Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi everyone. UK challenger owner here.

The car is a 2010 3.5l V6 SE.

I recently has issues with the water pump failing, along with the radiator leaking. So new water pump replaced, new thermostat, new radiator. System completely bled of air. Car at idle is getting up to running temperature and not overheating.

However, on engine cut off it makes this noise now (never did before)

And I also noticed a puddle of what looks like oil from underneath, not a massive amount.

Eye Plant Rim Circle Door

Inspected underneath and it appears to be coming from the pipe at the bottom of the a/c condenser. I suspect that this could be a leaking transmission fluid pipe or something like that, but I'm not certain.

I'd really appreciate any help relating to the noise in the video, and understanding what the connection is at the bottom of the a/c condenser. My car has been off the road for a month now and it's my only means of transport.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
Furious Fuchsia 2010 Challenger R/T Classic A5
629 Posts
Transmission cooler is the top several rows of the aircon condenser - the hoses are both on the top right/driver side. If it was ATF I'd expect it to be red rather than brown.

Air hissing obviously seems like a sealing issue - didn't miss any gaskets and double checked everything was properly torqued? Never worked with that ancient LH platform 3.5L v6 so I have no specific knowledge. I'd keep tracing and narrowing down the real source of that oil though.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Transmission cooler is the top several rows of the aircon condenser - the hoses are both on the top right/driver side. If it was ATF I'd expect it to be red rather than brown.

Air hissing obviously seems like a sealing issue - didn't miss any gaskets and double checked everything was properly torqued? Never worked with that ancient LH platform 3.5L v6 so I have no specific knowledge. I'd keep tracing and narrowing down the real source of that oil though.
On further investigation the oil seems to be coming out nearer the bottom of the condenser. Until I take the bumper off I can't properly look.

Not to sure with regards to the air leak. It was the mechanic who did it all, not myself. It's strange as when everything was first replace and the system was being burped of all the air, it didn't happen. It just came out of nowhere yesterday. I'm suspecting that there may still be air in the system anyway. Unfortunately the previous owners completely f'd up the bleeder valve on top of the block so I can't release the air out of it and have the coolant running through it.

I'm going tor remove the temp sensor at the weekend and add more coolant until it runs from the sensor hole and make sure there is no air in it at all.

Edit: thanks for your response.

·
Premium Member
The Bacon Hauler (‘12 Cop Charger)
9,663 Posts
Hi everyone. UK challenger owner here.

The car is a 2010 3.5l V6 SE.

I recently has issues with the water pump failing, along with the radiator leaking. So new water pump replaced, new thermostat, new radiator. System completely bled of air. Car at idle is getting up to running temperature and not overheating.

However, on engine cut off it makes this noise now (never did before)

And I also noticed a puddle of what looks like oil from underneath, not a massive amount.

View attachment 1033433

Inspected underneath and it appears to be coming from the pipe at the bottom of the a/c condenser. I suspect that this could be a leaking transmission fluid pipe or something like that, but I'm not certain.

I'd really appreciate any help relating to the noise in the video, and understanding what the connection is at the bottom of the a/c condenser. My car has been off the road for a month now and it's my only means of transport.

Thanks in advance.
I don't think that rushing air noise at engine stop is a sign of anything wrong with it. I hear it on mine sometimes, not every time, but definitely sometimes. I believe it's the result of an exhaust stroke in one of the cylinders occurring just as the engine's rotating parts come to a stop, but I could be wrong there.

Whatever it is, I wouldn't worry about it too much. Now the leaking oil/fluid, that is something I would definitely want to get figured out and arrested if possible.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts