Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, i have been looking on the forums for a couple months now and have learned so much from all these posts. Anyway, I just bought a new dwb challenger se with the stock radio. It does have sirius. However, I want to upgrade to the mygig. My question is which one do I need? Does the old unit just slide out and can I pop this one right in? Thanks for your help.:)

·
Premium Member
3,546 Posts
It's on the list, the bottom one on the 2nd group of REN radios. it looks like it would work but the uconnect most likely wont (will need a mod, mic. and dealer programming) The site I sent you says MSRP is $1020. I don't know if you saw it or not but it said the plug is damaged. You might want to check into it.

·
Registered
195 Posts
I just added the rer mygig into my '10 se. The bezel doesn't need to be changed and everything was plug and play. The mygig I used was out of an '09 GC.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Me too. I bought a 2010 mygig unit with Nav from a Challenger RT and installed it myself. Took me 15 minutes and I had no idea what I was doing. Just add a mic, and a GPS antenna, (since mine didn't come with one), and bolt it in. No trip to the dealer, no new bezel, and it works great. The GPS antenna and mic were on ebay, (As was the mygig unit). VERY inexpensive way to go, and it's just like factory installed except for the lack of roof GPS antenna.

·
Registered
205 Posts
i have no idea what mine came out of. got it off ebay for $250... basic 20gig with no sirius or nav. when i installed it (plug-n-play) the display first showed "Chrysler" with the wings.. then the next time i started it up, it showed "Dodge"... so it knows what its in.

·
Banned
368 Posts
[QUOTE=ehornung; aVERY inexpensive way to go, and it's just like factory installed except for the lack of roof GPS antenna.

just to let you know ehornung, the antenna on the roof is for sirius satelite not your gps. the antenna for the gps goes inside your dash. sooo you may say it is like a factory installed radio

·
Registered
35 Posts
Even better!

ehornung; aVERY inexpensive way to go said:
I wasn't sure what the roof antenna was.... since I don't have one. My unit came from another same-year Challenger... and it worked instantly without any dealer involvement. Maybe that's unusual and I got lucky with it being a working unit in a similar car.... Don't know. I kept reading posts from people saying the mic wouldn't work, and various things would have to be changed... so I just got started thinking I'd quit as soon as something didn't go well.... but it was installed and working perfectly in just minutes. I was surprised since all I know how to do with cars is put gas in and put miles on :)
E

·
Registered
143 Posts
i was thinking of doing this upgrade .. i dont care for navigation or sirus sat.....

the 6 disc changer or a usb enabled one would benefit me greatly...

which is my cheapest option?

·
Registered
235 Posts
The best price for a MyGiG with NAV I have found has been on Ebay and that was $850. They said they will program the system, so it doesn't need to go to the dealer. That has me wondering since everything I have seen about U-Connect is that the dealer needs to add it to you car using the star-scan. I'm looking on upgrading my 130 media center in my Mopar-10, so any ideas would be helpful.:thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
2,797 Posts
the RER mygig has built-in Uconnect, sirius, and Navigation. it does not require any programming.

the REN mygig does not have Navigation or built-in Uconnect. if you add the REN, you will also need the Uconnect module and programming to enable it.

in the long run, it would be easier and cheaper just to find a used RER radio.

·
Premium Member
3,546 Posts
The lockpick does say it will enable the Uconnect on nav units, You just add a mic. If that is true then there must be something you can do to enable it thru the radio.

·
Registered
235 Posts
the RER mygig has built-in Uconnect, sirius, and Navigation. it does not require any programming.

the REN mygig does not have Navigation or built-in Uconnect. if you add the REN, you will also need the Uconnect module and programming to enable it.

in the long run, it would be easier and cheaper just to find a used RER radio.
Sorry if this is a stupid question, the RER are already configured for Sirius, you don't need to add a tuner or anything else? My RT has Sirius already and would hate to lose it.

·
Premium Member
2,797 Posts
Sorry if this is a stupid question, the RER are already configured for Sirius, you don't need to add a tuner or anything else? My RT has Sirius already and would hate to lose it.

you will lose the sirius. the signal is send to the radio, not the car. you would need to call sirius up and start a new subscription with the new radio. they will need the sirius ID numbers off that radio.

i waited until my sirius subscription expired, then swapped the radios.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
thanks

Thanks a lot for all of your help... Guess all i need to do now is come across a good deal on ebay. Looks like the best price i see for the non nav unit is 450bin.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts