Dodge Challenger Forum banner

2010 challenger, vinyl top

23K views 45 replies 30 participants last post by  ken kamins 
#1 ·
What'da think? :)

Attachments

See less See more
#4 ·
I love it, but I think that your car could use a tad more chrome. Just a few accents, like the door handles and some bottom trim for the vinyl (not all out). Could be just me, though.

#8 ·
Yes I really like that look. Any one with mysterious dents on their roof, this is one way to fix that. This is why this modern Challenger is such a great design. These retro touches work so well on these cars. Could you imagine what a vinyl top would look like on a new camaro?
I have yet to see a black vinyl top on a black Challenger. Black on black on black.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

#9 · (Edited)
Looks wicked awesome. Quality looks excellent thumbs up!

It'd complete the look if you could find some center mount fogs near the bottom grille and get rid of the oem ones! That's something I haven't seen yet though.

#13 ·
The vinyl top haters like to bring up the rust issues (unlikely on a modern Challenger) or how it makes the cars look like convertible wannabes, but if you're old enough to have drooled over cars from that era... it's a mod that just gives you the warm and fuzzies. :woot:

Reactions: ChicksMopar
#17 ·
Looks absolutely great. Very sharp, love the old school look. Thank you for sharing your pics.

Reactions: USRWDV8
#18 ·
While I don't care for this type of mod, this is the best one I've seen yet.

They did a really good job on this. I also agree that adding chrome (not sure how you would do it) around the windows would complete the look.

This one does really look good.

#19 · (Edited)
I'm going to comment on this again because I really don't agree with the posts saying adding chrome. Your car doesn't really have any exterior chrome anyway. I think you'd be opening up a big can of worms...lol...I say leave it the way it is!

#20 ·
I agree. I would go as far as to say that I think your car would look great if you maintained the black accent theme - change the gas cap to a Drake black style cap, and at some point go black on the wheels. I think the end result would be great. At the end of the day, do what you like and enjoy. So far she looks just beautiful.

#23 · (Edited)
^^^ I'm sure the OP will appreciate your input. "Pass"? It's not a poll.

See, the reason why chrome was brought up (I'm not for a full dress-up - it can get gaudy quick), is that a vinyl top is purely an appearance mod, and a retro one at that. On a modern dechromed car it looks like a fedora worn on a modern suit: confused. Appearance mods need to be coordinated to create a whole, unified look that tells a story.

And there is chrome on the car (rims and gas cap cover) so I was suggesting some tasteful accenting, like some trim at the bottom of the C-pillars to replace the black one, for example. I realize that chrome is not 'in', but neither is vinyl - they belong to another era... that the Challenger happens to come from. Me, it's the attempts at reinventing the Challenger as a hip, neo-retro car, with huge rims and lights coming out of every hole that don't do it for me. Not that I comment in threads for those, mind you - to each their own.

Here's a rather successful attempt a recreating a retro look and honoring the car's heritage:

Attachments

#25 ·
I like it. I'm trying to remember if the vinyl top covered the A pillars "back in the day".

#27 ·
Hate when people bring up the rust issue. That's such BS. Is there rust under your spoiler? How bout under decals, windshield shooters, door handles, etc? No. Because its painted. And unless you repainted the car yourself and are REALLY bad with a gun, it's not going to rust. Regardless of what you think of the mod aesthetically, don't point out bogus technical issues.

Reactions: USRWDV8
#28 ·
Super nice! Mine hits the shop on Tuesday for the same thing

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.