Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey,
Hoping you can help. My 2009 SRT8 Challenger is stuck in the garage. Turns over great & plenty of gas. Just dosn't fire. Checked the fuses in the trunk, they seemed fine. Hate to tow it to the dealer for an easy fix. Any ideas? Thanks for any help!

·
Premium Member
919 Posts
A couple of things to try, if you have a key FOB use it in the dash (remove the push plug) to see it the ignition resets and works. The other is to disconnect the battery for a few minutes and see if that doesn't reset the the module.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey Glenn, I pulled the ingnition plug and used the key... same deal. Disconnected the battery for 15 minutes... no change. I hooked a OB2 scanner under the dash... no error codes. Do you think it could be bad gas. i filled up right before this happened. Should I use dry gas (isopropyl alcohol) ?

·
Registered
1,539 Posts
Hmm, could be a PCM issue...but you would think it would throw an error code...how weird....if you turn the key you should hear the fuel-pump cycle if turned to just acccesory (fuel pumps are loud as hell on these cars when cycling) but do keep us updated, I have the same motor and that is just weird...we have 16 spark plugs, sucker should start up.

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Bad gas would still try to "run" or fire....would probably just stumble a lot and die easily. This problem sounds like "fire", as in "none" getting to the plugs. I'm old school so y'all kick me in the slats if you can't do this on the new cars for some reason. ......... put an "inductive" timing light on one of the spark plug wires and have somebody turn the car over while you push the trigger of the timing light. I have an old Zenon timing light that will flash like hell if a spark is being sent down the wire. I don't see how that would hurt a thing but it sure would tell you if the plugs are getting juice. If no plugs getting juice, then you can eliminate gas, compression, ignition problems. Now, your feed to the coils is not happening because the coils are fine. If one was bad, you would still start and run on 6 cylinders. Just a start to track it down. Hope you get er going!

·
Premium Member
919 Posts
The guys that replied to this are right on on the advice. Unfortunately anything you find out using their methods will probably not lead to a simple fix and the dealer will probably be your next step. I guess if the fuel pump isn't working you could check the fuse but if that blew there's probably a reason for it. Let us know how you make out. Thanks

·
Registered
1,883 Posts
Bad gas would still try to "run" or fire....would probably just stumble a lot and die easily. This problem sounds like "fire", as in "none" getting to the plugs. I'm old school so y'all kick me in the slats if you can't do this on the new cars for some reason. ......... put an "inductive" timing light on one of the spark plug wires and have somebody turn the car over while you push the trigger of the timing light. I have an old Zenon timing light that will flash like hell if a spark is being sent down the wire. I don't see how that would hurt a thing but it sure would tell you if the plugs are getting juice. If no plugs getting juice, then you can eliminate gas, compression, ignition problems. Now, your feed to the coils is not happening because the coils are fine. If one was bad, you would still start and run on 6 cylinders. Just a start to track it down. Hope you get er going!
No plug wires on these motors. 8 coil packs firing 16 plugs. I'm opening the service manual CD right now.

·
Registered
1,883 Posts
Below from the service manual. If the car has been sitting for some time it could be battery voltage....

********************************************************************************

ENGINE CRANKS BUT DOES NOT START

For a complete wiring diagram, refer to the Wiring Information.

Possible Causes

UNDERCHARGED BATTERYSYSTEM DTCS PRESENTPOWERTRAIN POWER AND GROUND CIRCUIT(S) OPEN OR HIGH RESISTANCEPOWERTRAIN FUSES OPENFUEL DELIVERY SYSTEMFUEL CONTAMINATIONINADEQUATE SPARKENGINE MECHANICAL PROBLEM

<A name=CHR4f297848a96e10048dbaf010cc9bb23d14>1. UNDERCHARGED BATTERY

NOTE: The battery must be fully charged and in good condition. An undercharged battery may produce invalid test results. <A name=CHR4f297848a96e10048dbaf010cc9bb23d18>1.Test the battery in accordance with the Service Information.

Were any problems found?

Yes

No

• Go To 2

2. SYSTEM DTCS PRESENT

NOTE: If the battery was low, make sure the battery is properly charged and attempt to start the vehicle. Crank the engine for 15 seconds, 3 consecutive times. This will allow any DTCs to set that may have been erased due to a dead battery. <A name=CHR4f297848a96e10048dbaf010cc9bb23d28>1.With the scan tool, select System DTCs to read DTCs in all modules. If any DTCs are present, perform the appropriate diagnostic procedure before continuing with this test. If a no response condition is detected in any module, (Refer to 28 - DTC-Based Diagnostics/MODULE, Powertrain Control (PCM) - Diagnosis and Testing) and perform the appropriate diagnostic procedure.

Were any problems found?

Yes

No

• Go To 3

3. PCM POWER OR GROUND CIRCUIT OPEN OR HIGH RESISTANCE <A name=CHR4f297848a96e10048dbaf010cc9bb23d37>1.Turn the ignition off.2.Disconnect the PCM harness connector(s).3.Using a 12 volt test light, check all PCM power and ground circuits.

NOTE: The test light must be illuminated and bright. Compare the brightness to that of a direct connection to the battery.

Is the test light illuminated and bright when checking each of the PCM power and ground circuits?

Yes

No

• Go To 4

4. OPEN FUSE(S) <A name=CHR4f297848a96e10048dbaf010cc9bb23d51>1.Inspect all of the fuses in the PDC and TIPM. If any open fuses are found, check the related circuit(s) for a short to ground or high resistance.

Were any problems found?

Yes

No

• Go To 5

5. CHECKING THE FUEL DELIVERY SYSTEM

NOTE: Verify that the fuel tank is not empty before continuing. <A name=CHR4f297848a96e10048dbaf010cc9bb23d61>1.Perform the diagnostic procedure for CHECKING THE FUEL DELIVERY SYSTEM. (Refer to 29 - Non-DTC Diagnostics/Drivability - Gas - Diagnosis and Testing) .

Were any problems found?

Yes

No

• Go To 6

6. FUEL CONTAMINATION <A name=CHR4f297848a96e10048dbaf010cc9bb23d70>1.Check the fuel system for contamination in accordance with the Service Information.

Was any evidence of fuel contamination found?

Yes

No

• Go To 7

7. CHECKING THE IGNITION COIL OPERATION <A name=CHR4f297848a96e10048dbaf010cc9bb23d79>1.Perform the diagnostic procedure for CHECKING THE IGNITION COIL OPERATION. (Refer to 29 - Non-DTC Diagnostics/Drivability - Gas - Diagnosis and Testing) .

Were any problems found?

Yes

No

• Go To 8

8. CHECKING THE ENGINE MECHANICAL SYSTEM <A name=CHR4f297848a96e10048dbaf010cc9bb23d88>1.Perform the diagnostic procedure for CHECKING THE ENGINE MECHANICAL SYSTEM. (Refer to 29 - Non-DTC Diagnostics/Drivability - Gas - Diagnosis and Testing) .

Were any problems found?

Yes

No

• Test complete. Refer to any Technical Service Bulletins that may apply.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
When I use the key manually, I don't hear any noises coming from the trunk area. There should be some type of fuel pump noise back there right? When I turn the key from accesory to run, there are threee clicks under the hood. Is this normal? Maybe relays or something under the hood, on the passenger side?

·
Registered
1,883 Posts
I haven't paid attention to mine. Do you know how to place the EVIC in the extended mode? You can check the battery voltage.
Has the car been sitting for a while? If so has the battery been in a charger?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hey, the battery is on a trickle charger, engine turns over easily. I don't know what an EVIC is, or how to place the EVIC in the extended mode? Can you explain?

Thanks

·
Registered
1,883 Posts
Electronic Vehicle Information Center.

The display below the speedometer that shows fuel economy, tire pressure status, audio settings and so-on.

Looking for a link now........

·
Registered
1,883 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
So I don't hear the fuel pump at all, where is the fuse for that? I checked the trunk and everything looked good. I did the ECIM and it says my battery is 12.4volts. I s that too low?
Thanks for helping the newbie!!!!

·
Premium Member
919 Posts
The fuel pump fuse should be in the fuse box in the trunk next to the battery. It should be the number 6 fuse per another thread I found about this topic.

·
Registered
1,883 Posts
So I don't hear the fuel pump at all, where is the fuse for that? I checked the trunk and everything looked good. I did the ECIM and it says my battery is 12.4volts. I s that too low?
Thanks for helping the newbie!!!!

A fully charged battery should be at least 12.67 volts. Was that reading at the EVIC or a volt meter at the battery? Was the ignition on at the time?

If the starter appears to be running strong battery voltage is not likely to be the issue. Did you review post #10?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Got it to the dealer.... bad fuel pump! Thanks for all the help. Pretty expensive, but could be worse. Big thanks to Rpaulg87, nice call! Thanks to everyone else also.

·
Registered
2 Posts
New to the forums so I'm posting to this existing thread even though my problem is slightly different. My 09 SRT8 won't start, won't even turn over. It's a weekend driver for me but it sat for a few weeks and wouldn't start. Interior lights and electronics work, fuel pump cycles but no fire at all. Charged battery, disconnected negative battery cable in the trunk for 20 minutes but same problem. EVIC says battery is at 12.6 volts checked ground from battery in the trunk and it seems secure, checked negative terminal in engine compartment and it seems secure. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Before I have it towed to the dealership.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts