Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2010 Challenger RT
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Tried jumping numerous of times, but it will only crank. Also the day before it stopped starting the battery light was on, and the brand new drive belt was squeaking.

·
Premium Member
5,096 Posts
Tried jumping numerous of times, but it will only crank. Also the day before it stopped starting the battery light was on, and the brand new drive belt was squeaking.
Okay, back up...

When was the battery light illuminated, while the engine was running or before trying to start?

Regarding the drive belt, are you certain it was routed correctly? It’s actually easier than it should be to get one on in the wrong configuration.

If in doubt, check the tensioner. It has lines on it indicating when it’s maxed out or still within spec. If it’s maxed out with a new belt, odds are the belt may not be tight enough to properly charge the battery.

·
Registered
2010 Challenger RT
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply, battery light popped on while driving and I will get back to you when I check the tensioner and belt.

·
Premium Member
5,096 Posts
Thanks for the reply, battery light popped on while driving and I will get back to you when I check the tensioner and belt.
Then you have some sort of charging or wiring problem that will have to be addressed at some point. But as long as the battery is good (no bad cells, etc.) and has at least 12.6 volts, the car should start.

Now, once running, if there an issue with the charging system, it won’t stay running for a long time, as the battery will slowly discharge until it is too weak to keep the engine running.

Nevertheless, the engine should still start if the battery is good...

How old is the battery?

Do you have a way to test its resting voltage?

What about a way to charge it if it is low/discharged?

·
Premium Member
2,189 Posts
Bingo!

The problem isn't the battery. It could be the alternator, but I suspect the new belt drive first.
I hope you solve the problem.

·
Registered
2018 Scat Pack SHAKER in Plum Crazy
930 Posts
Okay, back up...

When was the battery light illuminated, while the engine was running or before trying to start?

Regarding the drive belt, are you certain it was routed correctly? It’s actually easier than it should be to get one on in the wrong configuration.
Yeah someone else did that recently, if the belt change preceded this, good thing to check. Why was the belt changed anyway? Was there a previous problem?

·
Registered
11 Posts
My 2010 R/T Classic had the same issue a while back. Ended up being a relay for the fuel system.

·
Premium Member
5,096 Posts
1 - 10 of 10 Posts