Dodge Challenger Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
just wanted to post this information for whoever ends up replacing blend door actuators that if 'stuck" can drain your car battery in less then 24 hours.

after alot searching, i couldnt determine how many actuators i had in the challenger, i ordered two but ended up needing three.

I was told by the dealer-rip that i had only one maybe two and about 8 hours to replace them, (they charge $130/hr) and $168 for each actuator. haha no thank you.

ordered three for $30 each and will be changing them myself, it wont be 8 hours..

note you will need to run a calibration after install. see pics.
Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Audio equipment Hood Automotive design
Hood Automotive tire Automotive fuel system Automotive lighting Motor vehicle
Blue Font Parallel Screenshot Rectangle
Font Parallel Slope Diagram Screenshot
Blue Product Font Material property Screenshot
Font Screenshot Number Document

·
Premium Member
The Bacon Hauler (‘12 Cop Charger)
11,402 Posts
You shouldn’t have to replace all 3, and in fact may want to skip at least one of them (the more difficult of the 3 is really difficult to get at).

Is the battery drain the only symptom you have indicating a problem? No repetitive clicking sounds for 30-60 seconds after startup and after HVAC on/off?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
it started with a rapid clicking coming from deep inside the dashboard closer to the windshield for 2 days.

on the third day my car struggled abit to start. i went to stop at the gas station, turned off the car and opened the door thats when i heard the second rapid clicking coming from behind the instrument cluster.

when i was outside the car i could still hear the clicking. it was after i was done my shift of 10 hours that day to come out and find my battery with no juice in it to start the car.

i thought it was the alternator or a short-circuit somewhere blowing fuses but my multimeter showed me the alternator was fine and working properly when i tested it by running the a/c, lights on, rpm 2,000. passed the test.

i checked the starter but that turned out to be all good. next to google the clicking and then Google it draining the battery..sure enough a 'stuck' / broken actuator can drain the battery within 3 days on older batteries. if two actuators are 'stuck' i could see it draining at a faster rate.

took all 3 out, very easy and only took me 1 hour but the passenger side was abit of a pain. i noticed the one gear has some teeth that look worn down, small and not like the rest of the teeth on that gear.
Automotive tire Font Camera lens Cameras & optics Auto part
Circuit component Gear Electronic component Computer hardware Font
Circuit component Passive circuit component Gear Computer hardware Hardware programmer
Gear Automotive tire Bicycle part Circuit component Engineering

i am going to find the positive / negative sides hook it up and see whats going on with them. if they all are fine and the clicking was caused by something else that upset the actuators then i guess ill need the entire electrical system tested.

for the battery something was draining it because my smart charger that has a microprocessor in it and has the ability to throw a battery into Reconditioning, showed me a fault code that meant due to a load it cant flip the battery into Reconditioning Mode. it was undercharged for too long which i noticed before i placed the battery charger on it so i knew it would need Reconditioning.

·
Premium Member
The Bacon Hauler (‘12 Cop Charger)
11,402 Posts
That clicking was most likely from the one in the center behind the glovebox (adjacent to blower motor). That’s the most common to go out, and when it does it will make that noise you describe.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
the one a broken gear shaft when i hooked it up to the battery i seen the way it moved so had a closer look and made the discovery.

2 pics for comparison.

me hooking it up to the battery only will show me which one is broken. the one that was stuck & draining my battery is unknown at this point.
Reflex camera Camera lens Digital camera Camera accessory Gadget
Circuit component Automotive tire Gear Passive circuit component Electronic device

·
Registered
Plum 2019 SXT AWD
779 Posts
From my understanding those little motors use wire strands as the "brushes" and with time they break off. I started to take a bad one apart, but they are a pain. The little motors are pretty cheap if people want to go that way in the future. That is certainly a broken shaft though. Cannot say I have ever heard of that happening before.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
interesting, well i have time to burn while i wait for the third actuator to arrive, ill see if i can get that little motor running at 14.4v (fully charged drill battery) see what happens.

ill try to take the top shell off for a inside view for when it's running. if all goes well and i can refurbish the 2 of them ill have spare parts on hand since ive read the aftermarket ones i bought might not last 12 years like the factory ones did lol

1 - 8 of 8 Posts