Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone installed MBRP's new drone-free exhaust for a 6 speed Challenger SRT8?

My buddy just traded in his 09 R/T 6 speed on a 2010 SRT8 6 speed. His R/T had the original MBRP exhaust and it did drone so he is thinking of ordering the new drone-free MBRP exhaust and asked me to post this question.

For those that own the new MBRP what are your thoughts? Anyone have any actual experience comparing the original MBRP to the new MBRP? Is the tone and sound the same, just no drone?

Thanks, Rob

·
Registered
304 Posts
Its sitting in a box in my garage - should have installed in the next week.

I'll let you know how it sounds/performs when its done.

With my recent heads and cam, I need my car to breathe. I hope this gets me there.

Eric

·
Registered
33 Posts
Interested as well

I too would be interested in this. I've been wrestling with a decision between Corsa and MBRP and the drone issue balanced against the extra cost is where I sit. The Corsa is about $500 more but at 50 years old I already have a hard enough time hearing as it is.

Thanks!!

·
Registered
304 Posts
I understand this exhaust also works for the auto? I am planning on getting it soon for my 09 SRT
PN S7110 - is the drone free exhaust.

I purchased it from a genteman who bought it for an SRT8 auto, but had some fitment issues. He indicated the exhaust works for the 6 speed SRT8 and a person who he knows has the same exhaust in his 6 speed and it works well.

If you have anything other than the 6 speed SRT8, you may want to call MBRP direct to figure it out.

Eric

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
PN S7110 - is the drone free exhaust.

I purchased it from a genteman who bought it for an SRT8 auto, but had some fitment issues. He indicated the exhaust works for the 6 speed SRT8 and a person who he knows has the same exhaust in his 6 speed and it works well.

If you have anything other than the 6 speed SRT8, you may want to call MBRP direct to figure it out.

Eric
So did you install it, if so how about a little review!

·
Registered
304 Posts
Not in yet - busy with work and has been too cold/messy to even consider bringing it to a shop to get put on yet. Will try to get done ASAP then give review.

Eric

·
Registered
304 Posts
Had them installed today.

Report in a little while.

Start here with the video - sorry about the wind noise. This is a few mild passes of my wife driving car to give you an idea of the sound.

Note car has hi flow cats, CNC heads and big cam.

Eric

·
Registered
302 Posts
That sounds awesome, love the sound of a cammed 6.1!

Personally for me im going to go with the Corsa Xtreme again, on my Charger with a big cam that exhaust was just outrite nasty!

·
Registered
304 Posts
MBRP S7110 Challenger SRT8 cat back dual exhaust with tuning tubes for no drone.

Muffler shop did the work since easier on a lift than on jacks in the garage (not impossible just a PITA)

Shop removed old cat back. Cut passenger side pipe so it would fit in trunk to avoid return with my truck to pick up - if put back on can be welded together.

New system starte assembly on floor to see how tuning pipes and straps work. Little readjusting of these straps and bolt to resonator not difficult but need to work it.

Positioned all pipes/resonator/muffler/tips hanging on rubber hangers in place. once all was in place pushed/pulled/twisted and aligned system and tightened all into position.

All is close but anticipate all clamps will need retighten after some heat cycles so I will fine adjust then.

All ready to go in less than 1 hour.

Performance/sound

Since I have substantial head/cam/tuning I (and my wife) have been driving the car mildly till we get some logs checked out and verify AFR is safe.

The car sounds more aggressive at an idle as well as when I step into it. Not much louder than the 6 speed exhaust (remember the 6 speed has the suitcase mufflers ommitted) but sharper more muscular sound - yes it sounds like a muscle car not a euro tuner car. The car feels more responsive, but I think the old exhaust was choking all that head and cam - let's see after fine another dyno tuning and being safe on AFR. Sure is nice to get rid of the big heavy mufflers and relatively ugly welds on the factory exhaust.

Drone - non existent - this system has an exhaust sound you can hear with some RPMs but no annoying drone - drove a lot in the 1500 to 2000 rpm range in all gears to see if I get this resonance/drone - none - Think these guys got it solved.

Overall, Like the fit finish and function of the system.

I bought my system from a guy who put it on an auto SRT8 and had some fitment issues. Not sure the system will fit automatic, the only area Im not sure about is the hangers that hold up the suitcase muffler (auto) vs the hangers on the 6 speed holding the pipe/small muffler/resonator.

I hope this helps. Didn't get many pictures - they kept me out from under car for insurance/OSHA regs - so I'll deal.

Hope to get you more pics and video and maybe a dyno sheet once I get it tuned.

Eric

·
Registered
657 Posts
Great feedback! Thanks for posting your experience with our new SRT-8 system. Hope to get an auto in the spring to do some testing on but its -20 up here right now and not many Challenger's running around in the snow.

Steve

·
Registered
160 Posts
Great feedback! Thanks for posting your experience with our new SRT-8 system. Hope to get an auto in the spring to do some testing on but its -20 up here right now and not many Challenger's running around in the snow.

Steve
Hi

What is the price for this system? It is not on your web site.

What is the difference between

S7110304 and S7110409

Thanks

Jack

·
Registered
247 Posts
So the 6 speed system will not fit the auto at all??? I was planning on getting this very soon for my auto but it seems like it won't fit...

Why is it so hard to make a version of this exhaust for the Auto version? There is already one for the old system. I really don't want to waste my money on a CORSA system since I hate the sound but need the exhaust to be drone free and so far it's my only option :(

·
Registered
304 Posts
Talk to MBRP about auto fit - I cant answer that.

Talk to the Corsa users - it might be a drone free system already.

Eric

So the 6 speed system will not fit the auto at all??? I was planning on getting this very soon for my auto but it seems like it won't fit...

Why is it so hard to make a version of this exhaust for the Auto version? There is already one for the old system. I really don't want to waste my money on a CORSA system since I hate the sound but need the exhaust to be drone free and so far it's my only option :(

·
Registered
33 Posts
MBRP Cat-back system

I had an MBRP system installed on my SE last weekend. I absolutely love the sound at low speeds and do not mind the temporary drone at higher rpms. When out the highway, however, and I've got it up to around 70mph and the rpms remain consistant around 2000 it gets absolutely annoying.

The shop that put the system on for me called MBRP and were told on one call that the resonators could be put on backward. On a followup call, they were told that it didn't matter. The mechanic noticed that the inside of the resonator was different on each. I am taking it back this weekend and he is going to flip one of them and we'll see if it helps.

I'll let you know how it goes.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts