Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hows it going everyone!
Im new here and to be honest i sighned up because i recently discovered i have a coolant leak. At first i thought it was the gasket thats between the water pump assy and the engine block . i traced the leak at an area where the pump assy is bolted to the engine because coolant was depositing in the gap between the lower thermostat housing and engine block. so i bought a gasket for the repair. upon further inspection and taking some pics i found a hairline fracture where the bolt is screwed in ( could this happen by over tightening the bolt?). i attached two pics one with a close up of the crack (cicled in black) and the other with a wider view. im no expert but its not on the water pump assy but on the engine block? can someone help me with what to do about it and especially if i should take it to the dealer. its been ten years sense i perchased the car new so no warranty. its a 5.7 liter v8 with 55,000 miles and no street racing just gentle driving in the city and a few times to vegas for the past ten years. does this happen to a engine thats treated so well and only 5,500 miles per year ?
help is much appreciated

Thanks
john

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
9,310 Posts
The spot you are showing is not the block, it is the timing chain cover. It sits between the block and water pump. It could be the cover or seal between the cover and block.

Below is the back side of a cover off a 5.7 jeep.

·
Premium Member
2018 Scat Pack SHAKER in Plum Crazy
3,628 Posts
I don't see a crack, I see a die casting parting line though.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
does the timing chain cover contain coolant? I don’t
I have no mechanic experience but do you think it can be replaced as easy as the water pump Assy?
hard to find more info without taking to a trustworthy mechanic (which I haven’t had the need for the past ten years)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I don't see a crack, I see a die casting parting line though.
It’s there cause it leaks into the gap above it and down the engine to the floor. I don’t know how that happened but I have no other way of knowing unless I remove the water pump assembly. It’s constantly wet. I could verify if I knew for certain what that area is and does (I have circled in black).

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
9,310 Posts
does the timing chain cover contain coolant? I don’t
I have no mechanic experience but do you think it can be replaced as easy as the water pump Assy?
hard to find more info without taking to a trustworthy mechanic (which I haven’t had the need for the past ten years)
Yes, coolant passes through the top to holes and at the opening at the very top of the cover (opening is almost triangular in shape). When the water pump is serviced, the bolts that secure the pump also secure the timing cover to the block.

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
9,310 Posts
The location you showed in your pics is the timing chain cover...not the engine block. So if it is cracked, just the cover needs to be replaced.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
that’s great thanks Tatum!
Can anyone recommend a timing chain cover? Mopar is ridiculously expensive.

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
24,027 Posts
You'll only find the cover from Mopar, and looks like a dealer has the lowest price I can find. Assuming your car is an automatic?

$281.60 + $16.90 shipping = $298.50 + tax if any. Check with a local dealer to see if they can beat that without shipping

A Guy

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
9,310 Posts
Dam that’s expensive!
I’m going to be replacing it myself any device ?
Yeah, get/rent a tool like this to remove and install the damper.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
This looks to be much harder then replacing the gasket on the water pump. How much you guys think the dealer would charge me? I quickly read the link TaTum send me (thanks) and I’m shiting bricks on how much work that is. Is there anything else I could do?

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
9,310 Posts
It is really not that bad. Hardest part is removing the harmonic damper. Basically put the car on ramps:

1) remove the bottom engine shields
2) drain the coolant
3) slide the fan through the bottom
4) remove the belt/pulleys/tensioner/damper
5) disconnect the heater tubes
6) remove the water pump
7) use a wet/dry vac to suck coolant from the rest of the block
8) remove the timing cover

You should not have to take off the front clip or radiator. The key is having the correct damper removal/installation tool. It's at least half days worth of work.

·
Registered
2020 Dodge Challenger Hellraisin Scat Pack
3,710 Posts
It is really not that bad. Hardest part is removing the harmonic damper. Basically put the car on ramps:

1) remove the bottom engine shields
2) drain the coolant
3) slide the fan through the bottom
4) remove the belt/pulleys/tensioner/damper
5) disconnect the heater tubes
6) remove the water pump
7) use a wet/dry vac to suck coolant from the rest of the block
8) remove the timing cover

You should not have to take off the front clip or radiator. The key is having the correct damper removal/installation tool. It's at least half days worth of work.
My two cents if the cover is leaking and the above work needs to be done for a 2010 with 55K miles I'd budget for a new water pump, T-stat, and a full refill of fresh coolant.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts