Dodge Challenger Forum banner

2010 Challenger SRT8 to 1969 Charger body swap project

697 11
Well. I have had this idea for a couple years, and now I am finally sort of getting to it. The Gen 2 Charger has always been my favorite car(s) both the Daytona and Normal Charger, and I have always wanted one, but over the past few years, prices have kept going up and up and up. That is when I got the idea of a full Chassis swap, and turns out Steve Mirabelli and a couple others have already done it in one way or another. However, those cars had a couple aspects I did not like, the main aspect being the large, positive offset wheels, which are required to clear the big LX brakes, and tuck under the Charger body. So I had the idea of narrowing the whole LX suspension to tuck under the Charge body better, and allow more wheel options, and sure enough, that led to the idea of converting to 15" wheels. I would need smaller brakes, however Wilwood makes a street-able 15" conversion kit for these LX cars, the problem being the price tag lol. Anyway, this really all starts when I picked up a crashed 3.5 V6 300, that I ended up converting into a race car for my local Dirt track. I now had an LX I could mess around with and not feel bad about ruining. I test fit some 15" wheels I had on the front with the brakes removed, and then had another idea. Another thing I did not like about other LX swaps I've seen was how low the Radiator hung down. So I chopped the lower rad mound from the 300 and raised it up about 2.25 inches. This wasn't a problem because I needed to build a custom upper mount anyways because the crash.

Musical instrument String instrument Folk instrument Guitar accessory Plucked string instruments

Vehicle Automotive tire Hood Motor vehicle Tire

Tire Wheel Vehicle Car Automotive tire

The Race went well, Car was driving great with the little 3.5 and was one of the faster cars there, until I cut a trans line and the Nag went into limp mode....

Car Land vehicle Tire Wheel Vehicle

Also around this time, I picked up another Challenger, well a bare shell. 2010 SRT8 Challenger, which was a 6.1 Manual car, however fully stripped with some minor front end damage. So now I had the perfect Chassis for my 69 Charger body swap, (116 vs 117 wheelbase both 2 dr, the 300 is 120 and 4dr) Next I need an LX suspension to put in it, and guess who has a 300 sitting around now, bingo. However before I put the suspension in the Challenger, It was time to see if I can Narrow the track width from about 64" to 60" to match the B Body. I ended up cutting, and taking 2" out of the upper control arms, and for the lower, I cut 2" off the end of the steering rack, and instead of cutting and welding the lower arms, I redrilled the mounting holes in the Cradle 2" inward. I had to remove the support cup things, but welded plates on the outside for added shear strength.

Wood Bicycle part Metal Auto part Font

Tool Wood Auto part Automotive tire Gas

Vehicle Wheel Crankset Bicycle tire Tire

Wheel Automotive tire Light Tire Vehicle

ALSO somewhere in there I picked up a Ford 8.8 Axle out of an Exploder, the reason I got the Explorer one is because it has a very similar width as the B Body Charger, and will match the Narrowed front end. I could try and Narrow the rear IRS, ( and still might as a side project) but I think I'm going to try and convert this car to the Solid Axle setup, similar to the Challenger Drag Pack cars.

Wood Gas Machine Metal Engineering

Going back to the front end, now that I have the front end in the 59.5-60" range, but I still needed a way to fit 15" wheels on it for the true Classic look. I started looking into other cars that had the 5x115 BP and 15" wheels. Turns out the GM Malibu/Alero/Grand Am platform from the late 90s to mid 00s was exactly what I was looking for. They had the 115 BP and a similar offset to the LX brakes. I went to my local junkyard, and found a Malibu with nearly new brakes and scooped them right up. Now, they don't bolt right on, I did have to do some modifications. The Center bore on the GM was 70.5mm vs the LX 71.5mm, So I took a hub off the car, and used it to spin the rotor while grinding the inside to open it up 1mm or so. Next was mounting the Calipers. Turns out the GMs used the same bolt size, and the holes on the caliper were very close to lining up. I was able to reuse the upper Caliper hole, but had to drill and tap a new hole for the lower bolt. I also needed to get longer bolts, and had to use washers to offset the caliper inline with the rotor on the LX hub. I wanted to use my Nascar/D window steel wheels, and they were slightly rubbing on the caliper face in a couple spots, so a bit of grinding and cutting the one brace solved that.

Automotive tire Gas Auto part Rim Automotive wheel system
Reactions: Drag City
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2009SRT8 + 2010SRT8>69Charger
367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Tire Automotive tire Locking hubs Vehicle Vehicle brake

Wheel Tire Automotive tire Tread Crankset

Tire Automotive tire Wheel Motor vehicle Tread

While yes the brakes are slightly smaller, I think the stopping power should be adequate, and if not I can always convert it to 17" wheels, oh and also, these wheels will be sandblasted and repainted, they are ugly right now lol.
Door Automotive tire Wood Rim Automotive wheel system

I also picked up a rare NON ABS junction block, which would normally be found in fleet 2.7 LX cars.

Motor vehicle Hood Automotive tire Automotive lighting Automotive exterior

As for powertrain, the car is running and driving with all the 300 v6 parts in it right now, but I want an Eagle 5.7 for it, and I think an MA5 Manual Trans.

The next part of this project will likely be trying to get the 8.8 into it.

I am trying to do this project on the cheap, because, well, I'm a kid with no money LOL, but so far I am happy with my progress, and I think my goal is the have the car running and driving next summer, but with the Challenger body, before I order all the Charger sheet metal. I think I want to go with a 1 part Fiberglass Charger front clip, Fiberglass doors, and the rest in AMD Sheet metal, besides the original trunk lid I have

Anyway, I spent like an hour typing all this bs, enjoy a couple more photos LOL

Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Sky

Wheel Tire Car Cloud Vehicle

Wheel Tire Car Land vehicle Vehicle

Thanks for reading if you got this far, and wish me luck LOL

·
Registered
238 Posts
Not the motor id be putting in that project but two each his own...... Thats a LOT of work bro. Need something more interesting then a stock SRT8 motor.

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
35,950 Posts
You are quite ambitious, good on ya (y) Keep us updated as you go please

A Guy

Reactions: theblaisez24

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Not the motor id be putting in that project but two each his own...... Thats a LOT of work bro. Need something more interesting then a stock SRT8 motor.
I would love a better engine for it, and it may get it in the future, but for now this is a pretty limited budget build, and even with that said, it should be over 400whp with cam+headers. If I wasn't budget concerned it would already have the wilwood brakes lol

·
Registered
2018 Plum M6 Scat Pack with Shaker
426 Posts
I said above I would bide my time in my earlier post, but thought about this a bit.

With this body swap, I think you must do a roll cage. The '69 body is just not strong enough to save your neck in a rollover. Consider this early in the swap so you plan for and pick up good mounting points.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I said above I would bide my time in my earlier post, but thought about this a bit.

With this body swap, I think you must do a roll cage. The '69 body is just not strong enough to save your neck in a rollover. Consider this early in the swap so you plan for and pick up good mounting points.
Yes I will more than likely be doing a cage, I still have some tubing left over from a project a couple years ago, It will also tie into the rear suspension mounts for the 8.8 axle

1 - 12 of 12 Posts