the window down your a free bird cruising around in this beast and all of a sudden CLACK CLACK CLACK CLACK!! omg wtf is happening??? Then it's gone ok mini heart attack. And then omg CLACK CLACK CLACK CLACK !!!! OMG my ears my poor car oh ones. It may not be the dif at all it's the rear axle. Huh well yeah its connected to the dif duh... yeah you're right but where else is it connected to ? Your rear hub assembly.... let's take a look. Hmm wierd you got the wheel off and all the other parts and for some reason you cant remove the hub. Guess what its fussed and I mean fussed!!!! Like melted, onto your inner axle nut. Yeah like I said play stupid games win stupid prizes. Remember how fun it is to burn those tires ding ding ding you have successfully welded your axle to the hub. You require a torch to cut the inner end off if want to keep that A shaped braket that holds everything together because its aluminium and very very very expensive. So replace the axle and new hub of course and your back to laying some strips down.

That's about all I can think about right now and I hope some of this was helpful, I know there is more to add but I'm just mentioning the main repairs and I will add more as I go. I am in the midst of bringing everything back to life because I love this car so much.

Resized_20200323_060249.jpeg
Resized_20200323_060256.jpeg

Mileage

20200313_121448.jpg

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
18,616 Posts
Shame you have to spend money to get what you already should have...

A Guy

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Shame you have to spend money to get what you already should have...

A Guy
Honestly it's mostly caused from all that winter driving. I guess I knew at some point it would have needed to get done.

·
Registered
2018 Scat Pack SHAKER in Plum Crazy
1,963 Posts
Well it looks like it is getting a great repair. After all, it is just metal and paint. (And money!!!)
My 2006 Charger was starting to go in the same place, It was 9 years old, and almost 100K miles. I got decent money for it, so I wasn't upset.

·
Registered
2011 R/T STP M6
66 Posts
Shes all done ! :cool:
Looks good man, great work on it. Can't spot the difference from all the work being done on it from the pictures.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts