Dodge Challenger Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is the a process of swapping out the Stock air cleaner assembly (part# 4861704AB) on a 2010 Challenger RT with a 2011 or new Assembly (part# 52022309AB) or new air box (part# 5038441AE) in order to use a Stock 2015 Hellcat air filter (part# 68172459AA). The stock air filter on the 2010 model is a straight forward rectangle. On the 2011 on up, the air box use somewhat of a Hexagon shaped filter. Any advise would be appreciated

·
Registered
2016 R/T Scat Pack
1,534 Posts
Having had a 2010 R/T for 10 years and having done various mods here are my thoughts. The CAI does very near nothing other than looks and a little sound. Since 2010 doesn't have the pop out light center the Hellcat box is of no help. Order the intake tube from a Charger, it doesn't have that big ugly wart (silencer) on it. Get a dry K&N, AEM, etc air filter. I had a K&N CAI kit and it looked good but I would do as I said above if I was to do it over.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Having had a 2010 R/T for 10 years and having done various mods here are my thoughts. The CAI does very near nothing other than looks and a little sound. Since 2010 doesn't have the pop out light center the Hellcat box is of no help. Order the intake tube from a Charger, it doesn't have that big ugly wart (silencer) on it. Get a dry K&N, AEM, etc air filter. I had a K&N CAI kit and it looked good but I would do as I said above if I was to do it over.
Do you know the specific Model year for the Charger Intake Tube or Mopar part # by chance?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have the one on the right side of the picture, the one with the "Big Wart" on my 2010 Challenger RT. I saw on Youtube that some people are using the 2015 Hellcat dry paper air filter, because it has better air flow. The shape of the filter seem to fit the air cleaner box on 2011 and up for the Challenger. The shape of the filter is of a Hexagon shape, the filter on the stock 2010 air filter is rectangle. I thought that a swap of the air cleaner assembly would allow me to use the Hellcat filter. I DO NOT know if this swap is possible. I REALLY appreciated any suggestion and guide to find some kind of answer to my question. I will look online and at salvage yard for this Charger intake tube

·
Super Moderator
17,261 Posts
the 2010 has the power steering reservoir and a differently shaped coolant reservoir. The airbox was sized differently to accommodate those items in the engine bay

The '11+ versions have a different shape since a 5.7 airbox doesn't have the p/s reservoir and the coolant reservoir is shaped differently.

another item is the lower airbox / apron opening was round on the '08 - '10 models and is triangular shape on '11+

I've attached a shot of my '16 SP Shaker - even though this is the CAI setup unique to a Shaker, the shape of the airbox is the same for the standard enclosed box. To illustrate the different coolant tank and lack of p/s reservoir
Vehicle Auto part Car Engine Automotive exterior

Reactions: A Guy

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I appreciate all of the suggestions and comments here, the have been very informative and helpful in the question I posed. I should ask question sooner on this Challenger forum.

·
Registered
2016 R/T Scat Pack
1,534 Posts
1 - 8 of 8 Posts